Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-29-2007, 05:07 AM   #1
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket; Hiebook; N700; Sony 505; Kindle DX ...
505: complete list of shops

sorry to bother you again about this,
but I just discovered that my friend (who should buy my 505 while in the US in the next days) will live in a hotel rather far from both SonyStyle and Borders.
So I'd like to know if there are other shops now carrying the item: compUSA? which other?

thanks for any info...

Alessandro
alexxxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:48 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Where will he be in the USA? That would help us to try to find a shop locally that might have the 505. That said, he could order one online and have it sent to the hotel.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2007, 10:08 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
According to their current AD Best Buy has them.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:08 AM   #4
digicatz
digicatz began at the beginning.

Device: considering the Sony model for the $299, with $150 worth of ebooks +
Cool Prs 505 at Best Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Where will he be in the USA? That would help us to try to find a shop locally that might have the 505. That said, he could order one online and have it sent to the hotel.
Bestbuy has the 505 silver. I have to say it looks NICE! Photos don't do it justice. It is really thin. I do hope they make a dock for this one. Was the dock available from release or did it come later? The silver one looks pretty slick, does the darkblue look better?
digicatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:57 PM   #5
paspas
Enthusiast
paspas began at the beginning.

Device: prs505
wrong post.
paspas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2007, 03:22 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It's not showing the 505 yet, but Sony has a dealer locater here: http://direct.where2getit.com/sony/
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:51 PM   #7
fishcube
Connoisseur
fishcube began at the beginning.

Device: Archos 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
According to their current AD Best Buy has them.
Not all Best Buys have them. Just checked ours and they have no Readers in any of my state's stores.

I noticed they only have the silver online, why don't they offer the blue also?
fishcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:18 PM   #8
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Best Buy had them in their weekly sales ad in the Sunday paper yesterday. This was in Columbia, SC.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:07 PM   #9
fishcube
Connoisseur
fishcube began at the beginning.

Device: Archos 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Best Buy had them in their weekly sales ad in the Sunday paper yesterday. This was in Columbia, SC.
They had the reader in our Ads too, but none in the store or any stores in the state. Best to check inventory online first.
fishcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:02 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Just remember that while most times the online inventory is right, sometimes it's not. I've had it tell me items were not in stock & called the store only to find out they were.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:48 AM   #11
digicatz
digicatz began at the beginning.

Device: considering the Sony model for the $299, with $150 worth of ebooks +
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Just remember that while most times the online inventory is right, sometimes it's not. I've had it tell me items were not in stock & called the store only to find out they were.
The store I checked was the Best Buy in Everate Ma. They had just got them in.
I have not checked the other stores. They have the 505 on display. This store had had the 500, I think they sold out of that at a reduced price, before putting up the 505. The accompanying signage still referred to the 500.
digicatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:07 AM   #12
afiggatt
afiggatt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
The 505 model is now on display at both my local Best Buy and Border stores in Sterling, VA. They had the new holding bracket and ad displays for the 505. Both stores had them in stock, but they also both only appear to carry the silver color model. I wish I knew why they are doing that. I have seen both models at the Sony Style store and much rather get the blue color one. I may have to order it on-line or head to the Sony Style store.

Are any other national US chains besides BB and Borders carrying the 505 Sony Reader yet?
afiggatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:52 PM   #13
Trina Oliver
Trina Oliver began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ereader 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by digicatz View Post
Bestbuy has the 505 silver. I have to say it looks NICE! Photos don't do it justice. It is really thin. I do hope they make a dock for this one. Was the dock available from release or did it come later? The silver one looks pretty slick, does the darkblue look better?

The dark blue version definitely does look better, for the following reasons:

a. The dark background contrasts with the screen, thus creating the visual illusion that the screen is brighter and crispier. The silver background somehow renders the screen darker, thus leading you to wonder if all the other units were like yours or if you just had the bad luck to get hold of that just one defective unit. Ugly thought, isn't it? Next thing you know, you want to investigate and find other owners just so you could make the comparison.

b. You notice the black margin sorrounding the text? Not all screens are perfectly centered. In fact, most are just a teeny bit askew, leaning just a little bit to the left or to the right. Not much of a defect, but if you're the OCD type just like me, it can be bothersome. Now, the screen of my dark blue unit is a teeny bit askew, but it is not noticeable because the black color of the margin is so close to the dark blue color of the frame. I would imagine that with the silver unit, the black margin could stand out against the silver edging; thus, you would notice if the screen leans a little bit to the left or to the right.

b. The darker background creates some kind of psychological window to another world towards which all mental and psychic focus & energy is concentrated--so much like a painting with a darker frame, I should say--or a stage with sorrounding dark curtains. The lighter background sort of scatters and diffuses the attention and focus.

c. Who ever saw a silver book?

--trina oliver
Trina Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote