Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-24-2018, 10:38 AM   #1
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
End of iTunes for Windows XP and Vista

Well, it was just a matter of time. I received an email from Apple yesterday (2/23) titled: "iTunes Store Security Changes".
This LINK was provided, and the content is below.

===========================================

About iTunes Store availability

On May 25, 2018, Apple will introduce security changes that prevent Windows XP or Vista PCs and Apple TV (1st generation) from using the iTunes Store.

Windows XP or Vista PCs

Starting May 25, Apple will introduce security changes that prevent older Windows PCs from using the iTunes Store. If you have Windows XP or Vista PC, your computer is no longer supported by Microsoft, and you're not able to use the latest version of iTunes.

You can continue to use previous versions of iTunes on your Windows PC without support from Apple. However, you won't be able to make new purchases from the iTunes Store or redownload previous purchases on that computer.

After May 25, you'll need to use Windows 7 or later with the latest version of iTunes to make purchases from the iTunes Store and redownload previous purchases.

The latest version of iTunes is available for PCs running Windows 7 or later. Download the latest version at apple.com/itunes.

Apple TV (1st generation)

Also beginning May 25, security changes will prevent Apple TV (1st generation) from using the iTunes Store. This device is an obsolete Apple product and will not be updated to support these security changes.

After the changes, you'll only be able to access the iTunes Store on Apple TV (2nd generation) or later.

Learn more about the latest Apple TV at apple.com/tv.

===========================================

KEY POINT: Have a backup copy of ALL iTunes purchases !! You will NOT be able to make NEW purchases or re-download OLD purchases with an XP or Vista computer (or Apple TV).
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:34 PM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Will this also cause incompatibility problems in the future, i.e. new apple hardware (i.e. iPhone) that requires the latest iTunes version?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 04:04 PM   #3
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Hi John,

I definitely think that new Apple hardware will require versions of iTunes that will not run on older Windows or even Mac computers.

Older Apple hardware, like my 1st Gen iPad Mini, already have problems. I can't upgrade iOS beyond 9.3.5. Every week, there are new apps that require at least iOS 10.x or 11.x to run. App developers don't have a financial incentive to supply apps for dinosaur hardware.

It's not just Microsoft versus Apple. Other big software companies are also dropping Vista support. I received an email from Turbo Tax ... 2017 is the last year for Vista support. As a side note: many years ago I received an email from Turbo Tax saying that support for floppy discs was stopping!

Yep, you can't stop progress, and I don't want to, but it sure can get expensive! Between us, my wife and I have PC's with Vista, Win-8 and Win-10; and numerous iDevices.
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:22 AM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I can appreciate the custom interface approach, but I also appreciate when a company provides a simple mass storage device approach.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote