Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #16
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
You have to disable the notifications for the standard SMS app and you'll only get notifications for your 2nd SMS app. It's in the settings inside the app.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #17
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I will say -- Mantano is a very good ereader.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:17 PM   #18
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
very cool.

I bought a virgin mobile LG elite after reading many reviews and handling the phone in person.

My priorities were size and ability to ride unnoticed in a pocket plus good web connectivity and performance. I liked the iphone and its size - I had a ipod touch that I liked a lot. It is same size. Turn screens off, and appearance is very similar. I doubt that is a coincidence.

But I did not like the price of the iPhone. For what I use the phone for, the $130 price and the drop to $35 a month cannot be beat.

Coming from ios, I really like the sharing menu! It makes evernote so much more useful. I also use Pocket to save articles for later reading, but will move to Instapaper soon now that a android client is there. But some apps are not as good. No good client for simplenote. no good offline dictionaries compared to ios either. Nothing equal to tweetbot. I loved tweetbot.

I like being able to pin contacts to 'desktop? screentop?'. Spending time in Play market is fun. Reading apple bloggers will make you think there is no software for Android -- but that is not true! Lots of fun stuff. And qcodes are useful!

I like that I could change my dialer and my sms program. I also like that I could change the launcher. I don't use many widgets -- they kill battery. I can remove my battery.

I used a program called quadrant it confirmed that the sales specs were wrong: is a 1ghz phone, not 800. Is fast! No lag...but I only play card and word games. Productivity stuff not so demanding on cpu. GPS connects fast! Has NFC, but I dont really understand it much.

Now I am rethinking my intention to buy a iPad. But apple produces portrait and I like that, not widescreen.

What android websites you all read other than mobileread?
Wonderful! Excellent! Welcome to the future!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #19
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Another question: When I visit somewhere with free wi-fi (starbucks or mcdonalds), the splashscreen (click here to accept our terms and conditions) will only open in the original browser not the one i selected as the default. Any way to fix that?
Old 08-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #20
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
BTW it's not an "Army" it's a "Collective"
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #21
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
BTW it's not an "Army" it's a "Collective"

5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #22
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

the mascot is my least favorite part of the experience. my opinion only -- ugly design, ugly color, childish. Does not fit with sleek OS.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #23
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
the mascot is my least favorite part of the experience. my opinion only -- ugly design, ugly color, childish. Does not fit with sleek OS.
You obviously don't belong in this thread then.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:00 AM   #24
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
You obviously don't belong in this thread then.
hadn't even opened it. won't go back
Old 08-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #25
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Was interested in this: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-57501494-58/tablet-tuesday-get-a-10-inch-acer-iconia-a200-for-$149/ but sold out -fast-.

There will be more as black friday approaches.

I think my battery had to calibrate itself. Now very good. Crusader was right - widgets don't really kill battery.

Figured out free wifi problem mentioned above. Opera mini uses a proxy.

Will explore NFC when I get free time. So far very comfortable with this device. But still have not found a podcast client I like a lot.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:09 PM   #26
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Will explore NFC when I get free time. So far very comfortable with this device. But still have not found a podcast client I like a lot.
You can buy NFC tags at about $1 each. I use them to automate features, like turning off WiFi, changing volume when leaving home by a simple tap (and reverse that when coming back), or in the car to launch the navigation app and turn GPS on. If you get tasker from the market (sorry, play store), you can do pretty much anything you want with a simple tap.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:30 PM   #27
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
very cool.

I bought a virgin mobile LG elite after reading many reviews and handling the phone in person.

My priorities were size and ability to ride unnoticed in a pocket plus good web connectivity and performance. I liked the iphone and its size - I had a ipod touch that I liked a lot. It is same size. Turn screens off, and appearance is very similar. I doubt that is a coincidence.

But I did not like the price of the iPhone. For what I use the phone for, the $130 price and the drop to $35 a month cannot be beat.

Coming from ios, I really like the sharing menu! It makes evernote so much more useful. I also use Pocket to save articles for later reading, but will move to Instapaper soon now that a android client is there. But some apps are not as good. No good client for simplenote. no good offline dictionaries compared to ios either. Nothing equal to tweetbot. I loved tweetbot.

I like being able to pin contacts to 'desktop? screentop?'. Spending time in Play market is fun. Reading apple bloggers will make you think there is no software for Android -- but that is not true! Lots of fun stuff. And qcodes are useful!

I like that I could change my dialer and my sms program. I also like that I could change the launcher. I don't use many widgets -- they kill battery. I can remove my battery.

I used a program called quadrant it confirmed that the sales specs were wrong: is a 1ghz phone, not 800. Is fast! No lag...but I only play card and word games. Productivity stuff not so demanding on cpu. GPS connects fast! Has NFC, but I dont really understand it much.

Now I am rethinking my intention to buy a iPad. But apple produces portrait and I like that, not widescreen.

What android websites you all read other than mobileread?
Congratulations! I've been a longtime customer of VirginMobile and really like the LG handsets that they make available. (My current phone however is now an 32GB iPhone 4 $310 brand new, running Straight Talk prepaid $45/month unlimited everything)

One of the noticeable differences between iOS and Android is battery life. With the Android sets that I've used, I could eek out about a full day of use on a single charge. Having a swappable battery was a lifesaver for those times when I forgot to attach it to the charger before going to bed.

I used a free app called "Quick Settings" to quickly and easily enable/disable 3G. By turning it on only when I needed to, I was able to get 2-3 days of use before having to charge it.

I suggest investigating similar tools (there may exist one that can be programmed to turn 3G on and off at specific times of the day).

You may also discover that the maturity/polish of some apps on Android leave something to be desired. I'm still looking, without any success, for what is essentially the Android version of WriteRoom for iOS. There are a handful of apps that come close, but none match it... so the search continues.

But searching and discovering is part of the benefits of going Android. You will find that you can really customize and configure your phone to be a better personalized fit than the I-will-tell-you-what-you-like approach that Apple takes with iOS.

again, congratulations and enjoy!
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:38 PM   #28
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Congratulations! I've been a longtime customer of VirginMobile and really like the LG handsets that they make available. (My current phone however is now an 32GB iPhone 4 $310 brand new, running Straight Talk prepaid $45/month unlimited everything)

One of the noticeable differences between iOS and Android is battery life. With the Android sets that I've used, I could eek out about a full day of use on a single charge. Having a swappable battery was a lifesaver for those times when I forgot to attach it to the charger before going to bed.

I used a free app called "Quick Settings" to quickly and easily enable/disable 3G. By turning it on only when I needed to, I was able to get 2-3 days of use before having to charge it.

I suggest investigating similar tools (there may exist one that can be programmed to turn 3G on and off at specific times of the day).

You may also discover that the maturity/polish of some apps on Android leave something to be desired. I'm still looking, without any success, for what is essentially the Android version of WriteRoom for iOS. There are a handful of apps that come close, but none match it... so the search continues.

But searching and discovering is part of the benefits of going Android. You will find that you can really customize and configure your phone to be a better personalized fit than the I-will-tell-you-what-you-like approach that Apple takes with iOS.

again, congratulations and enjoy!
Thanks!

I looked at your app, but it says: "This app is incompatible with your Virgin Mobile LGE LG-VM696."

I have another widget that lets me turn mobile data on and off quickly and easily. I keep it off except for syncing email and looking up stuff on the web and installing apps and using gps. I have another that turns off wi-fi automatically after no connection for 3 minutes. I like that.

There is a program called llama for turning on and off ringer at certain times. It could also do the data radios. But just using it for ringer right now.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #29
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
Quote:
very cool.
I'm a little late to the party but might I suggest a Le Pan tablet. It's got a 4:3 ratio. The Le Pan II runs ICS, the Le Pan III isn't out yet. I'm pretty satisfied with mine. Go over to www.lepanlife.com for a user forum. I think some of the 8" tablets are 4:3 also.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #30
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Thank you.

Someone posted Epistle earlier today. Looks like it may fit my note needs. Also trying slacker.