Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-05-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
pops1959
pops1959 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Odd problem when converting PDF to EPUB

I've been working on trying to convert a book for my own personal use to epub format so I can view it on my Nook Color. So far that book has been scanned, and saved in PDF format. Using Adobe Acrobat 7 I can view the book and it looks perfect. So I'm ok to that point. Now, when I convert it to epub using Calibre the photographs in the book come out as negatives. In Adobe the photos look as they should but when converted via Calibre they look like photographic negatives. I confess that with a few of the photos the effect is rather interesting, but....
Any clues or ideas appreciated.
pops1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pops1959 View Post
Now, when I convert it to epub using Calibre the photographs in the book come out as negatives. In Adobe the photos look as they should but when converted via Calibre they look like photographic negatives. I confess that with a few of the photos the effect is rather interesting, but....
You've run into one of the many little bugs in the PDF conversion engine. I don't know of any way around this bug.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
How about using some other software to convert to HTML first then import HTML into calibre
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
How about using some other software to convert to HTML first then import HTML into calibre
Good advice, I usually export as html from Adobe Acrobat. Then take that html and add it to calibre.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:22 AM   #5
tscamera
Enthusiast
tscamera began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650 ... ipad
Wink pdf PDF pDf PdF.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pops1959 View Post
I've been working on trying to convert a book for my own personal use to epub format so I can view it on my Nook Color. So far that book has been scanned, and saved in PDF format. Using Adobe Acrobat 7 I can view the book and it looks perfect. So I'm ok to that point. Now, when I convert it to epub using Calibre the photographs in the book come out as negatives. In Adobe the photos look as they should but when converted via Calibre they look like photographic negatives. I confess that with a few of the photos the effect is rather interesting, but....
PDF everywhere...
why not using the good old WORD.
it's a word processor and it processes.

scan your document to word, or if you have a pdf already, convert via ABBYY or other transformers of your choice.
clean it up, modify it etcpp, with the powerful WORD, see what you get.
save it as .html (cause of your pics) or you're reading your book... and if you like simpler code, as .rtf

import to calibre...... and forget the tweenyweeny bugs in the calibre pdf conversion. (for now, calibre is still in <1 (.7.xx))
tscamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 04:57 AM   #6
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
If there aren't too many images, you can use the "Tweak Epub" option to explode the epub, open each image in your favorite image editor (if you don't have one, Paint.NET works well on Windows), re-invert the image to get it back to normal, save, and then pack the epub back up. I've had to do that several times with PDF to Epub conversions. It's tedious, but if everything else is good and the number of images you have to edit is small then it's the simplest fix.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:35 AM   #7
tscamera
Enthusiast

Thumbs up ... the simplest fix...

or so!

i like the WORD-way, cause it's easy to clean-up ocr-errors, unwanted line-breaks, chapters... any formatting concerns.
you can use the .rtf way too.
explode the (via .rtf converted) epub and replace the (placeholder) images.

happy converting.

tweaktweaktweak
Old 01-06-2011, 06:37 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscamera View Post
i like the WORD-way, cause it's easy to clean-up ocr-errors, unwanted line-breaks, chapters... any formatting concerns.
Make sure you save it as html filtered.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
If there aren't too many images, you can use the "Tweak Epub" option to explode the epub, open each image in your favorite image editor (if you don't have one, Paint.NET works well on Windows), re-invert the image to get it back to normal, save, and then pack the epub back up. I've had to do that several times with PDF to Epub conversions. It's tedious, but if everything else is good and the number of images you have to edit is small then it's the simplest fix.
you can use the .rtf way too.
explode the (via .rtf converted) epub and replace the (placeholder) images.
I understand what toddos is saying, what is the heck is the rtf way?
Old 01-06-2011, 07:17 AM   #9
tscamera
Enthusiast

Arrow heck of the rtf way...

it is, if you exploring errors during reading your book on your e-book reader..
the easiest way to fixe them on your pc.
after importing, a .rtf is stored in the calibre library, so just open it in Word to fix it, save it, convert it. everything is in the same folder.
the .rtf conversion is quicker, the html-code is simple.
... in case you want to change something using SIGIL.
everytime, during proof-reading on my devices, i found little mistakes to be corrected.
if it's just the picture-inverting concern, use the exploding or word-to-html way.

good luck and every clues.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:19 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
explode the (via .rtf converted) epub
Quote:
if it's just the picture-inverting concern, use the exploding or word-to-html way.
Now I know what you are talking about. The reason for my confusion is because "exploding the epub" the way toddos used it means something very specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
use the "Tweak Epub" option to explode the epub
It is the process of unzipping the ePub file and exposing the files that are internal to the epub.

You can do this by right clicking on any ePub book in calibre's library view and selecting tweak epub (see attached). Once you select tweak ePub you get the chance to "Explode ePub" (see attached). Then you end up with a folder with the contents of the ePub (see attached).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tweak_epub.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	64211   Click image for larger version

Name:	tweak_epub_explode.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	64212   Click image for larger version

Name:	tweak_epub_explode_folder.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	64213  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-06-2011 at 08:22 AM.