Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Audiobooks.com Launches a Spotify for Books

http://mashable.com/2012/01/24/audiobooks-com

Personally, I'm not dropping more than $10/mo on any media service, and not likely to drop that much. Also, it takes me weeks to finish an audiobook--I dropped Audible because the credits piled up much faster than I cared to use them. Still, I can see how some people would appreciate this service in terms of sampling and browsing without committing to a purchase. Some people have a lot more time for audiobooks, too--long commutes and such, assuming you have data for this streaming service on your commute.

Would any of you use a service like this one? Is the cost too much?
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
$25 per month? Are they crazy? No way.

edit: just realized you need a net connection to listen to them. That's a no go at any price.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 01-24-2012 at 11:27 AM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
$25 per month? Are they crazy? No way.

edit: just realized you need a net connection to listen to them. That's a no go at any price.
I agree on both counts. This is a non-starter...
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I go through a lot of audiobooks each month, so I spent some time browsing their selection. I'd maybe pay $9.99 tops (more like $5.99-$7.99).

As it looks now the selection isn't very good and I'm not sure I like the need for a constant net connection. Would definately have to give their free trial a go to see how well their streaming is and to see how usable it is while on the go.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
The comments on the article are mostly positive. More and more people are using services like Pandora w/ mobile data in their car and on transit; streaming isn't going to be an obstacle for them. Streaming has its pros, too. Audiobook files are ginormous, and in the six years I've been using them, I've only re-listened to one (World War Z, several times).

I do think they're looking at a minority of audiobook users who go through enough books in a month to justify the cost vs. purchasing downloads. Most books on Audible are $10-25, right?
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

With public libraries, LibriVox, and Audible, you can use an MP3 player. With this service, you can't. You're tethered to the net and larger devices. Not very mobile friendly.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #7
BoiseShan
Connoisseur
BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle
You lost me at "per month."
BoiseShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:39 AM   #8
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I'm a platinum Audible subscriber, so I already spend about $25 a month ($22.95, I think), but the limited selection and connection requirement are deal breakers for me.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Audible's also too expensive. So I rely primarily on the public library and a few free sources.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
For me it's a trade off. I only pay $10 a month for my mobile phone service.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #11
monkeygirl351
Connoisseur
monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, ipad, and kindle 3
I tried audiobooks, but I don't think they are for me. My fiance got the audiobook for ready player one, and we listened to it on our drive to my parents and back. It is his favorite book and he has the ebook, audiobook, and a signed copy of the hardback lol. Anyways, the audiobook was good, but I think I will read the ebook version again to absorb it better. i just feel I don't get as much out of audiobooks. As to the price for this service, it is kinda high for not a great selection, plus you are streaming. I believe that my library has more audiobooks than that, and they are free! I think if I do decide to get into audiobooks, I'll stick to my library.
monkeygirl351 is offline   Reply With Quote