Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-31-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
stefan_80000
stefan_80000 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 350
Connection Error every time i plugin my reader (PRS 350)

Hello,

i am new here and my first post is a question.

I use Calibre 0.8.61 with Ubuntu 12.04 erverthing works fine until now. Last time i pluged in my Sony PRS 350 and Ubuntu and Calibre had found the reader and a nautilus window of the reader poped up. I closed the window to work again with Calibre. Few seconds later there was a Error warning of Calibre. Now every time i open Calibre and plugin the reader, Calibre find the reader but ew seconds later following Error pops up.

calibre, version 0.8.61
FEHLER: Fehler: Fehler bei der Kommunikation mit dem Gerät

[Errno 30] Das Dateisystem ist nur lesbar: '/media/READER/database/cache/media.xml'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 82, in run
self.result = self.func(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 339, in _books
mainlist = self.device.books(oncard=None, end_session=False)
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/devices/prs505/driver.py", line 199, in books
bl = USBMS.books(self, oncard=oncard, end_session=end_session)
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/devices/usbms/driver.py", line 246, in books
self.sync_booklists((bl, None, None))
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/devices/prs505/driver.py", line 228, in sync_booklists
c.write()
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/devices/prs505/sony_cache.py", line 727, in write
with open(path, 'wb') as f:
IOError: [Errno 30] Das Dateisystem ist nur lesbar: '/media/READER/database/cache/media.xml'

The reader seems to be ok because when i use the original Sony software everthing seems to be ok.

Can sombody help me? I want to use Calibre again. Sorry about my bad english.

Stefan
stefan_80000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:21 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....-connect-to-it
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2012, 02:38 AM   #3
stefan_80000

Thank you for your fast answer. I'm a newbie in Linux so you have to help me please.

When i write mount in the terminal i get this answer:

stefan@stefan-ubuntu1010:~$ mount
/dev/sda5 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=0755)
none on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=5242880)
none on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/stefan/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=stefan)
/dev/sdc1 on /media/D03CE80D3CE7EC82 type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,b lksize=4096)
/dev/sdd on /media/READER type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,gid=1000,shortname=mixed ,dmask=0077,utf8=1,showexec,flush,uhelper=udisks)
/dev/sde on /media/SETTING type vfat (ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,sync,uid=1000,gid=1000,sho rtname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,showexec,uid=1000,g id=1000,uhelper=udisks)
stefan@stefan-ubuntu1010:~$

Now the only thing i have to do is to write in the terminal

sudo fsck.vfat -y /dev/sdd on /media/READER

Is that right?

Stefan
Old 08-01-2012, 02:49 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yes .
Old 08-06-2012, 05:59 AM   #5
stefan_80000

Hi nothing happend the error is still.

Here is my terminal protocoll

stefan@stefan-ubuntu1010:~$ sudo fsck.vfat -y /dev/sdd on /media/READER
[sudo] password for stefan:
usage: fsck.vfat [-aAflrtvVwy] [-d path -d ...] [-u path -u ...]
device
-a automatically repair the file system
-A toggle Atari file system format
-d path drop that file
-f salvage unused chains to files
-l list path names
-n no-op, check non-interactively without changing
-p same as -a, for compat with other *fsck
-r interactively repair the file system
-t test for bad clusters
-u path try to undelete that (non-directory) file
-v verbose mode
-V perform a verification pass
-w write changes to disk immediately
-y same as -a, for compat with other *fsck
Advert
Old 08-06-2012, 06:14 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan_80000 View Post

Here is my terminal protocol
I'm not a linux user but using your eReaders menu to format internal memory should fix things up. Of course after you do this you will have to re-transfer whatever books you wish to read back to your device.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:14 AM   #7
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:

Here is my terminal protocoll

stefan@stefan-ubuntu1010:~$ sudo fsck.vfat -y /dev/sdd on /media/READER
usage: fsck.vfat [-aAflrtvVwy] [-d path -d ...] [-u path -u ...]
device
-a automatically repair the file system
-A toggle Atari file system format
-d path drop that file
-f salvage unused chains to files
-l list path names
-n no-op, check non-interactively without changing
-p same as -a, for compat with other *fsck
-r interactively repair the file system
-t test for bad clusters
-u path try to undelete that (non-directory) file
-v verbose mode
-V perform a verification pass
-w write changes to disk immediately
-y same as -a, for compat with other *fsck
This is the command line help, which means you made a mistake in the fsck.vat command line syntax. And you did; it should be just the device at the end, not everything else.

Try 'sudo fsck.vfat -y /dev/sdd' (without the quotes of course).
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:23 AM   #8
stefan_80000

ok i tried

stefan@stefan-ubuntu1010:~$ sudo fsck.vfat -y /dev/sdd
dosfsck 3.0.12, 29 Oct 2011, FAT32, LFN
FATs differ but appear to be intact. Using first FAT.
/metadata.calibre
File size is 612127 bytes, cluster chain length is 241664 bytes.
Truncating file to 241664 bytes.
/metadata.calibre and
/DATABASE/thumbnail/DATABASE/MEDIA/BOOKS/News/Pro-Linux.de [Fr, 27 Jul 2012]_2012-7-27_230.epub
share clusters.
Truncating second to 237568 bytes.
Unable to create unique name

but the error is still there

calibre, version 0.8.63
FEHLER: Fehler: Fehler bei der Kommunikation mit dem Gerät

[Errno 30] Das Dateisystem ist nur lesbar: u'/media/READER/database/media/books/Stefan/Ausarbeitung MBH - Stefan_208.pdf'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 82, in run
self.result = self.func(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 455, in _upload_books
metadata=metadata, end_session=False)
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/devices/usbms/driver.py", line 267, in upload_books
filepath = self.put_file(infile, filepath, replace_file=True)
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/devices/usbms/cli.py", line 50, in put_file
dest, actual_path = case_preserving_open_file(path)
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/utils/filenames.py", line 182, in case_preserving_open_file
ans = open(os.path.join(cpath, fname), mode)
IOError: [Errno 30] Das Dateisystem ist nur lesbar: u'/media/READER/database/media/books/Stefan/Ausarbeitung MBH - Stefan_208.pdf'

@ dwanthny

I don't want to format my reader. Last time i've done this, there was an interal error in the reader and i had to send it to sony to get it fixed.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:26 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Your OS is still mounting the device readonly. If the fsck didn't fix it, then you have no choice but to format.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:27 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't want to format my reader. Last time i've done this, there was an interal error in the reader and i had to send it to sony to get it fixed.
I can understand your hesitation, but if your ereader won't format using the menu on your ereader then you have bigger problems. Don't try and format your ereader from the computer. Disconnect your device then find the area of the menu that is used to format internal memory and you should be fine.

Good Luck.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:21 AM   #11
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Problem is that none of us here are linux users however we know all about electronic books. Thus we may not be able to help becuase of your OS, one solution is to go to this fourm http://www.linuxforums.org/, where they will all use linux but getting advice about your specific book reader may nto eb possible becuase they might not yet use book readers. So half of your anwewr will be obtained here and half over at the linux forums. My recommendation is to go to the linux forums and ask them about your question, but come back here when you need to talk about ereaders specifically having nothing to do with the OS.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Problem is that none of us here are linux users however we know all about electronic books.
If I'm not mistaken Kovid develops calibre on a linux machine and mbovenka obviously knows his way around the basic command structure. The bottom line is he has already been helped, Linux mounts a usb device in read only mode if it detects any problem. The ways to correct this are as follows.

1.) Perform file system check and repair on the device.
If that doesn't work
2.) Perform a format of internal memory using the ereader's menu structure.

There is not more to it. For a more complicated problem you could be right, but in this case it is relatively basic.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:07 AM   #13
stefan_80000

Thank you to all.

I performed a format of the device. Now everthing seems to worky correctly.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:49 AM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Thank you to all.
You're welcome. I'm glad to see things are working again.