Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-17-2022, 11:37 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But you have to love artsy type movies.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 10:33 PM   #17
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Check out a sampling of their various offerings:

https://www.criterionchannel.com/browse
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 07:37 AM   #18
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Well, one can watch only so many car crashes, explosions, flying men in tights, and sword fights before a severe twitch develops. . .
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:24 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Check out a sampling of their various offerings:

https://www.criterionchannel.com/browse
Yep, artsy films. That's not to say there are not any good films there. But one thing I noticed is they really need apps for smart TVs.
Old 01-20-2022, 09:32 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Well, one can watch only so many car crashes, explosions, flying men in tights, and sword fights before a severe twitch develops. . .
I'll disagree about the twitch. I've binged the first eight fast & Furious movies. I've binged the MCU movies. I watched Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings yesterday. I've binged The Lord of the Rings (extended) movies.

But I do like other type of movies. They don't all have to be action movies. One movie that's going to be watched this weekend is The Father. It's available to stream in UHD/HDR.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:24 AM   #21
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yep, artsy films. That's not to say there are not any good films there. But one thing I noticed is they really need apps for smart TVs.
Well, I finished my Debbie Does Dallas days 40-50 years ago, and I've now moved on to (your term) 'artsy' films - along with the occasional sci-fi, horror, and zombie flick. But only if some gooey brains are present.

Give me a dark noir film - along with Citizen Kane and a Fellini film - and that's my orgasmic paradise.

On the app situation - a big YES!

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-21-2022 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:29 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Well, I finished my Debbie Does Dallas days 40-50 years ago, and I've now moved on to (your term) 'artsy' films - along with the occasional sci-fi, horror, and zombie flick. But only if some gooey brains are present.

Give me a dark noir film - along with Citizen Kane and a Fellini film - and that's my orgasmic paradise.

Any streaming service without a TV app is a big no.

However, I do place to watch The Father tomorrow night.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:06 AM   #23
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:

I love Noir.

In fact, I have an exceeding fondness for films from the 30's-40's. In the 50's, I start to go off of many, but there are some standouts.

I was very upset when TCM's first streaming service went kaput--particularly because I'd never known it existed. Now, given how often I watch TCM, how that particular offering flew under my radar, damned if I know, but all I can say is, they must have done an abysmal job of advertising/promoting/marketing it, because I would have been in heaven. (sigh). Yes, they still have a streaming channel now, but it's meh. They simply show the same movies that they've had on, in a given week, for another week.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 12:07 PM   #24
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Any streaming service without a TV app is a big no.

However, I do place to watch The Father tomorrow night.

I'm having to use Airplay to mirror the website onto my TV. The speed is too slow, hence some stuttering, so I just upped my Claro subscription to a higher internet speed. I hope it works.

There's no problem whatsoever in watching it on my MacBook Air (m1) laptop.
Old 01-21-2022, 01:01 PM   #25
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
I'm having to use Airplay to mirror the website onto my TV. The speed is too slow, hence some stuttering, so I just upped my Claro subscription to a higher internet speed. I hope it works.

There's no problem whatsoever in watching it on my MacBook Air (m1) laptop.
Yeah, you can Chromecast it too, especially easy with a Chrome-centric dongle.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 12:35 AM   #26
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
The Lifetime Regular version of the regular Plotter is (I think) $99.00

The Lifetime Pro version is (for a short time; this is the second offering) is $117.00

One difference is that you don't have to be on the internet to use the Pro version. The internet is required, of course, for syncing.
So Lifetime Regular is only lifetime until the company goes out of business?
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 02:57 AM   #27
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
So Lifetime Regular is only lifetime until the company goes out of business?
Aren't they all? My first question when I read about lifetime guarantees is: whose?
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 04:13 AM   #28
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
If it doesn't phone home, at least you can keep a few copies of the installer on a backup drive. But if it does, you're screwed when the company eventually shuts down.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote