Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: New New Home Screen (4.4.9298) or Old Home Screen?
New New Home Screen (4.4.9288) 63 45.99%
Old Home Screen 74 54.01%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-17-2017, 02:55 AM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
New New Home Screen (4.4.9298) vs. Old Home Screen

Which home screen do you prefer? Do you prefer the New New Home screen introduced in firmware 4.4.9298 or do you prefer the old home screen (aka the one with the 3.19.x firmware).

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-17-2017 at 07:05 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:14 AM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Which home screen do you prefer? Do you prefer the New New Home screen introduced in firmware 4.4.9298 or do you prefer the old home screen?
Which "old home screen"?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2017, 07:02 AM   #3
Insomniac55
Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Insomniac55 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo H2O
I don't hate the new home screen, and it did bring some welcome changes (such as the new menu that lets you navigate anywhere from anywhere, without going to the home screen first).

However, I think it needs something to seperate the different regions of the page; either lines between or borders around each item. At the moment it really lacks structure, for want of a better word.

I'm also really not a huge fan of the suggested book feature. It's wildly inaccurate for me (It's suggesting 50 Shades Darker when all I've been reading is cold-war spy novels and A Song of Ice and Fire). I also sideload almost all of my books, so I wish I could hide the Kobo store away. I'd much prefer if it was just a link in the navigation menu.
Insomniac55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:05 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Which "old home screen"?
The one that was in the 3.19.x firmware and later until Ko o decided to change things towards the 4.4.9298 home screen.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:46 AM   #5
TimeEffect
Connoisseur
TimeEffect began at the beginning.

Device: Glo
Glo HD still havent got the new home screen.

What's different in the New, New Homescreen exactly?
TimeEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2017, 12:26 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeEffect View Post
Glo HD still havent got the new home screen.
Even with the 4.4.9288 firmware?

Quote:
What's different in the New, New Homescreen exactly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Well, now you can dismiss books, and the reccomendations tile is gone. I would say this is a big change.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:25 PM   #7
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
- "the recommendations tile is gone"

Not necessarily. Depends how many, or should I say how few books you have on your device.

When I updated my original Aura, I was getting recommendations for reading that I didn't want in the middle right section of the home screen where it usually shows a selected author or a selected collection.

I had very few books on my Aura at the time and they were all sideloaded and on an SD card. I suspect that, because of that, the new firmware was just trying to fill an "empty" spot with something.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:54 PM   #8
Telemachus
Connoisseur
Telemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: none
On my Touch the display of the icons (top right hand corner of home screen) moved position a few pixels to the left on starting up, leaving a ghost image on the screen.
Anyone else have this bug?
Telemachus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:34 PM   #9
markyisri
Connoisseur
markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Can anyone post a screenshot of this "New New Home Screen"?
markyisri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:36 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyisri View Post
Can anyone post a screenshot of this "New New Home Screen"?
If nobody else has, then I will once I install the new firmware (4.4.9344) after the patches are released.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-17-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:47 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If nobody else has, then I will later today after I install the new firmware.
And don't forget to post a new poll. (Yes, I think this one was a waste of time.)
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:11 AM   #12
Nick Payne
Connoisseur
Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Libra H2O
Three things that I dislike about the new home screen:
  1. I can't dismiss the stuff at the bottom of the screen that I have zero interest in (Find your next great read, etc).
  2. I can no longer see on the home screen whether books I am reading have any annotations or not.
  3. When I finish a book, it now immediately disappears from the home screen.
Nick Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:11 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Payne View Post
  1. I can no longer see on the home screen whether books I am reading have any annotations or not.
One advantage of how this is done is that a long press displays the book menu just like in the book list. That will have annotations as an item if the book has annotations.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:19 PM   #14
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I want to eat my cake. I love the new top bar. That interface is much improved. I think the old dynamic tiles were better though. But really, the only thing the new screen is missing is something useful to do with the bottom right zone.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 04:18 PM   #15
imkh
Enthusiast
imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
... But really, the only thing the new screen is missing is something useful to do with the bottom right zone.
Hey, I got the Reading Stats there once! Mostly its all the store stuff and I don't even have my wifi on!

Wish it would come back and stay.
imkh is offline   Reply With Quote