Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-22-2017, 05:33 PM   #31
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete330 View Post
Yeah, whatever. Or maybe you didn't understand the use-case for the tool, yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Received by my Linux machine using a whole lot of things.

Well, I see you are still touting the advertisements for the apps on your 'phone.
So nobody is going to take anything you happen to recommend very seriously.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:44 PM   #32
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post

Well, I see you are still touting the advertisements for the apps on your 'phone.
Can I have some BASIC? Just teasing you but it is the only computer language I am even vaguely familiar with.
I think what you are doing is great.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:22 PM   #33
pete330
Connoisseur
pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post

No one has to, but I still think Vagrant is a great tool to run vbox images headless. Sure, it does nothing one couldn't configure manually, it still is a great way to get some coding work done instead of wasting time configuring vbox on the command line (without any advantages). And since I have a life and job, being efficient is important.

Regarding that freaking app signature, you are right, I should have deleted it.
pete330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:04 AM   #34
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
This is just a difference of opinion between two generations!

The one - where various things were done by hand and the other - where the same things are automated to a large extent.

In the real world today, maybe the latter approach is considered cost effective.

But, in this forum, where we are fiddling with an e-book reader, to make it boldly go where no e-book reader has gone before, maybe it's not that important.

Each to his own!
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:07 AM   #35
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
@pete330, why not sharing a tutorial on how setup your development environment and let us compare it with the alternatives?
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:49 AM   #36
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
Some newbie/amateur questions!

In porting Linux applications (either CLI or Graphical) to the Kindle, I believe a host OS plus an emulated OS are both used. The emulated OS being a Debian-Armel since it closely approximates the Kindle OS.
In my recent beginner set ups, I have done the building directly on the emulated OS, since I haven't got into cross-compiling yet (Couldn't understand the "tool chain" part!). It takes quite a long time on the emulated OS, however. A 5 minute build on Ubuntu, took over 4 hours on the emulated OS.
I assume this is one of the reasons for using a cross-compiling set up on the host machine - since it is faster and the final build can then be moved to the emulated OS and tested.

How does this set up work for a graphical application port?
The emulated Debian-Armel OSes I have used so far are only command line versions. Obviously, they wouldn't work for testing a graphical application port, though maybe building would.
Even if an emulated OS with graphical mode is set up, how would it work for testing a graphical application intended for running on Kindles? Since the screen resolution would be different?

Request knc1 and other experts to throw some light!
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:14 AM   #37
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Any environment that supports GTK+ 2.0 will do for GTK+ graphical applications.
That includes your favorite desktop system, just have the maximum screen size limited (somehow) - I think just by sizing the window it is running in.
(GTK is an interpretive language and pre-installed on the touchscreen Kindles.)

There are other choices than GTK+ 2.0 with varying degrees of support pre-installed, I will have to look up some links for you.

= = = = =

You haven't even touched the surface of building Kindle applications -
twobob compiled webkit-GTK+ on a KindleTouch (the source of which is next to impossible to cross-compile) - that only took 4 days and he had most of the framework stopped and a swap file enabled.

I think that work is posted in one of his threads where he was building opensource browsers for the Kindles.

Not to laugh - a Kindle Touch emulating an IBM-360 is about as fast as an early entry level model.
We (twobob and I) released the Hercules emulator built for the Kindle Touch.
I am pretty sure that project never got tested on the newer devices based on the i.MX6.

Note:
OS-360, 360-VMS and a few others are public domain.
With the glaring exception of the macro assembler - which sort of puts a speed bump into developing 360/370/390/z-system code on your Kindle Touch.

Last edited by knc1; 08-02-2017 at 08:20 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote