Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-27-2023, 08:01 PM   #1
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Amazon Prime/Amazon Fresh

On the heels of eliminating AmazonSmile, Amazon has now decided to charge Prime members for Amazon Fresh deliveries under $150. Per the email I received today:

Quote:
Starting Feb. 28, 2023, Amazon Fresh delivery orders under $150 will incur a service fee. Prime members will continue to receive free grocery delivery on orders more than $150. Delivery charges will be $3.95 for orders $100-$150, $6.95 for orders $50-$100, and $9.95 for orders under $50.
This addition of a delivery fee eliminates what has become the major reason for my Amazon Prime membership; I started grocery shopping with Fresh early in the pandemic and have continued because of the convenience and generally good prices. I don't think I've ever hit the $150 level, though--that's a lot of groceries!

My Prime membership is up for renewal in only two weeks, and renewing seemed to be a no-brainer, but now? I really don't know if it's worth it.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 08:08 PM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
On the heels of eliminating AmazonSmile, Amazon has now decided to charge Prime members for Amazon Fresh deliveries under $150. Per the email I received today:

This addition of a delivery fee eliminates what has become the major reason for my Amazon Prime membership; I started grocery shopping with Fresh early in the pandemic and have continued because of the convenience and generally good prices. I don't think I've ever hit the $150 level, though--that's a lot of groceries!

My Prime membership is up for renewal in only two weeks, and renewing seemed to be a no-brainer, but now? I really don't know if it's worth it.
I live in the hinterlands, or at least the hinterlandish, and a lot of Prime benefits including Fresh aren’t available here, so I can see the justification. There’s Prime and there’s Prime, depending on where you live. That said, why not order ahead for a bit on all fronts and then quit Prime and see how you feel? And even if you only go a month without it, that’s a significant savings.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2023, 08:35 PM   #3
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I live in the hinterlands, or at least the hinterlandish, and a lot of Prime benefits including Fresh aren’t available here, so I can see the justification. There’s Prime and there’s Prime, depending on where you live. That said, why not order ahead for a bit on all fronts and then quit Prime and see how you feel? And even if you only go a month without it, that’s a significant savings.
That's my first inclination--not to renew, and possibly pick up membership later, maybe even wait till Prime Day. Last year my membership was $120, renewal now is $140, so that price increase is another factor.

I'd like to see what Amazon is doing regarding delivery fees and minimums for non-Prime members.
Old 01-28-2023, 06:51 AM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
That's my first inclination--not to renew, and possibly pick up membership later, maybe even wait till Prime Day. Last year my membership was $120, renewal now is $140, so that price increase is another factor.

I'd like to see what Amazon is doing regarding delivery fees and minimums for non-Prime members.
I understand bean counting and making perks pay for themselves, but Amazon’s getting people’s backs up lately. That they broke Prime Music under the guise of offering more fooled no one at all.
Old 01-28-2023, 08:04 AM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I live in the hinterlands, or at least the hinterlandish, and a lot of Prime benefits including Fresh aren’t available here, so I can see the justification. ...
Are you saying they are adding a delivery price floor so they will be able to deliver to the hinterlandish?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2023, 08:20 AM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Are you saying they are adding a delivery price floor so they will be able to deliver to the hinterlandish?
Nope; just saying that the same Prime fee gets fewer perks.
Old 01-28-2023, 09:35 AM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Nope; just saying that the same Prime fee gets fewer perks.
Thanks.

I am in a similar situation, and I don't even consider myself hinterlandish. 2 large grocery stores and a Walmart superstore (and 5 Dunkins ) are within a 10 minute drive.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 10:02 AM   #8
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
(and 5 Dunkins )
I am not a New England native and while I like it here, there are a few exceptions. Dunkin’s is one of them.
Old 01-28-2023, 11:04 AM   #9
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
edit: Misunderstood, oops.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 01-28-2023 at 11:06 AM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 11:04 AM   #10
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
I am not a New England native and while I like it here, there are a few exceptions. Dunkin’s is one of them.
Krispy Kreme for the win.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 11:16 AM   #11
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
i may be missing something but having to order over $150 of FRESH,is not going to work. Unless you have a monster fridge or a large dinner party to serve ?

i struggle to find enough stuff i need to reach the £40 minimum for a free-for-prime members Morrisons groceries order in UK. [ & that's an appalling service anyway, so when I give up prime I wont miss it ]. I don't qualify for Fresh - we must be too rural. I do still qualify on prime for a years free deliveroo deliveries, apparently, but I don't want to use deliveroo.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 11:24 AM   #12
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
i may be missing something but having to order over $150 of FRESH,is not going to work. Unless you have a monster fridge or a large dinner party to serve ?
Have you seen the price of groceries these days? (Relevant Beaverton article.)
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 12:16 PM   #13
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
If your primary reason for using Prime is no longer available to you (due to the minimum order), then it doesn't make sense to renew it.

Note: an order over $150 would be nothing for a family of 4. For one or two people, you'd have to be buying pretty pricey items or setting up for a party or something. Unfortunately, this will be a problem for disabled people or those without a car within the delivery area.

I'm not sure we can really justify Prime either, but my brother pays for it as he is unable to shop, so it's covered. I have a subaccount on his, so get most of the same benefits.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 01:01 PM   #14
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I get my groceries delivered by one of the Stop & Shops here in MA It's just me ordering and my bill is always over $200.00 with a 6.95 delivery fee. The minimum amount you can order is $60.00 for the same $6.95 fee. Considering all the time, effort and back breaking work they are saving me, I have no problem paying that fee and have been doing so for 25 years!

I order my groceries once a month and buy enough to make it last for that month.

Put it into perspective, someone else shops for you, packs it up, and delivers it for you. You don't have to get up, dress, spend your gas, time and wandering all over a store then have to lug what you bought home.

Quite frankly that is quite a bargain. It's no doubt costing Amazon quite a bit to provide this service, just like the 2-day free shipping. It's why they invested in buying their own fleet of vehicles to bypass utilizing the other mail services.

Sometimes we get so caught up in the money, we forget to see the forest for the trees.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 01:33 PM   #15
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
I get my groceries delivered by one of the Stop & Shops here in MA It's just me ordering and my bill is always over $200.00 with a 6.95 delivery fee. The minimum amount you can order is $60.00 for the same $6.95 fee. Considering all the time, effort and back breaking work they are saving me, I have no problem paying that fee and have been doing so for 25 years!

I order my groceries once a month and buy enough to make it last for that month.

Put it into perspective, someone else shops for you, packs it up, and delivers it for you. You don't have to get up, dress, spend your gas, time and wandering all over a store then have to lug what you bought home.

Quite frankly that is quite a bargain. It's no doubt costing Amazon quite a bit to provide this service, just like the 2-day free shipping. It's why they invested in buying their own fleet of vehicles to bypass utilizing the other mail services.

Sometimes we get so caught up in the money, we forget to see the forest for the trees.
Yes and no. I use Amazon Fresh because it was a perk. If it's no longer a perk, I might as well use Stop and Shop's delivery instead, for a similar cost. It was what I used early in the pandemic, but Stop and Shop's service was horrible then--understandably so, but I'd be lucky to get half the items I ordered and delivery slots were extremely hard to get. Presumably it's better now! I don't have a problem paying for delivery; I have a problem with Amazon charging me for delivery on top of my Prime membership, devaluing it considerably.

The cancellation of AmazonSmile, knowing the effect it has on small community organizations, like the one I supported, is certainly a factor in my resistance to Amazon wanting to charge me more for groceries now. It feels like two blows in quick succession, and I'm angry.