Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
Jade Aislin
Groupie
Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Auro H2O, PRS-T1
limiting collections in automatic management

When I send to my device, I like having metadata management set to automatic as it fills out the collections I want. However, it gives me more than I really want. For example, I want to have collections for my favorite authors, but not others. I've tried switching to manual to get rid of the unwanted collections. However, if I switch back to automatic, the unwanted collections are recreated, even when those books are in a different library.

Is there a way to limit what calibre will put into collections? If I only want collections for a couple authors, can I tell it to grab authors for collections, but ignore certain values (names)?
Jade Aislin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:30 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Go to the device interface plugin for the device in question (preferences -> plugins -> device interface plugins) and change the "list of fields to turn into collections" to be the fields you want.

Calibre makes collections for all the values in a field. The only way to make a subset is to use another field containing the values you want. In some cases a "column made from other columns" will work.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
Jade Aislin
Groupie
Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Auro H2O, PRS-T1
So, I should make a custom column that looks for specific authors from the authors column to populate itself?

For example, if I have authors A and B. I set the custom column to look for author A to put in its field. When it goes through the list of authors it pulls author A and leaves author B alone. Then I would have a field that had only the authors I wanted in my collections and could use that custom column to make my collections.
Jade Aislin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Aislin View Post
So, I should make a custom column that looks for specific authors from the authors column to populate itself?

For example, if I have authors A and B. I set the custom column to look for author A to put in its field. When it goes through the list of authors it pulls author A and leaves author B alone. Then I would have a field that had only the authors I wanted in my collections and could use that custom column to make my collections.
You are describing an "ultimate" solution -- a custom column that contains the items (authors) for whom you want collections made. In this case you would use a "column made from other columns, behaves like tags" so that you could put multiple values in the column. The problem: author names frequently contain commas, making this column type potentially problematic. You can avoid this by changing the commas to semicolons (or something).

If you make a tags-like column that contains names, then you could manually add author names with commas. However, this is a pain because you would need to manually update every book.

If you know in advance the authors, then the best solution is to write a custom template function that extracts those authors, changing characters as needed. Second best would be to write a template in General Program Mode that does the same thing, but this would be much slower. Both solutions require some level of programming know-how.

Apologies, but what you want to do is at the edge of what calibre does. It is possible to achieve, but not easily.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote