Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-08-2017, 10:50 AM   #16
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
What Katsunami said I've seen too, in Hungary.

My mother lives there and prices there generally are cheaper for fysical products. Or more expensive. If the latter, it's generally the b-quality (often containing more flaws as if Q&A was done more sloppy) and won't last as long as exactly the same machine bought in the Netherlands. Unless you pay premium (and then it's generally more expensive), then it's the same quality. My mother prefers to buy her electronic devices here (in the Netherlands) as the quality is simply better and it's cheaper in the long run.
In my case, there wasn't a quality difference. A Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM lens cost around €1800 in the Netherlands (at the time... now it almost costs €2100 ), while it was around €750-800 in the Blaltic and Balkan area's. You're not going to convince me that the Netherlands adds a €1000 on taxes and imports for a Japanese item.

(I can still find some of those lenses around €1000 second hand, or even less, but they are *very* used, with chipped paint, dents, scratches, third-party replacements for missing parts such as the tripod collar; some even have scratches on the glass.)
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:13 PM   #17
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
You're not going to convince me that the Netherlands adds a €1000 on taxes and imports for a Japanese item.
Probably not all taxes, etc. and there is probably some of the price that is higher simply because the company knows they can get more, but what about warranty protections that might be required by the government if any that might not be given to customers in the other market (those costs are going to be passed on at least somewhat to the market that requires them)? Some of it might also be retailers charging full retail vs a discounted price as well (at least that's how it is here. a lens price can differ by hundreds depending on the seller)

We have grey market stuff here in the US (lenses, bodies and other items) that are brought in from other markets and can be a lot cheaper, but basically come as-is with little to no warranty protection. Some people are fine with this and will buy that way while others are willing to pay extra for a full US warranty or are fine getting lenses that way, but not a camera body.

Note: Not saying these are for sure factors, just throwing them out as some possibilities for some of the higher pricing.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 05-08-2017 at 08:17 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:52 AM   #18
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
It seems european ebook retailers don't want the end of geoblocking:

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...oksellers.html

Amusingly, they are thrilled at the meaningless news about Amazon's MFN clauses but resist the change that could boost their sales.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:26 AM   #19
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
It seems european ebook retailers don't want the end of geoblocking:

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...oksellers.html

Amusingly, they are thrilled at the meaningless news about Amazon's MFN clauses but resist the change that could boost their sales.
Europe is a disaster area for ebooks. Publishers make policy at the expense of the consumer. I must admit that it is unclear to me just how the geo-blocking ban is going to integrate with existing laws. The suggestion seems to be that sellers in a country with fewer restrictions will be expected to apply the law of the country they are selling to. Hypothetically, this means potentially things like paying VAT at a higher rate and having to sell the books for a higher price to buyers from countries where discounting is not allowed. If this is in fact the case then the ban on geo-blocking may have little practical significance apart from improving availability.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:34 AM   #20
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Europe is a disaster area for ebooks. Publishers make policy at the expense of the consumer. I must admit that it is unclear to me just how the geo-blocking ban is going to integrate with existing laws. The suggestion seems to be that sellers in a country with fewer restrictions will be expected to apply the law of the country they are selling to. Hypothetically, this means potentially things like paying VAT at a higher rate and having to sell the books for a higher price to buyers from countries where discounting is not allowed. If this is in fact the case then the ban on geo-blocking may have little practical significance apart from improving availability.
If that.
With ebook sales in many parts of the continent running around 1% *including* the global players, many of the smaller players may indeed just fold their tents.

Gotta love the law of unintended consequences.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:16 AM   #21
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Probably not all taxes, etc. and there is probably some of the price that is higher simply because the company knows they can get more, but what about warranty protections that might be required by the government if any that might not be given to customers in the other market (those costs are going to be passed on at least somewhat to the market that requires them)? Some of it might also be retailers charging full retail vs a discounted price as well (at least that's how it is here. a lens price can differ by hundreds depending on the seller)

We have grey market stuff here in the US (lenses, bodies and other items) that are brought in from other markets and can be a lot cheaper, but basically come as-is with little to no warranty protection. Some people are fine with this and will buy that way while others are willing to pay extra for a full US warranty or are fine getting lenses that way, but not a camera body.

Note: Not saying these are for sure factors, just throwing them out as some possibilities for some of the higher pricing.
In Europe, *manufacturers* aren't even obliged to provide warranty. It's the *seller* that has to offer at least a two year warranty. However, most manufacturers include at least a one year warranty of their own (and thus, sellers try to get away with offering one year as well, because otherwise they'd be at risk themselves for the second year).

Granted, there will be some difference here or there. I could live with, and can understand a €200 price difference because of laws and taxes and such, but €1000? Not in your life. IMHO, that's just the manufacturer trying to get as much money as possible.

===

With regard to geoblocking, I said what I said before. If I go looking for a book, and I can't buy it because a publisher/seller thinks I live in the 'wrong country', then I'll find it ... somewhere else.

Even with blu-ray discs it can be a good deal to get them out of the Netherlands (although this has nothing to do with geoblocking). As Game of Thrones is now entering its last season, I've decided to start watching it. New, a season costs €45 in the Netherlands. The cheapest second hand option I was able to find at the moment I purchased S1, was €30. In the Amazon.co.uk market place, I procured it for €10 (8.50 pounds); including shipping.

Last edited by Katsunami; 05-10-2017 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:38 AM   #22
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Even with blu-ray discs it can be a good deal to get them out of the Netherlands (although this has nothing to do with geoblocking). As Game of Thrones is now entering its last season, I've decided to start watching it. New, a season costs €45 in the Netherlands. The cheapest second hand option I was able to find at the moment I purchased S1, was €30. In the Amazon.co.uk market place, I procured it for €10 (8.50 pounds); including shipping.
Just for the record the upcoming season of GOT is the next to last season, not the last.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:29 PM   #23
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Europe is a disaster area for ebooks.
{. . .}

The suggestion seems to be that sellers in a country with fewer restrictions will be expected to apply the law of the country they are selling to. Hypothetically, this means potentially things like paying VAT at a higher rate and having to sell the books for a higher price to buyers from countries where discounting is not allowed.
Ahem, cross-border sales already occur where licensing allows. VAT on ebooks has to be charged at the customer's local rate. 'discounting not allowed' may be in-country only.

http://dianeduane.com/outofambit/201...-cyber-monday/
http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/lea...stop-shop.html
http://onemanbandaccounting.co.uk/eu-vat-changes-2015/
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 04:07 PM   #24
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlind View Post
Just for the record the upcoming season of GOT is the next to last season, not the last.
You sure? I can see up to and including season 7 (on Wikipedia), which seems to have 7 episodes instead of 10.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:17 PM   #25
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
From Wikipedia (Game of Thrones):
Quote:
The series was renewed for a seventh season,[1] which is scheduled to premiere on July 16, 2017,[2] and will conclude with its eighth season in 2018.[3]
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 04:23 PM   #26
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
And the possible spin-off(s)...
http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/game...bo-1202409434/
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote