Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
retsaw
retsaw began at the beginning.

Device: Nook SimpleTouch Glowlight
Partly Broken Screen - Is it possible to just use working part?

I know it's not terribly expensive to buy a replacement Mini, but it was mostly an impulse buy and I can't really justify another £60 for a new one, especially when what I really want is a Mini with a glow light.

As a Linux user of 10 years I'm fairly familiar with the ins and outs of Linux, so I shouldn't have trouble modifying the system files, so what I want to know if there is any way to make my Kobo Mini think the screen is smaller than it really is so it doesn't use the broken part, the damage is 15mm of the width on the right side of the screen, so if I can get it to ignore that, at least in the book reader, it would make it usable again until Kobo brings out a Mini with the built-in light.

So if anybody knows how to do this or even have any idea of where to start poking around to achieve this I'd love to hear it.

Or alternatively I might consider replacing the screen if I can get a replacement screen for less than £40 shipped, but I couldn't find any when I looked.

Last edited by retsaw; 12-15-2012 at 02:34 PM.
retsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Might be a stupid idea, but if it is too complicated to modify the linux internals you could try setting bigger right margins to the books. Might however be difficult to handle the settings menu and the font option menu without seeing the right hand 15 mm of the screen.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
tshering has a good idea. But, do it via the "Kobo eReader.conf" file in .kobo/Kobo. If you do it there you can set the left and right margins individually. The maximum the settings dialog will go to is either 15 or 16 which I thinks is more than you need. You can try a higher number, it might work and won't break anything.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
retsaw
retsaw began at the beginning.

Device: Nook SimpleTouch Glowlight
Thanks for the responses. I had actually tried setting the margins, but it didn't have an effect for the regular epubs I tried, and it was sub-optimal for the Kobo epubs. After reading tshering's comment I realised I hadn't actually updated the firmware since just after I bought it, so the firmware update got it to recognise the margin settings for regular epubs, that is until I tried davidfor's suggestion which works great for Kobo epubs, but for my regular ones I've loaded it stayed on the previously set margin settings. After a little poking around and I discover a reference to margins in the .kobo/KoboReader.sqlite file, but editing the values in there, which is per book and for some reason only had three books listed in the "content_settings" section of the database, anyway after editing the margins for those books, it ignores them completely. My next step has been to delete that sqlite database in the hope it will generate a new one, it is currently "processing content" after a reboot, so I'll get to bed and have another look at it in the morning. Perhaps I'll be able to do something with the margin settings for my epubs in Calibre.
retsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
Thanks for the responses. I had actually tried setting the margins, but it didn't have an effect for the regular epubs I tried, and it was sub-optimal for the Kobo epubs. After reading tshering's comment I realised I hadn't actually updated the firmware since just after I bought it, so the firmware update got it to recognise the margin settings for regular epubs, that is until I tried davidfor's suggestion which works great for Kobo epubs, but for my regular ones I've loaded it stayed on the previously set margin settings. After a little poking around and I discover a reference to margins in the .kobo/KoboReader.sqlite file, but editing the values in there, which is per book and for some reason only had three books listed in the "content_settings" section of the database, anyway after editing the margins for those books, it ignores them completely. My next step has been to delete that sqlite database in the hope it will generate a new one, it is currently "processing content" after a reboot, so I'll get to bed and have another look at it in the morning. Perhaps I'll be able to do something with the margin settings for my epubs in Calibre.
The problems you are seeing:

- In the past, the Kobo devices respect the style settings in the epubs. So, if the margins are set in the epub, the device won't over-ride them. This should have changed in FW2.3.1, but I don't know of that will have been rolled out to you yet. For earlier firmware, you need to remove the left and right margins from the styles in the epubs.

- When you change the settings for a book, they are stored in the content_settings table for the next time you open the book. The conf file also gets updated to these values.

- The settings in the conf file are for any book that has not had the settings changed and saved in the table.

For what you are doing, modifying the content_settings rows should be enough if the epubs don't have margins set inside them. Or removing the rows and relying on the conf file would work to. Deleting the database completely, is a very bad idea.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert