Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals, Freebies, and Resources (No Self-Promotion)

Notices

Old 11-14-2017, 08:42 AM   #16486
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE, Nook Glowlight 3, Kindle Oasis 2, Onyx T68 Lynx
I've never had a price match rejected, but I only do it when the difference is small, just in case.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2017, 12:06 PM   #16487
Catlady
Wizard
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip, jetBook Lite
Kobo is way too much hassle. I only want to use up my remaining credit from the e-book settlements; I'm waiting for one working promo code and them I'm out.
Catlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:03 PM   #16488
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD
I have a Kobo ereader and no Kindle, and I prefer to have a viable alternative to Amazon, so I'll keep using Kobo, even though it's more work to get books on sale when either Amazon or the publisher only puts it on sale at Amazon. I've also accumulated enough super points to get several free books at Kobo, which is nice.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:39 PM   #16489
ottdmk
Guru
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Blackberry Playbook, Lenovo Tab 2 A10-70
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm in ranty mode, having just come from the Audiobooks thread; I thought I'd carry over here.

I get it. Large, multi-use coupons and contests that occasioned gross entry abuse to get the big discounts were not tenable long-term. I was only surprised the party lasted as long as it did.

But would it kill Kobo to have the occasional large-ish (and I don't mean 90%) discount that actually worked on any non-agency book? Not only do I not bother trying the supposedly unique coupon codes they send me since I know they won't work, I also can't be bothered to check out the garden-variety promotional codes since the list of books never has anything of interest to me.
I don't think their business model allows for it.

There've been a lot of discussions around here about the sales and discounts at Kobo, and occasionally somebody with useful insider information chimes in. Namely BearMountainBooks.

It seems that when Kobo offers one of these sales/promotions, they send out notices to all the publishers asking them to participate. If a publisher doesn't want to participate, the coupon code doesn't work on their books. Simple.

But it means that there's no such thing as a store-wide non-agency coupon at Kobo. (At least in North America.)

Now, why this is is hard to say. It could be that Kobo doesn't want to eat all the discount themselves (which they would probably have to do without publisher participation.) Perhaps their systems can't do the proper accounting for it. I don't know, I'm simply speculating.

I do know that they do store-wide coupons in other jurisdictions. Taiwan springs to mind. What it is about their contracts with publishers for that jurisdiction that allows them to do it I don't know, and I don't know the economics of that market that encourages them to do that type of promotion.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:58 AM   #16490
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
I haven't price-matched that much, maybe 30-40 times, and have had a problem only once. And within a few hours after sending them the screenshot, I had that price match too. So I'm pretty happy with the price match.

With that said, I ALWAYS take a screenshot of the competitor's price, I just do it as a matter of routine, before even buying the book. But taking the screenshot is so easy that I don't think it's that much hassle. I put the screenshots in a Kobo price match folder on my desktop, and delete them out once I get the refund, so the screenshot would serve as a reminder if I don't get it.

And even filling out the Kobo form doesn't seem bad to me - by the time I have filled out the basic info (name, email, competitor's URL), the email for the purchase is in my Inbox, I cut-and-paste the receipt number, and am good to go.

Unlike some others here, I don't do this for small differences (not worth even the minor hassle), but do do it for big price differences, which is why I always document with screenshot. Also, I'm indifferent between Kindle and Kobo, but hate BN, so I only do it for BN price differences...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
I've price matched with Kobo about 100 times in the last year or so, and I've only had Kobo deny the price match 3 times for sure, twice within a week back in September, and yesterday. The first two times, I was able to screen print Open Road Media ads showing a price and an end date. I started taking screen prints again recently, but I made sure I took the screen print when it was nearly a $19 difference and over a weekend. Lately, Kobo has been quick to respond to price matches, usually within a business day, but late last year before Christmas, they were really slow, well over a week to respond, and also back in September. Still, I think that if you're price matching at Kobo, it's probably better to be safe rather than sorry, and take a screen print at the competitor's website.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:51 PM   #16491
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD
Don't get me wrong, I like the Kobo price matches too. For most of the last year, I wasn't bothering to get screenshots of the competitor's webpage because Kobo price matching was pretty reliable, but now I've realized that it's worth it to take another 5 seconds and get a screenshot too.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:49 AM   #16492
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo H2O, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
There've been a lot of discussions around here about the sales and discounts at Kobo, and occasionally somebody with useful insider information chimes in. Namely BearMountainBooks.

It seems that when Kobo offers one of these sales/promotions, they send out notices to all the publishers asking them to participate. If a publisher doesn't want to participate, the coupon code doesn't work on their books. Simple.
Not so simple, I fear.

As some of you may know, I run a small "ebook services" operation - editing, formatting, proofreading, and sometimes a little cover design. Generally, I return three finished files: an EPUB to be uploaded to Amazon, a DOC file for the Smashwords Meatgrinder (to generate the oddball formats), and an optimized EPUB to replace what the Meatgrinder produces.

Here's the thing: Smashwords distributes to Kobo, and I've never known a Smashwords author to be given the option to participate in a Kobo promotion. I don't know if that means Smashwords negotiates on their behalf, or there's an automatic agreement in place, or what - I just know that no Smashwords author of my acquaintance has been asked whether they want to be part of a promotion for any of the stores Smashwords distributes to. Not Kobo, not Apple... nowhere. By contrast, Smashwords has its own store and offers very granular participation in its sitewide promotions there - not just at the author level, but down to the individual book and participation level, which can be changed at any point during the sale.

That's a pretty big heap of non-agency content that Kobo could, if they wanted to invest the effort, potentially include in its promotions. I'm sure they wouldn't hit that same level of granularity, but I also wouldn't think it would be that hard to give each author a "participate in promotions" option on their Smashwords dashboard that would give Kobo et al. permission to apply coupons to their books.

It'd be an initial challenge to set up, sure - but it's possible, and now I wonder if either side has proposed that.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:57 PM   #16493
orangekiwi
Addict
orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: paperwhite
Kobo currently has 40% of a select list with coupon 40BOX

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/p/40box

Normally I don't find much from these lists but this time it includes The Diving Series Starter Bundle by Kristine Kathryn Rusch $7.99 (before discount) which includes the first three books in the series (Diving into the Wreck, City of Ruins and Boneyards.) The bundle as it stands alone is already a good deal with the discount well worth buying if you haven't already bought them.

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/the...starter-bundle

A Ghost of a Chance Starter Bundle by Dean Wesley Smith is a similar deal
https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/a-g...starter-bundle
orangekiwi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coupon, discount, ridiculous deals