Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #16
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I had both! still own the mini. The mini wins by far! I will tell you why.

Even though the Nexus is a nice device with nice screen resolution, the mini has a better or more suitable screen size for ebooks AND PDfs, at least IMO.

The Nexus is 7", so you get less reading area and that can be distracting when reading PDF documents. Using pure text ebooks is ok on the Nexus 7.

The other reason why I sold my Nexus was the lack of 4G. I wanted a dual purpose device and the Nexus can't be both. No wifi, no connectivity, period. That was a deal breaker for me and one of the main reason why I sold it.

In terms of glare, LCD devices are not recommended for reading outside. It may work for you, but the glare is so high that makes reading difficult; that's when an eink devices shines, i.e Kindle Paperwhite.

I would say, if you do not read PDFs, do not care about 4G, go for the Nexus.

The mini is more expensive but it feels sturdy, gives awesome battery life and can do much more.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #17
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
...and can do much more.
Really? "Much more"? As in what?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #18
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
The best solution is to have one of each. I have both a Sony PRS-T1 & a Nexus 7 as well as a Samsung Galaxy MP5 player. My Samsung goes with me everywhere since it is so light weight and can easily slip into my pocket. My Nexus 7 is my at home reader, and my not so often used Sony will be for when I want to take a walk outside and sit on a bench and read reader.

Prices continue to drop so if people so want they can have one of each. There is no right or wrong, either or solution. You get the right machine for each specific task.

I have all the flexibility that I need for whichever environment I'm in.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:02 PM   #19
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Just my two cents.........I have the kindles, 1, 3 (keyboard) and paper white.

Then got the Ipads......the Ipad2 and then the mini.

I do a LOT of reading, and have found that for me, by far, the mini is the best.

Lightweight, easy to hold one handed, easy to take along anywhere, full internet access, and as for eye strain, I keep it on the "sepia" option.......

Try one out at your Apple store.

Books are easy to transfer using dropbox, and even the 16 gb holds lots mor than you might expect.

Good luck with whichever you decide on!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:21 AM   #20
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Even though the Nexus is a nice device with nice screen resolution, the mini has a better or more suitable screen size for ebooks AND PDfs, at least IMO.
If reading PDFs is a main consideration I wouldn't go for either of these devices they are both too small.

Quote:
Using pure text ebooks is ok on the Nexus 7.
The Nexus is excellent for reading Novels.

Quote:
The other reason why I sold my Nexus was the lack of 4G.
Certainly something to consider. Personally I don't want another monthly bill.

Quote:
In terms of glare, LCD devices are not recommended for reading outside. It may work for you, but the glare is so high that makes reading difficult; that's when an eink devices shines,
Very true.

Quote:
I would say, if you do not read PDFs, do not care about 4G, go for the Nexus.
The 4g nod seems like reasonable advice. If PDFs are big for you buy a 10 inch tablet.

Quote:
The mini is more expensive but it feels sturdy, gives awesome battery life and can do much more.
The Nexus is less expensive but it feels sturdy, gives awesome battery life and can do much more.

Alright it can't do much more, but I bought my Nexus 7 due to the one thing it does that iPads cannot do and that is run the Calibre Companion App. I use calibre to organize my ebook library and you certainly can use either the Nexus or the iPad with calibre. But I knew that this App was being developed and made my choice accordingly because I had faith in the developers and expected this app to meet my needs. I have not been disappointed.

Everyone has there own unique requirements, like 4g, PDF reading or connecting to calibre as a device without plugging in a USB cable. If you are already vested in the Apple ecosystem buy an iPad mini. If not, consider buying the Nexus.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #21
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
@DoctorOhh

I had a 10 inches iPad 3 but that's too heavy for PDFs, at least for me. After a few min, you start to feel the weight. The iPad 2 was lighter, but still.

I found that the iPad mini in landscape, with GoodReader is a good compromise. Fast, fluid, with 4G, so I can follow links and URLs embedded in my IT books. With Nexus I wasn't able to, unless I was at home or with free wifi at range. And the weird screen ratio of the Nexus was really annoying to me, too narrow. Not saying the Nexus was a bad tablet, actually loved the resolution, but I like the mini better.

I don't real novels :-) ... usually ...

By the way, I've tried and spend hundreds if not thousand of dollars on several tablets, including Android ones, so I'm talking by experience. Of course, that may or may not be your opinion, but I certainly enjoy a light device on my hands giving the case that I read a lot, especially IT related books, which are perfect for iPad and PDF format.

Last edited by jocampo; 04-19-2013 at 06:27 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote