Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-12-2014, 05:49 PM   #1
elziko
elziko began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Question Cannot switch light on

Until recently my Kobo Aura was working fine but now I can no longer turn the backlight on.

In the main menu it states "Light: Off" but this is greyed out such that nothing happens when I press it.

I thought it may have been because my battery was low at around 20% so I charged it up to 40% with no luck.

Resetting was also no help.

Has anyone seen this or can anyone suggest what I can do to fix this? I assume if I do a factory reset I'll losse all the books I have side-loaded?

Thanks!
elziko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:18 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
You have to use the button to turn the light on. The menu item is disabled when the light is off. When it is on, it wlll show the brightness level and pressing it displays the brightness control.

If the light is not coming on when you press the button, does the light icon display at the top of the screen? If so, it means you are seeing a bug in the current firmware. If the light level is set to 1%, the light doesn't come on until you adjust the light level. If it is set it to 2% or higher, it will come on with no problems.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:15 PM   #3
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Just to underscore what David said, on the top of the Aura there's a physical button you have to depress to turn the light on if it's not on already. If you have a black Aura, it's perhaps hard to see the button; it's to the left of the RED power slider, but unlike the power slider, you press it rather than slide it.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:54 AM   #4
elziko
elziko began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
I had completely forgotten that this device had a hardware button for the light; how silly... Thanks!
elziko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:45 AM   #5
peterwardgd
Addict
peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura
wow just wow.
peterwardgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:54 AM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elziko View Post
I had completely forgotten that this device had a hardware button for the light; how silly... Thanks!
We've all had brain burps. Just glad that your problem is solved.

Special thanks to our helpful members, davidfor and RobertJSawyer (who is also one of my favorite authors).
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:03 AM   #7
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Well, considering most of the interface(well, all except that one hardware function and sleep mode) is entirely touch screen based I'm a little surprised no one has raised the issue sooner... If you "never" use the light forgetting the button could be pretty easy.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:19 AM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
It's also not a very obtrusive button - easy to miss. Enjoy your reading, elziko!
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:48 AM   #9
MizSuz
Connoisseur
MizSuz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura, Android w/CoolReader
Well, I had somehow managed to hit this button without realizing it and then had to search the net to figure out how to turn the back light back on. This brain fade inspired post may be three years old, but it's still helping people. Without it I'd probably still be in the dark.
MizSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:09 AM   #10
El Duderino
#hilakleiner
El Duderino began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura (2013)
+1 this thread.

Like MizSuz, had somehow hit the light button and was perplexed how to get it back on until finding the answer here. Have owned the Kobo Aura for a year, but yeah, easy mistake. Signed up to say thanks for the answer peeps!

In case it helps anyone find the answer to this problem faster, I'll fully spell it out for Googlebot ... This thread is a how to fix Kobo Aura light icon disappearing, not working or turning on. In this particular circumstance it's not a firmware issue.
El Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:18 PM   #11
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2

Another brain fade here. After several years of trouble free use, I forgot all about the light button.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backlight, light