Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-30-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
PeteWilliams
PeteWilliams began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Buying Amazon.com books on a UK Kindle?

My Kindle arrived today, so I'm just looking into buying some books for it.

I'm based in the UK and bought the Kindle from Amazon.co.uk, but am wondering if I can buy books from the US Amazon store? I've got a load of US Amazon.com vouchers from their referral scheme and was thinking this would be a great way of using them up but is it possible?

Googling suggests there are (or where) ways round it, but are all a couple years old and refer to previous kindle models. So can you still use Amazon.com rather than Amazon.co.uk, and if so, how?

Thanks
PeteWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Device: kindle Oasis
Yes, if you go to the Manage your kindle page on .co.uk you have the option to transfer, not as beneficial as you would think though as the .com site recognises you are from the UK and will only let you but books that are avail for, and that you can buy from, the .co.uk site.

You may have to set up an account at .com before you get the option...
grizedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
It should work. You can still list a UK address at Amazon.com and your availability will be books that are available in the UK, but the prices will be in US dollars and you can use the Amazon.com gift cards to pay.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:08 AM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
your availability will be books that are available in the UK,
Quote:
.com site recognises you are from the UK and will only let you but books that are avail for, and that you can buy from, the .co.uk site.
Both those quotes are incorrect.

I am in the UK and I have a US address on my UK Amazon account, switching to that address in 'manage your kindle' migrates my kindle to the US store, and allows me to purchase books using my UK credit card. The entire US store is available, including books not available in the UK Store. All the books I have bought are not available in the UK, thats why I do it.

When I transfer back to my UK address my US purchases simply migrate to the UK.

Pre orders don't though. To get pre orders on the release date you need to change back to the US store and go through the migration process again.

I haven't had any problems and my books downloaded via wifi.

I did get a message on my Kindle about roaming charges so I guess 3G downloads to another country, ie not the US, would incur a fee.

I have done this 3 times now and am currently linked to the US Store as Barabara Erskines Lady of Hay is released in the US today and that is a pre order of mine. Its not in, or even coming soon, in the UK.

Last edited by Josieb1; 10-01-2010 at 03:11 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:03 AM   #5
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Hey Josie, glad to see you are on a roll now with amazon.com!
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 04:16 AM   #6
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Both those quotes are incorrect.

So, how is it that I attempt to purchase Brandon Sanderson 'The Way of Kings' kindle version whilst logged into .com from the uk and it tells me

This title is not available for customers from:
United Kingdom
Shop titles available for United Kingdom

...?
Old 10-01-2010, 04:26 AM   #7
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So, how is it that I attempt to purchase Brandon Sanderson 'The Way of Kings' kindle version whilst logged into .com from the uk and it tells me

This title is not available for customers from:
United Kingdom
Shop titles available for United Kingdom
Do you have a valid US address in your account profile? If so have you changed the addresses in 'Manage Your Kindle' to this address?
Old 10-01-2010, 04:29 AM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hey Josie, glad to see you are on a roll now with amazon.com!
Thanks Pushka, yes its working fine now, so far I have been able to get over 20 books, all replacements for paperbacks I already have

Last edited by Josieb1; 10-01-2010 at 04:32 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:33 AM   #9
grizedale
kindle Convert

Quote:
Do you have a valid US address in your account profile? If so have you changed the addresses in 'Manage Your Kindle' to this address?
As far as I am aware, the issue of having a US address was not part of the criteria of the OP, I was just answering the question from the OP's perspective...

So my initial response was not incorrect...
Old 10-01-2010, 04:35 AM   #10
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
SO how should a UK resident go about "faking" a valid USA address in order to outwit amazon.com ???
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:46 AM   #11
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
SO how should a UK resident go about "faking" a valid USA address in order to outwit amazon.com ???
I haven't done that, I am using a freinds address that I stay at when I travel to the US, its a valid US address, with zip code.

That way if I accidently order a paperback at least it will turn up!
Old 10-01-2010, 05:45 AM   #12
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Wink

Quote:
I haven't done that, I am using a freinds address that I stay at when I travel to the US, its a valid US address, with zip code.

That way if I accidently order a paperback at least it will turn up!
Hmm, the rest of us will just have to lie , I guess.

what's the zip code for Pres. Obama c/o. the whitehouse ;-)
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:32 AM   #13
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
White pages is your friend. Surely there is a John Smith living in the USA?
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:49 AM   #14
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I think the difference is Josie is that you are putting in a US address on the Amazon.com website as your Kindle address. When you do that, you are a US Kindle user operating from the UK.

It is also possible to establish an account at Amazon.com using a UK address. When you do that, you will receive United Kingdom availability and prices. There is sometimes an advantage to doing that also as Agency pricing isn't in effect for the UK and UK pricing is often lower than US pricing.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:57 AM   #15
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I think the difference is Josie is that you are putting in a US address on the Amazon.com website as your Kindle address. When you do that, you are a US Kindle user operating from the UK.
I only have one Amazon account, it which was set up on Amazon.co.uk, I have two addresses linked to that account, one UK and one US, and I log in with a UK email address

When I log into either Amazon sites its using my UK Amazon email address. I have no idea how its all working 'officially', all I know is its working for me.

When I want to buy from the US store I always change my address on the UK 'Manage Your Kindle page', then I select the link which takes me to the US store. Coming back to the UK I add my UK address on the US 'Manage Your Kindle' page, then I select the link which takes me to the US store.

What this makes me a resident off I have no idea

Last edited by Josieb1; 10-01-2010 at 07:05 AM.