Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 03-23-2009, 07:14 AM   #91
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I am not exactly new, but that is how I feel quite often.
Same here. In a way I don't really mind the cliquishness and the silliness of the Lounge, I just don't go there then. It could be nice to have a seperate space for more serious descussions, though I usually come here for reading and ebook related things anyway and I don't know how much it would interest me.

Last edited by Ea; 03-23-2009 at 07:15 AM. Reason: re-phrasing
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:45 AM   #92
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
It could be nice to have a seperate space for more serious descussions...
But how would this work in practice? Would someone (a mod?) need to judge when a light-hearted remark had overstepped the boundary into silliness?

If someone has started a serious (to them) discussion, I can see it would be annoying to see others treat it flippantly.
But, I would rather see a debate descend into silliness than vitriol - apart from anything else, it is easier for a debate to recover from levity and it can act to prevent things getting too heated.
Perceived 'cliquiness' is a problem, but I think generally all contributions are treated with equal respect. On a (very) few occasions I have seen what seemed to me 'mobbing' of one poster by a group and that has made me sad - but I think that behaviour is extremely rare.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2009, 12:10 PM   #93
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
But how would this work in practice? Would someone (a mod?) need to judge when a light-hearted remark had overstepped the boundary into silliness?
If there were 2 subforums, Silliness and standard lounge, it would really be easy peasy lemon squeezy.
People who like silliness would post in Silliness sub forum. The other subforum would be a subject to standard rules that apply to the rest of the forum in regard of hijacking and off-topic issues.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:23 PM   #94
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I do understand that threads do drift off topic. But a good thread will manage to get back on topic of if it cannot get back on topic, then it's time to close that thread or split it off from where it drifted into a new thread. That said, time to be on topic....

I do agree that it can feel like an in-crowd type of community in the forum and until you've been a regular long enough, you might not feel a part of they crowd. But right now, we don't have a place to post that does not fit into the other forum sections. The Lounge used to be that way, but it's gone into being a place for mostly silly. So unless I was starting a silly thread, I don't want to post in the Lounge. I don't see what the issue is to not add one more forum section that isn't the Lounge that can be what the Lounge was originally supposed to be and leave the Lounge as is. Can someone please give me a good reason to leave the mess (yes, I do think the Lounge is a mess) the way it is?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #95
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If there was a new forum, and a non-silly thread was started in the Lounge, would it get shifted to the new forum?
Advert
Old 03-23-2009, 05:08 PM   #96
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marysart View Post
I did find it intimidating even though I liked some of the threads. Why? Because I feel that there is a lot of clique forming going on in a lot of threads. Since I'm new here I don't now all the inn jokes. ...
I just wanted to say I agree with Marysart and JSWolf. I think the the Lounge is great and wouldn't want to begrudge anyone their friendships and banter, but the Lounge really isn't for me.

However, there are instances where I'd like to post on a topic that doesn't fit within any of the other forums, so it gets posted into the lounge. My preference would be a Lounge Forum and a seperate Miscellaneous Forum.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:01 AM   #97
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:

If someone has started a serious (to them) discussion, I can see it would be annoying to see others treat it flippantly.
But, I would rather see a debate descend into silliness than vitriol - apart from anything else, it is easier for a debate to recover from levity and it can act to prevent things getting too heated.
Perceived 'cliquiness' is a problem, but I think generally all contributions are treated with equal respect. On a (very) few occasions I have seen what seemed to me 'mobbing' of one poster by a group and that has made me sad - but I think that behaviour is extremely rare.
That's why I say "could" rather than should. A different forum isn't necessarily the right thing. And I think you're reading more into "cliquiness" than I meant - you could also call it "in-crowd-ness". I don't mind the lounge, I just don't feel at home there myself and thus go other places.
Anyway... I think Daithi's suggestion of a miscallaneous sub-forum is interesting. A couple of times there's been topics I'd like to post about but couldn't find anywhere to put them. The lounge doesn't feel like that kind of catch-all place to me - it's much more, well, "lounge-y" if that makes sense.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:24 AM   #98
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
My preference would be a Lounge Forum and a seperate Miscellaneous Forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I think Daithi's suggestion of a miscallaneous sub-forum is interesting.
This isn't meant to be argumentative, but there is already a sub-forum called Miscellaneous, in which the lounge is sub-sub-forum.

Miscellaneous Forum
  • Introduce Yourself
  • Flea Market
  • The Lounge
  • Feedback
  • Announcements
  • Archive

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:43 AM   #99
Sparrow
Wizard

How about a new Lounge thread prefix - 'Keep it Sensible' - to go alongside 'Silliness' and 'Meet Up'?
Old 03-24-2009, 09:56 AM   #100
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
That sounds REAL Sensible to me . . . and I'm not being a smarta**.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:56 AM   #101
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
How about a new Lounge thread prefix - 'Keep it Sensible' - to go alongside 'Silliness' and 'Meet Up'?
I like it.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:32 AM   #102
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I started a thread with the topic line "Serious Topic" to see if the thread would be hijacked if it was in the lounge. It has not been and the discussion has been a good one. I think it is very easy to have a serious discussion any where on the board if you ask respectfully that it be kept serious.

On the other hand, I fell that having a "Salon" an are for on-topic discussion of matters that concern us would be a great addition. The more options available, the better, in my opinion. We opened the Writer's Corner a few weeks ago and it is going great guns. Some silliness, but a lot of really good discussions about writing and out work that we are involved with.

Would anyone who hangs out in the Lounge be offended by having a "Serious Discussion" section? I would not. I would welcome it and participate in both areas.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:42 AM   #103
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
This isn't meant to be argumentative, but there is already a sub-forum called Miscellaneous, in which the lounge is sub-sub-forum.

Miscellaneous Forum
  • Introduce Yourself
  • Flea Market
  • The Lounge
  • Feedback
  • Announcements
  • Archive

WDE.
Miscellaneous is just the name for all of the forum sections you've listed. We cannot post there. And none of the other forum sections are a place to have threads that do not fit the rest of MR as they all have specific topics and Lounge is all we have and it's been hijaacked by silly threads. Not that I mind. But I do mind not having a place that does not have the silly threads. I think leave the Lounge as it is and move all the non-silly threads out of it into another forum section. Then that would solve the problem and everyone should be happy.

Nobody has yet given us a good reason why this cannot or should not be done.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:43 AM   #104
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I started a thread with the topic line "Serious Topic" to see if the thread would be hijacked if it was in the lounge. It has not been and the discussion has been a good one. I think it is very easy to have a serious discussion any where on the board if you ask respectfully that it be kept serious.

On the other hand, I fell that having a "Salon" an are for on-topic discussion of matters that concern us would be a great addition. The more options available, the better, in my opinion. We opened the Writer's Corner a few weeks ago and it is going great guns. Some silliness, but a lot of really good discussions about writing and out work that we are involved with.

Would anyone who hangs out in the Lounge be offended by having a "Serious Discussion" section? I would not. I would welcome it and participate in both areas.
I do like your idea of a Salon. It would leave the Lounge for the sillyness or whatever sort of fun stuff people want to have and the Salon could be for threads that just don't fit elsewhere.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:48 AM   #105
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do like your idea of a Salon. It would leave the Lounge for the sillyness or whatever sort of fun stuff people want to have and the Salon could be for threads that just don't fit elsewhere.
And then the silliness will leak into the Salon, and there'll be yet one more place to be silly.

Dandy idea.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote