Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-27-2020, 01:51 AM   #1
Audra
Enthusiast
Audra began at the beginning.

Device: Color Nook
Recognizing old Libraries

I was having a problem in Calibre. I had version 5.3. Looking up the question online, I found the suggestion that I needed to uninstall 5.3 and install the 4.23
version.

Not only did that not solve the problem, but after I installed the old version, I could not get it to see the libraries (and their books) that I had already. The files are still there on my computer.

How to I get Calibre to recognize them?

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Audra
Audra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 03:19 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Right click the Library Icon: Create/Switch: USE EXISTING: <point to the Library folder>
Repeat for each Library

For Calibre to have forgotten this much, you had to have done more than a Normal uninstall. That does not remove the User Configurations (where the linkage to known libraries and other Calibre settings is kept)
Calibre configurations are PER (PC logon) USER
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2020, 05:59 PM   #3
Audra
Enthusiast

Thank you. I used Revo Uninstaller. After I hit Create/Switch "Use Existing" is not a choice. I can only switch to "Calibre Library" which I am already in. All my libraries are in a folder called "Calibre". I tried copying them to "Calibre Library" but that did not help.

Audra
Old 11-27-2020, 06:33 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
WTF? You used an uninstaller that will most likely uninstall things you want to keep? Just no!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:37 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audra View Post
Thank you. I used Revo Uninstaller. After I hit Create/Switch "Use Existing" is not a choice. I can only switch to "Calibre Library" which I am already in. All my libraries are in a folder called "Calibre". I tried copying them to "Calibre Library" but that did not help.

Audra
You clicked on the library icon and got the Switch/Create Library item and then browsed to the location of the old library using the folder icon at the end of the address line? See the attached images.

Is there a metadata.db file located in the old library directories?

And yes, Revo Uninstaller can be a bleeping disaster since it wants to uninstall everything associated with the install such as the data files.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	create-switch.png
Views:	59
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	183630   Click image for larger version

Name:	lib_loc.png
Views:	62
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	183631  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2020, 06:41 PM   #6
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
WTF? You used an uninstaller that will most likely uninstall things you want to keep? Just no!
I use Geek Uninstaller to remove leftover files after uninstallation, but it (and Revo, from what I remember) had an option to uncheck anything you didn't want deleted.

I still use the standard Calibre uninstaller to prevent misclicks.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 12:41 AM   #7
Audra
Enthusiast

I realize NOW that I should never use Revo to uninstall Calibre. But it is too late. I already did. There are three metadata.db files. They are:
metadata.db (11/27), metadata.db_prefs_backup.json, and oldmetadata.db (11/26). I renamed one of the files to oldmetadata so I would not lose anything.

Please, what should I do now?

THank you so much.
Audra
Old 11-28-2020, 12:47 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I realize NOW that I should never use Revo to uninstall Calibre. But it is too late. I already did. There are three metadata.db files. They are:
metadata.db (11/27), metadata.db_prefs_backup.json, and oldmetadata.db (11/26). I renamed one of the files to oldmetadata so I would not lose anything.

THank you so much.
Audra
Do what theducks and DNSB said to do in posts #2 and #5 respectively

FWIW: I haven't used Revo or another uninstaller since I tossed Windows XP over the side

BR.

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-28-2020 at 12:49 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 11:13 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

THank you so much.
Audra
The first 2 are normal Calibre (the second is just what it says: Prefs_backup)
?? the 3rd. it may be a leftover from a recovery attempt

#1 is what we said to look for.
Where that was found is the is where you 'switch to' folder.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:44 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also note that if the metadata.db file is missing from an old library, calibre will not recognize it as a library. It may be simpler to import the books from that directory and subdirectories.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:45 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Also note that if the metadata.db file is missing from an old library, calibre will not recognize it as a library. It may be simpler to import the books from that directory and subdirectories.
If the OTHER (prefs) is there. Use the RECOVER option.
Prefs has the structure and Library settings (custom cols). Each book has the CURRENT metadata details needed. You should end up with an almost perfect repair
Old 11-29-2020, 06:40 PM   #12
Audra
Enthusiast

Thank you!

Everyone, thank you very much for all of your replies and suggestions.
I have been trying, as best I can to work with each one.
I finally managed to be able to restore my libraries, one at a time.
I am incredibly grateful for your help.
Audra
Old 11-29-2020, 09:04 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Great to hear we've been of some help.