Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-28-2017, 12:56 PM   #1
costanzofab
costanzofab began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Some questions about Kobo Aura One

Hi everyone,
last week I bought a Tolino, and after a few days I gave it back because there were a lot of problems. My very first ereader was a Kindle paperwhite that I loved, but unfortunately it broke. Now I need an ereader, but the problem is that the Kindle PW is too old (2015) and it hasn't got the yellow light, while I don't know much about the Kobo Aura One. Is it worth it? Is it too heavy or bulky? How's the screen? And do you think that there could be a new edition in few months? I want to keep my ereader for a long time, so it should be up to date. Do you think that I should wait for the Kindle?
Thank you
costanzofab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:27 PM   #2
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Why not get another Paperwhite? You loved it without the yellow light. And what does it's design date have to do with anything? It's as good an ereader as you can buy.

I'm not saying you'll like it better than a Kobo Aura One. I haven't seen the Kobo One and I have an original Kobo Aura that I like a lot. It just seems your reasons for rejecting another Paperwhite are pretty thin.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:41 PM   #3
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I have an Kobo Aura One and I really like it. I usually keep the natural lighting set pretty low--as that's my personal preference. The One has a feature to adjust lighting automatically depending on conditions, but I turned that off early on--it seemed pretty buggy. Might be better with the newer firmware versions, as I haven't updated my firmware in awhile.

I do really like the larger screen of the One. And the size is a little larger than my voyage, but still small enough that I carry it in the side pocket of my purse.

Lastly, the Aura One was released just a few months ago, so I don't see Kobo producing a newer model of it for a while. They've just released the Aura H2O second edition which has the comfort light and is a little smaller than the One, so that might be an option for you to consider if you are concerned about the size of the Aura One.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:24 PM   #4
costanzofab

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Why not get another Paperwhite? You loved it without the yellow light. And what does it's design date have to do with anything? It's as good an ereader as you can buy.

I'm not saying you'll like it better than a Kobo Aura One. I haven't seen the Kobo One and I have an original Kobo Aura that I like a lot. It just seems your reasons for rejecting another Paperwhite are pretty thin.

Barry
Because the last one was produced in 2015 and I have just one opportunity to buy an ereader, so it has to be new and modern. I'm a little bit concerned about the kobo's software, altough the bigger screen for me is a pro. On the other hand I don't want to "betray" Amazon because the last time that I did (Tolino), it was a complete failure. I don't know if I should give a chance to Amazon and wait for a new Kindle... In the meantime I could read paperbacks, I'm quite used to this too. But the complete personalization of kobo attracts me. And I think that, for copyright reasons, Amazon could never implement a "comfortlight" on a Kindle.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:29 PM   #5
costanzofab

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I have an Kobo Aura One and I really like it. I usually keep the natural lighting set pretty low--as that's my personal preference. The One has a feature to adjust lighting automatically depending on conditions, but I turned that off early on--it seemed pretty buggy. Might be better with the newer firmware versions, as I haven't updated my firmware in awhile.

I do really like the larger screen of the One. And the size is a little larger than my voyage, but still small enough that I carry it in the side pocket of my purse.

Lastly, the Aura One was released just a few months ago, so I don't see Kobo producing a newer model of it for a while. They've just released the Aura H2O second edition which has the comfort light and is a little smaller than the One, so that might be an option for you to consider if you are concerned about the size of the Aura One.
I heard that the new H2O has a worse screen than the One...and I would like the flush bezel. Finally, I think that I will buy the One, or eventually a Kindle, hoping that Amazon will release a new one. But I don't think I can wait a lot. Thank you for your feedback!
Old 05-29-2017, 05:04 PM   #6
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Just because it first came out in 2015 does not mean you will get a 2 year old paperwhite. It just means they are still manufacturing that model and have not made any changes to it.

I hope this helps.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:08 PM   #7
costanzofab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Just because it first came out in 2015 does not mean you will get a 2 year old paperwhite. It just means they are still manufacturing that model and have not made any changes to it.

I hope this helps.
You're right, but I think that sooner or later Amazon will update the line and it could be in few weeks, so I don't want to risk, that's all. It might sound strange but if I have to spend my money, I want to get an updated eReader, as I said before.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:28 PM   #8
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by costanzofab View Post
You're right, but I think that sooner or later Amazon will update the line and it could be in few weeks, so I don't want to risk, that's all. It might sound strange but if I have to spend my money, I want to get an updated eReader, as I said before.
I understand where you are coming from. It could be weeks, it could be years or it could be never.
They have updated the firmware several times since it first came out.

Oh little tip: if you want to jailbreak your kindle, you need to buy soon.
The latest firmwares are locked.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:16 PM   #9
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
For me the purpose of an ereader is to read. Personally I couldn't care less about the latest thing. I haven't changed my hairstyle since about 1955, except that I have a lot less of it now. I couldn't care less about wearing fashionable clothes. I don't care a whit about having the latest devices.

I want the best reading experience I can get. For quite a while I thought that was my Voyage but more and more I'm starting to think the Paperwhite is the better device for reading. The flush bezel makes me have to be a little more careful how I hold the Voyage and is slightly distracting.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:42 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The best reading experience (IMHO) is Kobo. I've seen the PW3 in person and when you compare the two side by side, the H2O has a better reading experience due to ADE handling the typesetting without the need for some special format. Plus, I the H2O comes with more fonts and the weight can be adjusted as needed.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:25 AM   #11
TuxGirl
Groupie
TuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the husk

Device: kindle
I upgraded recently from a 2nd gen paperwhite to a kobo aura one. I have been super happy with the aura one. For me, the deciding factor was the fact that I read a lot of tech books from packtpub, and the screen on the paperwhite just wasn't large enough for reading code snippets comfortably. I've been super happy with it, though. I did discover that if I turn the natural-lighting up too high I do get some odd color artifacts, but that hasn't really bugged me much because I usually keep the natural-light pretty low anyways.
TuxGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:47 PM   #12
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I own a refurbished Voyage (recently purchased on the nice sale) and the Kobo Aura One. Hands down the Kobo Aura One for me. There are things I like about the Kindle Voyage, it is very quick and responsive and MUCH better at highlighting, but the reading experience is far, far better with the Aura One, simply because of the screen size and new comfort light. I also adore the Overdrive library integration.

The nice range of font sizes is most helpful for my older eyes, I can get a lot of text on the Aura One screen as opposed to 2-3 sentences on the Kindle. It's much more immersive and I feel like I absorb what I'm reading far better with the Aura One than I do with the Kindle. For me, that outweighs every bell and whistle the Kindle might offer.

I'm 60 years old and the size and weight of the Aura One have not bothered me. I do sometimes use a stand for it. It goes with me everywhere, just as all past readers have done.

I honestly don't care whether my reader is the latest thing or not as long as I can read comfortably on it. There's always something newer around the corner in tech, but what is newer is not always better....

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:47 AM   #13
costanzofab

Last week I decided to buy the Aura One from amazon... unfortunately it had a green blotch from the bottom right, so I gave it back. They sent me another one which is slightly better... it has a smaller green spot, but it is visible only if I put the temperature at 100% and the light at 1 or 2%, and I would never use the ereader with this settings (too much orange for me), so I don't care. At least if I put the temperature at <90% the blotches disappear, regardless of the light intensity. On the previous one the green spot was visible even with the temperature at 50%. I'm happy overall.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:16 PM   #14
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The best reading experience (IMHO) is Kobo. I've seen the PW3 in person and when you compare the two side by side, the H2O has a better reading experience due to ADE handling the typesetting without the need for some special format. Plus, I the H2O comes with more fonts and the weight can be adjusted as needed.
Wow, this is the first time I've seen you say something is your opinion instead of objective, revealed truth haha.

I agree that back-to-back, the typesetting on the Kobo mostly looks better; especially if you are reading a book without hyphenation. But against that, I think Bookerly and Ember look better than the standard Kobo fonts (although I recognize that many Mobilereaders seem to like very dark, heavy font glyphs for some reason). And the widow/orphan control on Kobo is way too aggressive, leaving a large unsightly bottom margin on most pages.

To me, one of the best arguments for Kobo is the options for page turn touch zones.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 03:08 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
Wow, this is the first time I've seen you say something is your opinion instead of objective, revealed truth haha.

I agree that back-to-back, the typesetting on the Kobo mostly looks better; especially if you are reading a book without hyphenation. But against that, I think Bookerly and Ember look better than the standard Kobo fonts (although I recognize that many Mobilereaders seem to like very dark, heavy font glyphs for some reason). And the widow/orphan control on Kobo is way too aggressive, leaving a large unsightly bottom margin on most pages.

To me, one of the best arguments for Kobo is the options for page turn touch zones.
The Kobo can be patched to reduce the margin and change the font size of the footer.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote