Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
w1ksz
Connoisseur
w1ksz began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket EdGe
SIM Card Slot ?

I notice that the PE has a SIM Card Slot and the manual says ..."future use"... .
Has anyone tried to do anything with this slot ? I would plunk in my phone
SIM Card, but I hesitate for fear of what it would do !!

Thanks,

rs
w1ksz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Yea, you can use it as a storage for your SIM card while traveling overseas.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
cajunseo
Zealot
cajunseo began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
where is the sim card slot? are you looking at the micro sd slot on the bottom?

Last edited by cajunseo; 09-28-2011 at 01:27 PM. Reason: to add more
cajunseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
ptsenter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunseo View Post
where is the sim card slot? are you looking at the micro sd slot on the bottom?
Next to it.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:08 PM   #5
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&highlight=sim
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
jamina1
Connoisseur
jamina1 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket eDGe
So is the sim slot hooked up to anything inside or is it just there for good looks?
jamina1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamina1 View Post
So is the sim slot hooked up to anything inside or is it just there for good looks?
I know there is a SIM slot in the full-size eDGe. I never tried to pry the cover on the Pocket eDGe to see if it's there but, I'll take ptsenter's word for it. Here's what Entourage had to say about the SIM slot.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:33 PM   #8
ptsenter
Addict

Quote:
There is no SIM slot per se, just empty space.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:59 PM   #9
jamina1
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
I know there is a SIM slot in the full-size eDGe. I never tried to pry the cover on the Pocket eDGe to see if it's there but, I'll take ptsenter's word for it. Here's what Entourage had to say about the SIM slot.
I pulled mine out (just pull from the microsd slot and it comes out) and yes, there IS a sim slot there. Ha.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:05 PM   #10
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
As far as I've been able to see from photos there are the necessary solder pads for a sim holder and the necessary components but that is all. I don't know if any of those pads are live - have positive voltage on them - but they may be, so putting anything in the slot that is conductive is taking a risk of a short circuit.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:24 AM   #11
JTY
JTY began at the beginning.

Device: Entourge Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
As far as I've been able to see from photos there are the necessary solder pads for a sim holder and the necessary components but that is all. I don't know if any of those pads are live - have positive voltage on them - but they may be, so putting anything in the slot that is conductive is taking a risk of a short circuit.

Everything is live there, just solder sim holder and qualcomm 3g module on the top of the motherboard where there is a empty space for it.
Even the drivers for the 3G are in the firmware also apps.
JTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:28 AM   #12
jamina1
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTY View Post
Everything is live there, just solder sim holder and qualcomm 3g module on the top of the motherboard where there is a empty space for it.
Sort of makes me wish I knew how to solder...
Old 09-30-2011, 10:03 AM   #13
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Sort of makes me wish I knew how to solder...
Makes for an interesting project!
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #14
ptsenter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTY View Post
That would mean 3G USB modem should work, and they did in Dingo, but reportedly (see the archive) not in Ermine. I can't test myself as I don't have the modem.