Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-27-2011, 12:36 AM   #1
domromer
Enthusiast
domromer began at the beginning.

Device: Something that works well with libraries.
error shows up next to device on reader software

A few weeks ago I deleted and reinstalled the sony reader software because I was having the issue where the software would launch bought there was no GUI. Normally I use calibre but I'm on a road trip and need the reader software to open up the acsm files from my library. I fired up reader and it shows up fine now but there written next to my device it says error and I cannot transfer any books onto my device. So I formatted the internal memory and reset all settings, that didn't fix it. I tried to use adobe digital editions but my device won't even show up. Any ideas?
domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:44 AM   #2
saigafreak
saigafreak has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.saigafreak has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.saigafreak has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.saigafreak has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.saigafreak has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-350
Same here. Using Mac and Snow Leopard.
saigafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
saigafreak
saigafreak has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.saigafreak has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.saigafreak has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.saigafreak has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.saigafreak has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-350
Called Sony tech support. He confirms that 64-bit snow leopard is not compatible with the reader software. They are getting complaints and requests for an update to the software since Snow Leopard is becoming more prevalent among the Mac population. For now, starting the OS in 32-bit mode (2 and 3 together on bootup?) is a workaround, or going to a 32-bit computer to perform the sync.

Sorry the news couldn't be better, but it sure saves some time don't it?

ETA: yes, this fixes the problem. If you can afford to restart your Mac in 32-bit mode, go ahead and do that then sync your device with the new books. Many times the 64-bit mode isn't really all that noticeable. In any event, you can always restart in 64-bit mode once you're done syncing. Hopefully they'll find a fix for this in a future version.

Last edited by saigafreak; 04-27-2011 at 12:14 PM.
saigafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
domromer
Enthusiast
domromer began at the beginning.

Device: Something that works well with libraries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saigafreak View Post
Called Sony tech support. He confirms that 64-bit snow leopard is not compatible with the reader software. They are getting complaints and requests for an update to the software since Snow Leopard is becoming more prevalent among the Mac population. For now, starting the OS in 32-bit mode (2 and 3 together on bootup?) is a workaround, or going to a 32-bit computer to perform the sync.

Sorry the news couldn't be better, but it sure saves some time don't it?

ETA: yes, this fixes the problem. If you can afford to restart your Mac in 32-bit mode, go ahead and do that then sync your device with the new books. Many times the 64-bit mode isn't really all that noticeable. In any event, you can always restart in 64-bit mode once you're done syncing. Hopefully they'll find a fix for this in a future version.
Thank you I'll try this out. It's strange that it worked fine before. I've been using snow leopard since it first came out and this just became an issue now.
domromer is offline   Reply With Quote