Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-28-2020, 01:12 PM   #1
dragoworld235
dragoworld235 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo libra 2
Angry FNAC affiliation reset on newer firmware (4.23.15548, maybe before)

Hi,

I've bought my kobo aura h2o2v1 in France at the FNAC affiliate store.
Kobo from that store have the .kobo/affiliate.conf file with the setting affiliate=fnac in it (it's not my first kobo bought at the FNAC).
That setting make the kobo display the FNAC logo when sleeping or powered off instead of the last book cover an other informations.
Up to now, I just had to edit the affiliate.conf file, set affiliate=kobo and the cover was displayed.
Now it's still working, but the affiliation is reset to FNAC from time to time (every week I would say) and I have to set it back.
It's a new behavior from the latest firmwares.
Does anyone has a way to block that reset to fnac ?

Regards.
dragoworld235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:58 PM   #2
Mercador
I'm not a number!
Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
I would stay offline, I guess there's an online check.
Mercador is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2020, 02:14 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would do a search to see if there is something with the name FNAC is any of the other files.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:11 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
FWIW, haven't noticed it happening on my end, and I sync'ed recently.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:37 AM   #5
aNullValue
aNullValue juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseaNullValue juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseaNullValue juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseaNullValue juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseaNullValue juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseaNullValue juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseaNullValue juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseaNullValue juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseaNullValue juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseaNullValue juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseaNullValue juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Libra H2O; iPad Pro 10.5
I hadn't used my Libra H2O for a few months. I just turned it on this morning, and it restored my Walmart affiliation (that I'd removed immediately after getting it). The only reasons I was willing to buy from Walmart was because I needed the reader in a hurry when I bought it, and I knew that I could remove the Walmart logo. I hate Walmart even more than I do Amazon; if I can't find a way to prevent that logo from reappearing, I'll give this reader to someone who wants it, and find (or create) some reader that doesn't forcibly display that logo.
aNullValue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2020, 02:19 PM   #6
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
If You try to flag the file as read only what happens?

Only for curiosity, I changed the affiliation (in something that doesn't exist) to avoid firmware update when I am not ready to handle it. I synchronized and the non existent affiliation is still there. But my original affiliation is a banal "Kobo".
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:18 PM   #7
aNullValue
aNullValue juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseaNullValue juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseaNullValue juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseaNullValue juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseaNullValue juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseaNullValue juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseaNullValue juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseaNullValue juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseaNullValue juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseaNullValue juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseaNullValue juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Libra H2O; iPad Pro 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
If You try to flag the file as read only what happens?

Only for curiosity, I changed the affiliation (in something that doesn't exist) to avoid firmware update when I am not ready to handle it. I synchronized and the non existent affiliation is still there. But my original affiliation is a banal "Kobo".
Good question. I'll give that a shot the next time I spend time with my Kobo. I didn't previously, because it had just seemed to work. *shrug*
aNullValue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:55 AM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If that matters, while my devices were bought in a Fnac store, they're attached to a Kobo account, not a Kobo-via-Fnac one.
Old 09-29-2020, 04:54 PM   #9
Rojofo
Zealot
Rojofo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi to all,

I tried to find a solution to this by posting on the French Kobo forum — to no avail! I have the same problem.

Could someone please confirm that replacing Fnac in the affiilate.conf file by (say) "inexistant" will prevent the display of the horrible Fnac logo and show the book cover instead?

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: Well, using "inexistant" was useless! The Kobo reader simply displayed the Fnac logo even though Fnac was not in the Affiliate.conf file.

In fact, I don't have this problem with my other Kobo readers, only the Clara HD. Maybe, it's because I used a Fnac account at some point. Does anyone know how to change this.

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited by Rojofo; 09-29-2020 at 05:32 PM.
Rojofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:20 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I still don't have any issue on both of my Fnac-bought devices, FWIW. Affiliate is "kobo" on both, but, as I said earlier, they're registered to an actual Kobo account, not a Fnac one.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:09 AM   #11
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
I bought all my Kobos from Fnac, substituted Fnac with Kobo (I don't think no name works), and I've never had any problem with it, though I do have a "Kobo through Fnac" account. But that might be because nowadays I have as a screensaver random pictures from the "screensaver" file I created in .kobo. You might use that (with a blank picture for instance) as a turn around.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:15 AM   #12
dragoworld235
dragoworld235 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojofo View Post
Hi to all,

I tried to find a solution to this by posting on the French Kobo forum — to no avail! I have the same problem.

Could someone please confirm that replacing Fnac in the affiilate.conf file by (say) "inexistant" will prevent the display of the horrible Fnac logo and show the book cover instead?

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: Well, using "inexistant" was useless! The Kobo reader simply displayed the Fnac logo even though Fnac was not in the Affiliate.conf file.

In fact, I don't have this problem with my other Kobo readers, only the Clara HD. Maybe, it's because I used a Fnac account at some point. Does anyone know how to change this.

Many thanks in advance!
If you replace "fnac" by "kobo", the fnac logo will be gone.
But the reason of this thread is that that change that was permanent is now reversed from time to time. So you have to make the change each time. I've not found a way to make it permanent yet.
And on each kobo pages of the fnac, you can read the lie: "Toutes les liseuses Kobo sont sans aucune publicité"
dragoworld235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:59 AM   #13
Rojofo
Zealot
Rojofo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi Dragoworld,

thank you for this reply. In fact my problem is exactly this instability. I have a couple of other Kobos which are stable (I changed the Fnac reference to Kobo years ago and that has not changed).
I don't know why my Clara HD is not stable and changes back to Fnac behind my back!

It may be something to do with the type of account that I entered when I configured it. I don't really remember what I chose. So I suspect that the solution is to reconfigure the Clara HD completely not using any Fnac account. I'm not sure how to do this right now and would appreciate any advice.
Rojofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:44 AM   #14
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
After recently updating the firmware on Clara and going online to download dictionaries, I noticed my affiliate was reset to Walmart/Rukaten. No biggie. I just edited the affiliate file to set it back to my preference (Kobo).

Last edited by the.Mtn.Man; 09-30-2020 at 07:47 AM.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:15 AM   #15
nAhu
Enthusiast
nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: Kobo Glo (kobo4)
Hi,
Seems to be a reset while sync.
I am having the same problem but my kobo account is linking with my fnac account, may be the trick...
nAhu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
affiliate, fnac