Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-20-2016, 08:07 AM   #136
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiris View Post
What about marking the file as EBOK during converting with fake ASIN?
That causes other internal errors on the kindle which is why I have the plugin emit PDOC instead.

It may be the best solution in the end, but I need to do further testing.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:37 PM   #137
HowlerX
Enthusiast
HowlerX began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
That causes other internal errors on the kindle which is why I have the plugin emit PDOC instead.

It may be the best solution in the end, but I need to do further testing.
Ugh! Why does Amazon have to go around fudging things up.
Here's hoping you can figure something out.
HowlerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:21 PM   #138
EltaninPub
Nameless Being

Perhaps this is what's going wrong for me. A week or two ago, if I downloaded a personal doc book from Amazon to my Voyage, then in Calibre, copied it to the library, deleted it from the device, changed the metadata (including the cover) and sent it back to the device, the cover would show up (as well as any changed metadata) and syncing with other devices (so highlights, etc. show up) worked. I tried it with another book today and it doesn't work. It's an AZW3 file (the file that Amazon sent to my kindle, which I copied to my library then sent back to the kindle) and sending it to the kindle from Calibre doesn't show the cover. Any fixes? I liked having notes and highlights sync, but also like having the covers.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:43 PM   #139
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by EltaninPub View Post
I tried it with another book today and it doesn't work. It's an AZW3 file (the file that Amazon sent to my kindle, which I copied to my library then sent back to the kindle) and sending it to the kindle from Calibre doesn't show the cover. Any fixes?
Here are some possible workarounds:

Convert your books to CDETYPE=EBOK before sideloading. This will allow covers to be used. The downside is loss of syncing between devices.

Go back to older firmware on your Kindle (prior to version 5.8.5) and then block it from receiving future firmware updates. There are instructions for doing this as part of jail breaking in the Kindle Developer's Corner forum. Downsides are the potential to screw up your device and missing out on new features and bug fixes.

Send your books to Amazon in the old MOBI format, instead of the newer MOBI+KF8 format. This should restore covers. The downsize is missing out on the richer book formatting available in KF8 (AZW3) format.

Perhaps someone else has a better solution.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:35 AM   #140
Gray_Seagull
Gray_Seagull began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
about changing the PDOC tag to EBOK

Quote:
What about marking the file as EBOK during converting with fake ASIN?

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk
Hey,quires.First,Forgive my poor English....

I found that when you download the document from amazon's personal document service,and then use something like mobi2mobi.exe change the PDOC tag to EBOK, ExtractCoverThumbs work again. Can you update the program to make it use mobi2mobi edit exthtype 501 before generate thumbnail?Is it possible?

PS: My kindle's firmware version is 5.8.7.0.1

Last edited by Gray_Seagull; 03-06-2017 at 05:38 AM.
Gray_Seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:28 AM   #141
ldmobi
Enthusiast
ldmobi began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Yes, the program reads files only from the main documents directory.
Is there anything I could do to make the program read files inside folders?

I keep books organised by author and to extract covers I need to move books out in the document folder, extract and then put them back in the Author folder...
ldmobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:51 AM   #142
KindleAZWorKFX
Connoisseur
KindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition and Samsung 10.1 tablet
ok, so I fixed my subfolder problem by configure the Calibre device icon, option where you can configure this device "Configure amazon device" box and unclick Use Sub Directory's option, that should fix it so now all files are put into the document folder and not sub folders, I don't no fix that will fix the hard rebooting problem that just started with the newest firmware, I just notice that when I went to use my kindle paperwhite 2 tonight it was in the process of rebooting the device, not sure if I left it in an eBook or if something in the newest firmware is causing the Kindle paperwhite gen 6 hardware to reboot itself, so again I don't no why it was starting up when I pick up the device and open the e-readers case tonight was in the process of rebooting the kindle on its own when I had grab it from my computer desk, in any case if it stores all the KFX output plugin formated files inside the main folder, from calibre it should be no problem for it to generate thumbnails with ExtractCoverThumbs_1.0.0-py now, of course that doesn't fix the hardware problem that just started yesterday when I updated its firmware.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...v2_5.9.6.1.bin

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201307450

Just wondering is it better to use calibre and change the compress images loseless to enable lossy compression of JPEG images to make say an 80MB or 50MB sized epub ebook before converting them to azw3 or kfx format for your kindle paperwhite 2 device to keep it from hard rebooting on free ebook etc or, use kindlegen and enable -gif format to change the jpeg and use say something like kindlegen -c2 -gif %1 settings for a bat executable command line option for changing jpeg into -gif format, is that smaller or better option when viewing the images on your paperwhite device, making this a bit shorter for that user etc.. that reply back , anyway I am not sure how much quality to lose when resizing jpeg images, since it seems when using a setting like 40 under enable lossy compression of jpeg images that it creates spots in the images, but at the same time it does make the total ebook size smaller, which may be ok for an paperwhite 2 device, but not my android 10.1 tablet you may notice more image artifacts under that hardware, I guess I could keep two copy's of the same ebook with different settings for both devices, just wondering if you use the jpeg settings or think that using kindlegen with -c2 and -gif and then use say the plugin Kindleunpack afterwards etc.. to make it better since it splits the mobi and azw3 files apart but of course it seems that their new kfx format is bigger than just using the older formats when using the kfx format, its both an mobi and azw3 total inside the file I think, if you understand that Kindleunpack cannot split the kfx format file, which is what amazon is using in their new mobi format (kfx format I think since kindle preview 3 outputs the converted files as mobi format with kfx in them if I understand the app itself right.

Last edited by KindleAZWorKFX; 07-10-2018 at 03:30 AM. Reason: Updated question about hard reboots with new firmware problem on oversized ebooks.
KindleAZWorKFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:33 PM   #143
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Perhaps entirely unrelated, but sometimes when I convert an epub to "mobi" format, and load the mobi onto my /BOOKS folder of my Fire tablet, it doesn't show up as a book at all, but in the DOCS folder instead.

Less unexpected, the same thing happened just now when a publishing house sent me a "mobi" review copy.

So I never see the cover unless I open the book and page back.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote