Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-15-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
SchalaZeal
SchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Thumbs up Device features (videos)

Hi hi! Thought I'd post some vids I found (they aren't my own recordings) on the PRS-650.

This one is a somewhat sales-y walkthrough (as opposed to an unbiased review) (the OP is a Sony rep of some sort), but is nonetheless fairly informative and shows the new device in action.

Here's a stop-motion unboxing from the same user:

This same user also has a similar unboxing and walkthrough for the 350 model.

This one gives a quick demo on PDF viewing. Note that it's for a formatted PDF.

Cheers!
Schala

Last edited by SchalaZeal; 09-15-2010 at 10:33 AM. Reason: fix code
SchalaZeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
SchalaZeal
SchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Blast. I can't seem to see the vids. What am I doing wrong?

edit: n/m. figured it out. eventually. d'oh! ^_^

Last edited by SchalaZeal; 09-15-2010 at 10:35 AM.
SchalaZeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:32 AM   #3
ebooker
Banned
ebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: sony prs-650!
translation dictionaries is a fantastic idea. Great for language learners. Does anyone know if the same dictionaries are avail for the prs 600?

Last edited by ebooker; 09-16-2010 at 03:10 AM.
ebooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:09 AM   #4
yts06mgr
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebooker View Post
translation dictionaries is a fantastic idea. Great for language learners. Does anyone know if the same dictionaries are avail for the prs 600?
I think those translation dictionaries are only licensed for PRS-350/650/950, so it won't be available for previous models. Those dictionaries could worth over $100 if anyone has to purchase them separately.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
ebooker
Banned
ebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by yts06mgr View Post
I think those translation dictionaries are only licensed for PRS-350/650/950, so it won't be available for previous models. Those dictionaries could worth over $100 if anyone has to purchase them separately.
hmmm. prs-600 is selling for about $150 on ebay. New prs-650 is $230. $70 difference. I guess i have to decide whether to try to buy a dictionary or two separately, or just bite the bullet and upgrade.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:19 PM   #6
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
I just wish (hope) that Sony would make additional language dictionaries available through their store. I would happily pay for them.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:32 PM   #7
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
Yeah, this was the nice thing about Mobipocket. You could buy or find new dictionaries, there are even a few available here on MobileRead. I have not heard of this being available for any epub reader other than Pocketbook or a hacked Sony reader.

Etienne66
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:58 PM   #8
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
hmmm. prs-600 is selling for about $150 on ebay. New prs-650 is $230. $70 difference. I guess i have to decide whether to try to buy a dictionary or two separately, or just bite the bullet and upgrade.

Borders is dumping the 600 for $129 - but only in-store.
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:55 PM   #9
ebooker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheinz View Post
Borders is dumping the 600 for $129 - but only in-store.
wow, that blows. (for us trying to sell the prs600 anyway).
Old 09-16-2010, 04:13 PM   #10
lacymarie7575
reading about reading ;->
lacymarie7575 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, BB
how is the glare on the 650?????
lacymarie7575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:15 PM   #11
ebooker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacymarie7575 View Post
how is the glare on the 650?????
supposed to be less than on the 600. Also supposed to have better contrast, better touch sensitivity, faster page turns, possibly lighter weight?, and 10 bilingual dictionaries.

i'll probably upgrade to the 650 before end of year. Tho the sony site is 'backordered' on them anyway, right now.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:01 AM   #12
lacymarie7575
reading about reading ;->
lacymarie7575 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, BB
I am also gonna be upgrading from the 600 to the 650 (maybe 950..dunno yet) but i am not gonna upgrade unless the screen glare is much better. I am fortunate enough to live near a sont style store...so i shouldnt have to wait for a reader...i just have to wait on income tax season!! lol
lacymarie7575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:18 AM   #13
ebooker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacymarie7575 View Post
I am also gonna be upgrading from the 600 to the 650 (maybe 950..dunno yet) but i am not gonna upgrade unless the screen glare is much better. I am fortunate enough to live near a sont style store...so i shouldnt have to wait for a reader...i just have to wait on income tax season!! lol
I should probably wait for some holiday season coupons and sales...

I think the 950 would be perfect for newspapers or periodicals. Since I dont read too many of those on the ereader I guess I'll stick with 650. Am even considering the 550 but I like the sd card slots.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:35 PM   #14
switchman2210
Enthusiast
switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Black PRS-650 with lighted cover & Kindle DX.
Quote:
I should probably wait for some holiday season coupons and sales...
I would not expect any sales on the 650 until early next year. With multiple country launches of the devices this year, I full expect demand to exceed supply.
switchman2210 is offline   Reply With Quote