Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 02-07-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Hello from France

Hello guys,

I'm from France, and I've decided to join the forum after lurking for a few weeks.

I'm working as a consultant in IT, currently on project management missions.
I'm reading a lot, in french, english and italian, mainly fiction paper books and comics (french format, not american format).
In a perfect world, I would be writing books on top of reading them, but I'm mostly collecting ideas at the current stage.

I've had a Palm Tungsten T5 for a few years now, but I did not use it to read a lot.
After a review of the current playing field, triggered by the release of the Kindle, I've decided to continue to use it for at least a few months in order to see how things evolve.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:25 AM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Bon jour and welcome to the Forum. How do French comics differ from American in format?
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2008, 03:50 AM   #3
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
In order to explain this, I think it's easier to quote a Wikipedia article :
Quote:
In the United States, when a publisher collects previously serialised stories, such a collection is commonly referred to as either a trade paperback or as a graphic novel. These are books, typically squarebound and published with a card cover, containing no adverts. They generally collect a single story, which has been broken into a number of chapters previously serialised in comic books, with the issues collectively known as a story arc. Such trade paperbacks can contain anywhere from four issues (for example, there is Kingdom Come by Mark Waid and Alex Ross) to as many as twenty (The Death of Superman).
In continental Europe, especially Belgium and France, such collections are usually somewhat larger in size and published with a hardback cover, a format established by the Tintin' series in the 1930's. These are referred to as comic albums,[27] a term which in the United States refers to anthology books. The United Kingdom has no great tradition of such collections, although during the 1980's Titan publishing launched a line collecting stories previously published in 2000 AD.
From what I know about american comics (biased by being in another country), I'd say you can add the following usual differencies :
- the size : here, most of the time, the page is in A4 format
- the length : an album is usually 48 to 60 pages, and a story runs most of the time on 3 to 6 albums, I'd say. There are longer series, over 20 albums, but they are far from being the majority.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote