Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-20-2022, 09:27 PM   #1
tatagi
Connoisseur
tatagi began at the beginning.

Device: none
any free epub to pdf conversion tool for Windows?

I might sound demanding but it is hard to understand why there're not so many epub-to-pdf converters in the market(free or paid) unlike audio players or text editors that are mostly freewares.

usually two options are available for free.

1. online converter(but with limitation in file size, number of files to be converted daily, etc)

2. desktop installation converter (many of them are just trial versions or sometimes a scam or virus)

Calibre gets the job done but it's too heavy program, overkill to ppl that are not using it intensively.

are there any free nitty offline converters that are fully functional without having to messing with epub myself for preoptimizing the file that's to be converted? recommendations are welcomed.
tatagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 09:44 PM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Maybe because there are very few good reasons to convert to pdf? Whenever I've wanted to save something to PDF, I've just used the print-to-pdf tool built in to my OS. (Does Windows not have that?) But that's very rare, and I've never had occasion to want to convert an epub to pdf, a much less usable format.

ETA: I just tested an epub-to-pdf conversion using Calibre. It took three keypresses and 14 seconds, and worked great. I guess I'm not seeing the problem?

Last edited by meeera; 11-20-2022 at 09:54 PM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2022, 10:13 PM   #3
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
I know this might not suit you, since you made it clear that you want a nifty GUI program, but I've been using this one-line command in Windows, as part of a batch script that does Full Text Searches in Calibre Library and converts the results snippets to pdf:

Code:
ebook-convert file.epub file.pdf --unit millimeter --font-size-mapping=10 --custom-size 155x280 --pdf-page-margin-left 15 --pdf-page-margin-right 15 --pdf-page-margin-top 15 --pdf-page-margin-bottom 26 --pdf-standard-font sans --pdf-page-numbers --page-breaks-before "/" --chapter "/" --change-justification justify --pdf-mark-links --authors "Calibre FTS" --book-producer "Calibre FTS"
In the actual script I have even added a custom CSS, using the option --extra-css, and it does the job quite rapidly...
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 11:08 AM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatagi View Post

1. online converter(but with limitation in file size, number of files to be converted daily, etc)

2. desktop installation converter (many of them are just trial versions or sometimes a scam or virus)
That is because those sites pour all their effort into "search engine optimization" instead of into producing something people actually want to use. So those end up on top of search results.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 11:52 AM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
I might sound demanding but it is hard to understand why there're not so many epub-to-pdf converters in the market(free or paid) unlike audio players or text editors that are mostly freewares.

Calibre gets the job done but it's too heavy program, overkill to ppl that are not using it intensively.

are there any free nitty offline converters that are fully functional without having to messing with epub myself for preoptimizing the file that's to be converted? recommendations are welcomed.
So, you want free, easy, don't need to know anything, don't want limitations on your use, don't want to learn anything and don't want to pay for it, right?

Gosh, who could overlook making something like that? Those fools! It's a shocker that I haven't overthrown my entire company, to leap into action to make a time-sucking, non-paying, no-money-deal program with apparently zero gratitude for its existence, like that, just for the sheer reward! Who could resist?

¯\_(⌣̯̀⌣́)_/¯

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2022, 12:31 PM   #6
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
So, you want free, easy, don't need to know anything, don't want limitations on your use, don't want to learn anything and don't want to pay for it, right?

Gosh, who could overlook making something like that? Those fools! It's a shocker that I haven't overthrown my entire company, to leap into action to make a time-sucking, non-paying, no-money-deal program with apparently zero gratitude for its existence, like that, just for the sheer reward! Who could resist?

¯\_(⌣̯̀⌣́)_/¯

Hitch

soooo......no??

Personally I don't understand the argument that calibre "is too heavy"... it's only 151mb... if you only use it for an occasional conversion to pdf () then that is well worth the small overhead. Yes, it is larger than a dos command, but if you can't find the goose that lays the golden eggs, then you can at least appreciate the golden eggs.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 06:28 PM   #7
tatagi
Connoisseur
tatagi began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfy.n View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post

Thank you all for the response.
I will give calibre a shot then. especially the command line conversion sound promising.

but still there's question that hasn't been answered in my mind.
so how can paid converters compete with calibre when it's compeletely free and open source? it's no contest.

another question : how can I quote multiple users in one post so that they know they're given feedback?
tatagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 08:14 PM   #8
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
another question : how can I quote multiple users in one post so that they know they're given feedback?
Use the multi-quote button to the right of the quote button. Use the quote button on the last post to be quoted.
Old 11-21-2022, 11:29 PM   #9
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
You'll also find that a lot (most??) of those "paid converters" are just using the calibre code in the background... one that comes to mind...although with some changes to the original source... is Smashword's meatgrinder. I don't know if they license calibre software or what??
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 11:33 PM   #10
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
but still there's question that hasn't been answered in my mind.
so how can paid converters compete with calibre when it's compeletely free and open source? it's no contest.?
There's a sucker born every minute.

"Calibre's too haaard for you, here pay us and we'll make it easy" is a sales pitch that works on some people. As is just trading on people's ignorance of the tools available.
Old 11-22-2022, 04:24 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The answer to the question is CALIBRE.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 05:50 AM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There's a sucker born every minute.

"Calibre's too haaard for you, here pay us and we'll make it easy" is a sales pitch that works on some people. As is just trading on people's ignorance of the tools available.
I wouldn't go that far (the sucker line). Look, my own business is that and print design/layout. There are folks who want to make their own eBooks and those that don't. It's pretty much that simple.

Those that do, will do what you've done, bang around, look at options; they'll bother to learn pesky stuff like Styles and Headings and get a fundamental grasp of the necessities of HTML (or at least MSFT Word, et al) and then they'll give it a go.

Then there are my clients--who range from "can't be bothered and can afford to pay for the service," to "couldn't find their DOWNLOADS folder with a search warrant, binoculars and a detailed map." That's just how it is. They also pay. And a good number that feel that they earn money when they are writing, not when they are formatting--so they pay us. Everybody's happy.

And of course, we have those that want the "whole enchilada," which is, they need a print interior designed AND they want their eBook to look/feel "just" like it--or channel the look/feel and for the typical ammy DIY eBooker, doing that is a bridge too far.

I dunno, I can't swear we'll still be here, chugging along in 5 years or even 5 months, for that matter, but we've muttered along for 13 years so far. Everybody is different and how they get to a formatted eBook--shrug--each takes their own path.

Hitch
Old 11-22-2022, 05:53 AM   #13
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I wouldn't go that far (the sucker line). Look, my own business is that and print design/layout. There are folks who want to make their own eBooks and those that don't.
Oh, for business purposes, sure. I didn't at all get the impression the OP was talking about commercial ebook production, just consumer conversion, given that they wanted a completely free and simple tool.
Old 11-22-2022, 08:17 AM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Oh, for business purposes, sure. I didn't at all get the impression the OP was talking about commercial ebook production, just consumer conversion, given that they wanted a completely free and simple tool.
Oh, I know and my comment wasn't really directed to you. Just sort of an instant knee-jerk reaction--I get this a lot, 'round the web--people who do know how to roll their own with, say, a Word file, (or Calibre, whatever) telling newbies (and the odd bits and orts here and there) "never" to pay for formatting or conversion because formatters/covnerters/designers/yadda are all thieves or worse. It's just...it's habit with me to respond. That's all.

Sorry if it remotely sounded like I was talking at you. I truly wasn't. :-) As I said, force of habit. (And I can't blame a lot of the naysayers, by the way. I've seen some godawful work in my time and *I* get furious with the scum that are out there!!!)

Hitch
Old 11-22-2022, 01:20 PM   #15
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
You'll also find that a lot (most??) of those "paid converters" are just using the calibre code in the background... one that comes to mind...although with some changes to the original source... is Smashword's meatgrinder. I don't know if they license calibre software or what??
calibre's license is GPL v3, what additional licensing would be required for the above uses?