Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-13-2020, 10:08 AM   #1
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Legionary

I don't usually waste my time reviewing a book that I didn't like, but I thought it might be interesting just from the stand point of why I didn't like it.

I picked up a book this week by Gordon Doherty named Legionary, the first in the Legionary series. It had good ratings, a fair number of ratings and it clicked a number of interests for me. It's an indie published under the author's publishing company.

I've read about half of it and that's as much time as I care to give it. IMPO, Doherty is a classic middling indie, i.e. his book is a basically a series of Vignettes loosely held together by a group of characters and kind of a plot but really isn't much of a story. So far, I haven't figured out why I should care about any of the main characters. There are a number of 3 or 4 page chapters where a character is introduced, then killed.

IMPO. the author could seriously use a good editor who could help him polish it into an interesting story. One of the more difficult things for an author to do is to throw away things that don't advance the story. That's one of the things a good editor can help an author with.

While that books are very different genre, I compare this book with Elizabeth Moon's Sheepherder's Daughter. They both are about a novice joining an established military. Yet, Sheepheader's Daughter is a story, it a journey heading to an end point.

He has actually written a fair number of books and has plenty of good reviews, so enough people like his books to keep him writing. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote