Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-05-2023, 11:22 PM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kspn View Post
I assume you mean something like the PaperWhite (this is just to ensure that I have it right in my head)
Yes, that's right. I don't think a Fire tablet will do the trick.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 11:25 PM   #17
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Unfortunately, every time DeDRM (now NoDRM) managed to break the KFX DRM, Amazon changed it (if the rumour is correct, sometimes within hours).
Yeah, I remember.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2023, 12:08 AM   #18
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
Any e-ink kindle--even one with a cracked screen will do, the older the better, since the old one can't read kfx.

Until recently I downloaded newspapers "for" my registered Kindle 1! (I don't know where the machine is, but it doesn't matter. (I wanted the older newpaper format.)

I took a quick look at ebay and saw one for $20 (Kindle touch, gen 4).

In fact, there is one for $12, listed as parts-only but it probably can be registered on Amazon manually.
You should be able to register that model over wifi. But you need 2 factor authentication turned on so you get a PIN to append to your password (I think you can also set it up with an authenticator app and not just a mobile number).

I had the 4th generation Kindle (non touch) briefly just a couple of months ago and was able to register it successfully (I traded it in towards a new Kindle). The Kindle Touch is also 4th generation.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 12:11 AM   #19
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The calibre plugin makes it appear that it will (there is an option to enter Fire serial number), and maybe it once worked, but no longer.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 12:55 AM   #20
kspn
kspn began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo,Android
I decided to cave in and picked up a device to aid in my book reading
Now I just need around 200 books to cover the cost
kspn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2023, 06:12 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
That is correct. It has to be an eInk Kindle. K3 or later.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 06:33 AM   #22
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
Any e-ink kindle--even one with a cracked screen will do, the older the better, since the old one can't read kfx.
If they are old enough, they can't even read AZW3/KF8. Anything older than a Kindle 3 aka Kindle Keyboard (which includes the Kindle DXG that's still registered to my account) is stuck with MOBI.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 07:56 AM   #23
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That is correct. It has to be an eInk Kindle. K3 or later.
Technically the DXG is later, but software-wise it's really the earlier DX. It just has a brighter screen than the DX. It & DX were obsolete at launch. Too little RAM and too poor language support. Too low resolution at 9.7″ for PDFs. Too slow CPU for PDFs
Worst ereader I ever bought.
The KK3 has to be updated firmware and Amazon has to know this as it originally only did mobo. There may also now be registration issues.
Perhaps a safer minimum is a Kindle Basic or PW1.
Though my KK3 did get three azw3 ebooks from Amazon last week. It's the sole ereader on that account.

I always go to My Content and Devices and Download to PC for USB transfer and never turn on WiFi except if battery was flat (only way to reset date).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 09:46 AM   #24
iBeth
Enthusiast
iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ebw1150, nook, kindle oasis, kobo libra2
maybe this is the end of my kindle era

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpegg View Post
So sad, Amazon. Bricking up the few gaps in your wall will keep out more people than you keep in.

I started out with a Nook, buying books from Barnes and Noble. I ditched them as soon as they made it quite difficult to download books to a PC for side-loading to a reader.
I am the same--started with Nook and ditched them as soon as they made downloading difficult. In my case, the situation was exacerbated by the way that BN swallowed up Fictionwise. I merged my nook library with my fictionwise library, which promptly broke the wifi transfer function because my library had too many titles.

My library is much larger now because I am a sucker for those one-day sales. It's convenient to have books in my kindle library (though I have often purchased from kobo). But I have lost books before because they were locked in an old format (geb, lit . . .) and don't want to spend money on books that I can't transfer to whatever device I want to read on.

I'm viewing these latest changes with a mix of apprehension and relief. Apprehension because I like the current setup. Relief because maybe it will break my purchasing addiction. My calibre library is already huge, plus my public library loans out ebooks, so it's not like I will run out of things to read.
iBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 10:25 AM   #25
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Yes, you can (so far, at least). What you can't do is download them with an older Kindle for PC app. That's what most people did (for deDRM purposes) who don't have an eink Kindle device, but have another brand, like Kobo or Pocketbook.

The option to download a book from your Content and Devices page is there only if you have an eink Kindle registered to your account.
Okay, thank you for clearing that up.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 01:13 PM   #26
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeth View Post
I am the same--started with Nook and ditched them as soon as they made downloading difficult.
I'm another Nook refugee

Quote:
I'm viewing these latest changes with a mix of apprehension and relief. Apprehension because I like the current setup. Relief because maybe it will break my purchasing addiction.
Yeah. My main concern now is what authors do I have that are Kindle exclusive and I'll have a hard time finding more books from them.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 01:31 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Technically the DXG is later, but software-wise it's really the earlier DX. It just has a brighter screen than the DX. It & DX were obsolete at launch. Too little RAM and too poor language support. Too low resolution at 9.7″ for PDFs. Too slow CPU for PDFs
Worst ereader I ever bought.
The KK3 has to be updated firmware and Amazon has to know this as it originally only did mobo. There may also now be registration issues.
Perhaps a safer minimum is a Kindle Basic or PW1.
Though my KK3 did get three azw3 ebooks from Amazon last week. It's the sole ereader on that account.

I always go to My Content and Devices and Download to PC for USB transfer and never turn on WiFi except if battery was flat (only way to reset date).
Even though Amazon called it the KK3, it's still just the K3.
Old 01-06-2023, 02:05 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yeah. My main concern now is what authors do I have that are Kindle exclusive and I'll have a hard time finding more books from them.
Buy a cheap Kindle that supports KF8. That would solve your problem for now.
Old 01-06-2023, 02:29 PM   #29
Lys
Zealot
Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Try and contact the authors, explain why you are unable to support them and buy their books anymore, and maybe one day we will live in a better world where Amazon exclusive contracts won't exist anymore #dreaming

Kidding aside, as someone who doesn't own a Kindle (and who after this move has 0 desire to ever buy a Kindle), I do feel you.
Lys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 02:57 PM   #30
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
My thought: "if it's exclusive, oh well. There's lots of other books." Still stinks— there was one series I was interested in following.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote