Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: New New Home Screen (4.4.9298) or Old Home Screen?
New New Home Screen (4.4.9288) 63 45.99%
Old Home Screen 74 54.01%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-16-2017, 06:45 AM   #76
markyisri
Connoisseur
markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I believe Kobo could have introduced a new user guide in this firmware, since it's clearly installed by the restoration firmware used with a factory reset. I'm not sure why they did not choose to do this.
I think the restoration firmware IS a working version of the Kobo firmware. Thus, you could probably overwrite the user guide (and any part of it) with anything, if you had access to the SD card.

I am saying all this from the days of 3.4.1 and the Kobo Mini.

It is believed that the Aura One has an SD card, and about a month ago enukyp found that the Aura E2 definitely has one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enukyp View Post
Hi guys,

I just opened mu Kobo Aura Edition 2 and there is an SD card indeed!

picture: https://ibb.co/n75imQ

Now, the purpose of me opening it, was that my screen froze at Restarting after Update. The device seems bricked.

Can anyone of you can make an Image and share it please???

Opening is quite easy actually, just like the videos on YouTube for other models...
markyisri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:49 PM   #77
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by markyisri View Post
I think the restoration firmware IS a working version of the Kobo firmware. Thus, you could probably overwrite the user guide (and any part of it) with anything, if you had access to the SD card.
The recovery partition contains a bootable OS that is probably a cut-down version of that on the main partition. And it contains a copy of the factory install firmware. This is stored in basically the same way as the firmware upgrade packages.
Quote:
I am saying all this from the days of 3.4.1 and the Kobo Mini.

It is believed that the Aura One has an SD card, and about a month ago enukyp found that the Aura E2 definitely has one.
No, the Aura ONE does not have an internal SD card. There is plenty of discussion here about that.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2017, 07:04 AM   #78
markyisri
Connoisseur
markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
No, the Aura ONE does not have an internal SD card. There is plenty of discussion here about that.
Wait a minute, I thought the E2 and the one with OneDrive were rather similar except for a minute hardware difference.
markyisri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:42 AM   #79
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyisri View Post
Wait a minute, I thought the E2 and the one with OneDrive were rather similar except for a minute hardware difference.
The Aura ONE and the Aura Edition 2 were released at the same time. The style of the casing is the same, but I'm not sure how much else is the same. The size, front light, touch, resolution and type of internal storage are all different. The CPU and other chips are probably the same, but the same CPU has been used since the Glo or thereabouts.

But, the internal storage is definitely different. The Aura ONE has fixed internal memory. I assume this is because it is easier to waterproof.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:06 AM   #80
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
One thing I miss is ability to access the browser from the home screen.

Sent from my XT1528
Agreed. However...once I'm in the browser, and downloading a book or books from the Calibre server, the browser stays active. Before, I had to re-start the browser for the next book.

I did lose my collections after this last update was pushed to my Glo. Actually, they were still there, just hidden. Once I typed in the name of a missing collection, the books were still sorted correctly. Which would have been great if I remembered the exact name of each collection.

I don't pay that much attention to the home screen. I Sort my books on the fly to find what I'm looking for.

I wish there was a way on a Kobo to see only those books not in a collection. I can do it on a Kindle, but haven't found a way to do it on my Glo.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2017, 09:39 AM   #81
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I did lose my collections after this last update was pushed to my Glo. Actually, they were still there, just hidden. Once I typed in the name of a missing collection, the books were still sorted correctly. Which would have been great if I remembered the exact name of each collection.
You have me baffled. The first part of this suggests the collections list was empty. But, you can find them if you know the name. The search on the device doesn't search the collection names, so I don't know how you are doing this. Or are all you collections made based on the series name? This is searched and would make it look like the collection was being returned.

As to the collections disappearing, they shouldn't. There was a couple of versions earlier in the year that had a bug related that caused them to disappear after the first sync. This should only have affected upgrades from pre-4.x firmware and has been fixed.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:59 AM   #82
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You have me baffled. The first part of this suggests the collections list was empty. But, you can find them if you know the name. The search on the device doesn't search the collection names, so I don't know how you are doing this. Or are all you collections made based on the series name? This is searched and would make it look like the collection was being returned.

As to the collections disappearing, they shouldn't. There was a couple of versions earlier in the year that had a bug related that caused them to disappear after the first sync. This should only have affected upgrades from pre-4.x firmware and has been fixed.
No collections showed on the device after the update. So I decided to create them again. So I did, using the same names for the collections. After selecting New Collection, typing in the name "Anne Tyler" and hitting Next, the collection appeared with the books that I had previously placed in that collection.

So the books were still tagged, as long as I used the exact same names for the collections.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:05 AM   #83
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
No collections showed on the device after the update. So I decided to create them again. So I did, using the same names for the collections. After selecting New Collection, typing in the name "Anne Tyler" and hitting Next, the collection appeared with the books that I had previously placed in that collection.

So the books were still tagged, as long as I used the exact same names for the collections.
That sort of makes sense. If you are up to some fiddling with the database, you can probably recover the others.

But, my usual recommendation for collection maintenance is calibre. If you store you books there, you can have the collections automatically created whenever you connect the device.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:20 PM   #84
Deskisamess
Wizard

Quote:

But, my usual recommendation for collection maintenance is calibre. If you store you books there, you can have the collections automatically created whenever you connect the device.
I've never messed with the collection feature of Calibre. I need to. I get easily overwhelmed with Calibre, but have figured out converting books, and using the Content Server.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:18 PM   #85
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I received a survey today asking me what I think of the new home screen. I like that they are wanting feedback.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:36 AM   #86
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I received a survey today asking me what I think of the new home screen. I like that they are wanting feedback.
URL in case others can use it to take the survey?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:30 PM   #87
Amiieey
Connoisseur
Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Likebook Mars, Kindle Fire HD 8
I like the new homescreen and the PIN feature. I sure as hell don't want people I know grabbing my e-reader without permission and seeing what I read on there.
Amiieey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:37 AM   #88
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiieey View Post
I like the new homescreen and the PIN feature. I sure as hell don't want people I know grabbing my e-reader without permission and seeing what I read on there.
Won't they see the one you're currently reading anyway?
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:20 PM   #89
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
Won't they see the one you're currently reading anyway?
not if the device is turned off.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:41 PM   #90
Amiieey
Connoisseur
Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Likebook Mars, Kindle Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
not if the device is turned off.

best wishes koboy
And if you disable the option to have the book cover as the screensaver
Amiieey is offline   Reply With Quote