Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-21-2020, 03:02 PM   #1
stevecoh1
stevecoh1 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Proprietary format for mymustreads.com

I have a kindle paperwhite but it's getting harder and harder to hold a charge. So I want to replace it. Amazon offers me a discount on a replacement and I'm looking at the Oasis, which I would go for except for one thing. I don't actually like being locked into Amazon's prison. There are alternative e-book vendors. One I've looked at is mymustreads.com, which seems to be a collection of independent bookshops. I'd much rather support such an entity than amazon.com, if possible. These folks offer e-books, but in some sort of proprietary format. I wrote to ask them what this format was, and their reply was unsatisfying to me, a calibre user.
Thank you for supporting your local bookstore!
All My Must Read titles are in a proprietary format and must be read via the app or website.
Well, I don't want to move from amazon only to be locked into some other proprietary format!

Does anyone on this forum know what this format is, and whether it can be converted to read on kindle?

If so I can buy a new kindle and be done with it. Otherwise, I would perhaps choose something like the IPad Mini (which would have kindle apps and this new proprietary app) to read on, though I prefer the kindle for battery life.
stevecoh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:09 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecoh1 View Post
I have a kindle paperwhite but it's getting harder and harder to hold a charge. So I want to replace it. Amazon offers me a discount on a replacement and I'm looking at the Oasis, which I would go for except for one thing. I don't actually like being locked into Amazon's prison. There are alternative e-book vendors. One I've looked at is mymustreads.com, which seems to be a collection of independent bookshops. I'd much rather support such an entity than amazon.com, if possible. These folks offer e-books, but in some sort of proprietary format. I wrote to ask them what this format was, and their reply was unsatisfying to me, a calibre user.
Thank you for supporting your local bookstore!
All My Must Read titles are in a proprietary format and must be read via the app or website.
Well, I don't want to move from amazon only to be locked into some other proprietary format!

Does anyone on this forum know what this format is, and whether it can be converted to read on kindle?

If so I can buy a new kindle and be done with it. Otherwise, I would perhaps choose something like the IPad Mini (which would have kindle apps and this new proprietary app) to read on, though I prefer the kindle for battery life.
mymustreads uses an app that you have to use. You cannot read the eBooks on a Kindle.

But, you can remove the DRM from ePub eBook (not B&N and Apple) and convert those to KF8 for your Kindle.

You just need to go to https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com and install the DeDRM Calibre plugin. If you need help using it, ask at the blog.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2020, 03:20 PM   #3
stevecoh1

please clarify

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
mymustreads uses an app that you have to use. You cannot read the eBooks on a Kindle.

But, you can remove the DRM from ePub eBook (not B&N and Apple) and convert those to KF8 for your Kindle.

You just need to go to https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com and install the DeDRM Calibre plugin. If you need help using it, ask at the blog.
Not sure I understand your reply. Are you saying that there is no way to convert mymustreads books to be read on kindle

OR

are you saying that with this plugin in Calibre, I could convert such books to be read on kindle?
Old 07-21-2020, 03:23 PM   #4
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
You can't install the necessary app on an e-ink Kindle. You'd have to install the app on a pc or Mac, assuming they offer an app for those systems.

Then you'd need to run Calibre with the mentioned plugins, and get the book files from your pc app into Calibre. Once the drm was removed, the book can be converted to a Kindle format and placed on a Kindle for reading.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 04:07 PM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I don't know, but I'd be surprised if a format only used by one small web site had been reverse engineered and so could be read on an E-Ink Kindle.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2020, 04:25 PM   #6
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The FAQ's for that sites indicate only Android and iOS apps, no apps for downloading to a pc or Mac. It looks like you can read on a computer via a browser, but that wouldn't download the book.

As far as I know there is no way to retrieve a book file from an iOS device, from any reading app. I don't know about android.

The only way to use Calibre is to get the actual book file into Calibre. You can't do that if you can't liberate the book file in the first place.

Seems like a small time operation. Why not stick with the major e-book sellers, Amazon, Kobo, etc? Just because Amazon "locks you in" doesn't mean you have stay with Amazon. I've used Amazon books on a Kobo, and Kobo books on my Kindles. It's not that difficult for someone with average tech know how.
Old 07-21-2020, 04:31 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not sure I understand your reply. Are you saying that there is no way to convert mymustreads books to be read on kindle

OR

are you saying that with this plugin in Calibre, I could convert such books to be read on kindle?
I'm saying that the eBooks that mymustreads sell need to be read with their app. The app has nothing to do with Calibre and you cannot read the eBooks on your Kindle. It's some proprietary format used so you need the app. If you buy from mymustreads, you are wasting your money.

I am also saying you can buy ePub format eBooks from shops such as Kobo.com or eBooks.com and remove the DRM using a plugin for Calibre. Once done, you can convert the ePub to a format usable on your Kindle.
Old 07-21-2020, 04:33 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
You can't install the necessary app on an e-ink Kindle. You'd have to install the app on a pc or Mac, assuming they offer an app for those systems.

Then you'd need to run Calibre with the mentioned plugins, and get the book files from your pc app into Calibre. Once the drm was removed, the book can be converted to a Kindle format and placed on a Kindle for reading.
I doubt the eBooks can be converted to something that can go into Calibre to be converted to KF8.
Old 07-21-2020, 04:38 PM   #9
Deskisamess
Wizard

Quote:
I doubt the eBooks can be converted to something that can go into Calibre to be converted to KF8.
Wasn't even thinking about that. If that proprietary format is that obscure, are the correct plugins even available? If they aren't, Calibre won't be able to format shift, even if the file can be accessed.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited by Deskisamess; 07-21-2020 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-21-2020, 04:45 PM   #10
stevecoh1

Quote:

Thanks for the clarification.

So the key point is that proprietary apps don't allow access to the underlying ebook file and therefore Calibre has no solution for reading mymustreads books on a kindle.
Old 07-21-2020, 04:49 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

So the key point is that proprietary apps don't allow access to the underlying ebook file and therefore Calibre has no solution for reading mymustreads books on a kindle.
You might be able to access the underlying eBook. But you won't be able to do anything with it in Calibre because of the DRM and format.
Old 07-21-2020, 04:50 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

In an nutshell, yes.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:47 AM   #13
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
It's a myth that you're "locked into" Amazon if you have a kindle. You can get books in most formats from other sellers, such as Kobo, strip the DRM then convert the epub into AZW3 or whatever kindle format you prefer. Just visit Apprentice Alf (already linked above) to learn how to do this.

There's really no such thing as an Amazon walled garden, especially if you download your books to transfer via usb, then you have them on your harddrive.

But mymustreads DOES appear to securely lock you in by forcing you to use an app which can't be used on your pc.

The Kindle4PC software, however, does let you remove the DRM and convert the ebooks (I used to convert these to the Sony format to read on my old 505, but I have two kindles now.)

Last edited by BookCat; 07-22-2020 at 10:51 AM.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:23 PM   #14
Deskisamess
Wizard

None of this is as difficult as it may seem. I'm a women of a certain age, and with some reading, have been able to figure out the parts of Calibre needed for this.

Certain parts of the program are still over my head, but the basics of running an old version of the Kindle app, and format shifting, are easy to do.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:18 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I would be very surprised if the website in question wasn't selling epubs with some sort of adobe encryption applied. Small eshops aren't very likely to invest in developing a house proprietary format/drm/app. Not considering the huge disadvantage they're starting with just by hanging their shingle, anyway. If they're legit, the back end has to be turn-key or they're never going to make a dime. And if they're dealing with bestsellers (as their faq indicates they are), then that turn-key back end is some sort of enterprise Adobe variant. I'd bet on it.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle mymustreads