Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-25-2017, 06:29 AM   #1
Klaas Vaak
Klaas Vaak began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Modified date

I am using Calibre 3.1.1

Under Preferences there is the option Add your own columns, and you can check the box for Modified. I would expect the latter to show the last date a particular ebook was opened. But that is not not the case. It shows a date later than the download date, but definitely not the date I am looking for.

Is there a way, possibly with a plug-in, to show the last opened date?
Klaas Vaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:58 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The modified date is the when the metadata was last changed in calibre.

If by "last opened", you mean when it was last opened to be read, then I'm pretty sure it isn't recorded. It should be possible to write a plugin that wraps calling the viewer or other reader and records the date but nothing exists that I know of.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2017, 08:56 AM   #3
Klaas Vaak

David, thanks for your quick response. I shall not write a plugin for lack of experience, but will try to remember to open/modify the metadata 1 last time when I finish with a book.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:04 PM   #4
uli
Zealot
uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo, Calibre
I'd suggest an extra column for date read. I have one that syncs with the goodreads plugin.
uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:47 PM   #5
Klaas Vaak

Uli, thanks for the suggestion. I added a custom column in the Preferences section, and of course the Lookup name is the challenge. I put the string "today" in there (without the quotation marks).

My thinking: if I open a book today, today's date will be recorded in that column on that book's line. If I don't open the book tomorrow, today's date will remain shown, effectively amounting to the "last date read", which is what I want.

If my thinking is wrong, please set me right.
Thanks a lot for your help.
Advert
Old 06-25-2017, 12:51 PM   #6
Klaas Vaak

Uli, further to my 1st reply to you, I just implemented (should have done that before, sorry), and find it does not show today's date, no date at all.

So I am at a loss. Please advise.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:22 PM   #7
uli
Zealot
uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

You still need to trigger it manually. Select book, Edit metadata, under custom metadata, I have a button set 'Read' to today. I don't do this personally, I do it in Goodreads when I finish a book, then gets sync'd to Calibre.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:36 PM   #8
Klaas Vaak

How do you install a button in the Metadata screen, and in what field?
Old 06-25-2017, 03:56 PM   #9
uli
Zealot

Noting special, just create a date column with heading "Read" and the button will match it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	date.png
Views:	74
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	157532  

Last edited by uli; 06-25-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:11 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaas Vaak View Post
How do you install a button in the Metadata screen, and in what field?
@Klaas Vaak - if you have your Date Read custom column in the book list, and you highlight the cell in a book line and press F2, it will get today's date, press Enter to accept that date, or edit it in place and press Enter.

Calibre usually has several ways to get the result you want. In this case via the metadata edit dialogue boxes, or within the book list. They are not mutually exclusive, you can choose to edit in the book list or via the dialogues as it suits you at a moment in time. The only column you can't edit in the book list itself the the built in Comments column.

In Custom columns the Lookup name is the name calibre uses internally, it is also used in Search Terms, Template etc where it must be prefixed with a '#'.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-25-2017 at 05:17 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:52 PM   #11
Klaas Vaak

Many thanks for your help. Your screenshot helped. When I edit metadata I clickon the icon, which says Edit metadata individually, so I wondered at 1st how you got to the screen with those tabs. The I worked out that in this case I should used Edit metadat in bulk. Cheers :-)
Old 06-25-2017, 11:55 PM   #12
Klaas Vaak

Hey BetterRed, thanks for jumping in & explaining in more detail the various possibilities. The easiest way to get the date inserted in that custom column is indeed with the F2, Enter method.
Once again, thank you.