Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-14-2015, 05:34 PM   #1
high5thai
high5thai began at the beginning.

Device: DavidAcisAAJ
Screen protector Matte or Clear for Kindle Touch?

Hi, I have a Kindle Touch 7th generation (without built-in light). I wanna try on a screen protector, but I don't know if I buy a matte or a clear one.
I've read that the clear one might make the screen too glossy, reflective and disturbed the effect of the eink screen.
On the other way, I've had some bad experiences with matte screen protectors on my phone. The screen looked scratchy and, on the areas which I touch the most, it is really ugly, seems dirty. I also read that the matte screen protector makes the kindle screen seem cloudy, hampering the reading.

Although I've seen many people say that it's better to not use a screen protector at all, I'm buying a case for my Kindle which comes with a free screen protector, so I wanted to take the chance and try it on. If I don't like it, I'll take it off. But I have to choose which kind of screen protector I want to get for free.

Which one is the best?
high5thai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:20 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
No screen protector is needed. Those are only useful if you are using a hard stylus on a relatively soft screen. Otherwise, it is just an obscuring layer over the screen you are trying to read.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2015, 07:25 PM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Don't sound like a very good case IF they give out screen protectors. I be looking into better case.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:40 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Are you sure that is a case for the Touch?
That sounds like a Fire case.
Can you please link the case you are looking at?
There is a 7 inch Kindle Fire.
Did you just search for a Kindle 7 case?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 03:39 AM   #5
high5thai

I'm brazilian and there's a website of sellings here called "Mercado Livre" (it works more or less like ebay). The sellers usually import the cases and sell it on this website. It is easier for them to do that, coz they import a big amount and usually someone come from the USA with them so they don't get to pay taxes. If I try to import from ebay, for example, it's usually more expansive (and takes longer), cause I can get cought by the customs and my item can be taxed.

Anyway, it's very common in this website the sellers to offer a case, for e-readers, phones or tablets, and for free a screen protector or a stylus. I think in Brazil people are kinda obsessed on screen protectors, so that's why they offer it for free even when you're buying a Kindle e-reader case.
I don't know if the website is available for you to access from your country, but here's the link: http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/M...pi-e-onoff-_JM
Advert
Old 12-15-2015, 09:16 AM   #6
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I've been using Kindles since the Kindle 3 first became available. I've upgraded to nearly every new model and I've given or sold my old ones to friends and neighbors. Only once in all those years did I get a scratched screen when I lent one to a neighbor who had a dog. And it was a very minor scratch. I could have lived with it but I called Amazon and they replaced it even though I told them it wasn't a defect but a user error.

I have a Kindle in a case that I take with me and one I use at home that has no case. I've never scratched one. I'm reasonably careful with them but that's all. I've never used a screen protector.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:27 PM   #7
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I think they just offer the screen protector as a standard freebie, not realising that the screens on ereaders are not the same as tablets/phones (the image of the screen protector in your link clearly states its for the Paperwhite but says "protect your LCD screen from scratches"). They are totally unnecessary for eink ereaders and don't really do anything other than decrease the clarity of the screen.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:32 PM   #8
high5thai

Thanks everyone for the help. I've decided to buy another case, which does not come with a free screen protector, as you told me that wasn't necessary! Hopefuly I'll get to preserve my kindle screen for many years too! Thanks
Old 12-15-2015, 02:02 PM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
When I bought my galaxy case, it came with screen protector, stylus, USB cord, wall plug and earbuds and a car charger.
I went through Amazon.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch, screen protector