Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-03-2023, 03:55 PM   #16
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
There are several books on the January list that I'd like to read. Are anyone interested in reading along with a discussion (preferable here, but a buddy read on Storygraph is also OK) one of these?
  • The first to die at the end
  • The invisible life of Addie LaRue
  • The Unbroken
  • The winter garden
  • Six of crows
  • Gideon the ninth

Astrangerthere: Could you post a link to this thread from the challenge page? Since there's no way to see who has suggested what on Storygraph, this thread is helpful to find people who're interested in the same books.
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 04:34 PM   #17
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
Astrangerthere: Could you post a link to this thread from the challenge page? Since there's no way to see who has suggested what on Storygraph, this thread is helpful to find people who're interested in the same books.
Done.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 12:14 AM   #18
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I added Orphan X to my January read.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 07:54 PM   #19
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I have read my January book, Home Fire, which was very good indeed. But I'm no further ahead with the TBR list, as I am now reading the newly added Jane Austen at Home!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 07:59 PM   #20
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I switched January books from Jordan, Robert - The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time #1) to Memory Police by Yoko Ogawa. My brain just isn't into Fantasy at this time.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 08:15 AM   #21
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I switched January books from Jordan, Robert - The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time #1) to Memory Police by Yoko Ogawa. My brain just isn't into Fantasy at this time.
The Memory Police is an excellent piece of speculative fiction. I rather enjoyed it when I read it a few years back.

In other news - I have made a few updates to the master post for anyone who is using it.
Old 01-18-2023, 09:52 AM   #22
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I see someone added Jane Austen at Home to the January challenge. It’s a book I have so I wondered if it was someone here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
I added it! I'm excited to start in a few days

I was lucky to get it at Kobo UK for £0.99 a few months ago when pdurrant posted the sale in the Nonfiction thread. Earlier this month I got another book, Agatha Christie: An Elusive Woman, by the same author, and I'm looking forward to this one as well.
Quote:
I’d prefer this also.

I’m away from home right now but will be back at the end of the week and could start any time after that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I'll let one of you start the thread whenever you're ready
I finished Jane Austen at Home: A Biography last night. I do hope that some of you pick it up and we can have a chat about it.
Old 01-18-2023, 11:33 PM   #23
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm currently reading it, and enjoying it very much.
Old 01-20-2023, 06:35 PM   #24
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I’ve finished Jane Austen at Home and moved on to Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie, also a January selection, and in the meantime have bumped my own choice for January, A Block in Time, down the challenge list because I’m not sure I’ll also get to it this month.

LOL, no harm done. The Austen I own so it fits with reducing my TBR and Home Fire also fits with one of my themes for this year, ancient lit. And in fact I’m glad to think I’m reading in concert.

I also cheated a bit, in that I read Full Moon from my TBR and realized that nothing fits “an author [I] love” better than Wodehouse, so I added that in for February. Now I’m covered until March.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 06:14 AM   #25
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

I love this! Something about robbing Peter to pay Paul comes to mind, but as long as the overall TBR list reduces at the end of the day, it's a case of "job done"!

I'm still working through Worsley. I dislike the way in which she occasionally uses slang, which jars in a book about Austen and Georgian England. A couple of examples:

Quote:
It was the smaller things, the bonnets, the recipes, that were up for grabs.
and in reference to Jane Austen's brother Henry when he was shipwrecked off the coast of Ireland:

Quote:
... he made the most of it by sucking up to important people in Dublin.
Old 01-22-2023, 02:46 PM   #26
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I want to make a change to a book added to the SG challenge, but I can't figure out how to remove the original book. I must be missing something obvious.

Last edited by Desertway; 01-22-2023 at 03:06 PM.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 03:58 PM   #27
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertway View Post
I want to make a change to a book added to the SG challenge, but I can't figure out how to remove the original book. I must be missing something obvious.
Click on the prompt, i.e., the month where the book is, then click on the minus sign next to the book title.
Old 01-22-2023, 04:02 PM   #28
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
I ended up picking Rose Lerner's "The Wife in the Attic" for January. It's a Jane Eyre retelling, and both a left over (a book I've been planning to read for a while) and the first in a new series. I liked it a lot, which isn't a surprise as I've read and liked many other books by Lerner.
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 04:04 PM   #29
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I'm still working through Worsley. I dislike the way in which she occasionally uses slang, which jars in a book about Austen and Georgian England.
I think that’s part of what set my teeth on edge a bit; it’s a perfectly pleasant read but there’s a lack of rigor. And I run into variations of this problem frequently it seems, when the voice of the text doesn’t match the reality of the setting. Historical novels with 21st century sensibilities, for example; it’s also endemic in myth retellings in the original setting.
Old 01-22-2023, 06:10 PM   #30
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Click on the prompt, i.e., the month where the book is, then click on the minus sign next to the book title.
Good grief! How did I not see that? Thanks!
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote