Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 05-09-2022, 07:03 PM   #1
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Calibre Companion FAQ

I just tried using the Wayback Machine to access an archived copy of the FAQ. Many of the most recent archives were redirects, but this link will get to a version from December 2018. https://web.archive.org/web/20181206...ultipie.co.uk/

There is also an archive of http://faq.calibrecompanion.co/ from May 2021 at https://web.archive.org/web/20210525...ecompanion.co/

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Last edited by PeterT; 05-09-2022 at 07:09 PM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 06:39 AM   #2
bazookajoe
Connoisseur
bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.

Device: Onyx Leaf, excessive amount of Android devices
Bump. Thanks Peter. I've bookmarked that for future questions.
bazookajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 03:18 PM   #3
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Too bad we can't finagle a way of going back before that purchaser screwed it up.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 08:38 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Too bad we can't finagle a way of going back before that purchaser screwed it up.
I think the challenge to any author of niche android software is balancing the work / cost of developing their product vs the price people are prepared to pay. Also the challenge of supporting a myriad of devices and Google API changes, especially with regards to security restrictions.

The challenge gets even worse when one adds in a second ecosystem for Apple IoS.

Old 05-11-2022, 01:49 AM   #5
skillachie
Addict
skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10" , Kindle Fire, Pixel 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I think the challenge to any author of niche android software is balancing the work / cost of developing their product vs the price people are prepared to pay. Also the challenge of supporting a myriad of devices and Google API changes, especially with regards to security restrictions.

The challenge gets even worse when one adds in a second ecosystem for Apple IoS.

Indeed. it gets very costly and results in apps that are not sustainable and have to be abandoned. Development and maintenance of most apps especially when you go cross platform is not a one off cost.
skillachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 09:26 AM   #6
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post

I agree, but making changes that tank the software without allowing folks to go back to a previous working version is what I'm complaining about. I do have the previous version on my Androids, but not on the Ipad which is my go to reader.
Old 05-11-2022, 11:03 AM   #7
bazookajoe
Connoisseur
bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.

Device: Onyx Leaf, excessive amount of Android devices
I'm curious, what previous versions are better for Android than the current one in the store (5.4.4.19)?

The issues I have is night mode not working properly in grouping draw (I'd pay $50 just to get that fixed lol) and it being really slow to actually timing out on my Tab A 8.0 2019 w/S-Pen and Tab A 8.4 2020 it's usually best for me to use cloud download in that situation. Thankfully OneDrive still works fine.

I need to resync a few books I've changed the tags of but it just times out on those two. Otherwise my S20+, Tab S6 and Boox Leaf work pretty well (except with OTG SD card proper use post Android 10. Sigh).
bazookajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 11:15 AM   #8
peaceridge
Guru

You can't get the good previous version - previous version meaning before it was bought and changed - unless you sideload it and jump thru hoops. However, the sort works much better and it has several options that were removed in the new version. I don't know if you can even find it anymore to sideload and if so, will it work on the newer Android version 12. I'm glad it is working for you. I certainly learned my lesson, never get the new version (unless it is Calibre) until others have installed it and checked it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazookajoe View Post
I'm curious, what previous versions are better for Android than the current one in the store (5.4.4.19)?

The issues I have is night mode not working properly in grouping draw (I'd pay $50 just to get that fixed lol) and it being really slow to actually timing out on my Tab A 8.0 2019 w/S-Pen and Tab A 8.4 2020 it's usually best for me to use cloud download in that situation. Thankfully OneDrive still works fine.

I need to resync a few books I've changed the tags of but it just times out on those two. Otherwise my S20+, Tab S6 and Boox Leaf work pretty well (except with OTG SD card proper use post Android 10. Sigh).
Old 05-11-2022, 03:01 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Could we take discussions of things BESIDES the FAQ to another thread please.