Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-06-2005, 08:51 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
SyncroSign's Messenger gets wireless e-paper

Today Gyricon LLC, a spin-off of Xerox's Palo Alto Research Center, announced the SyncroSign Messenger, a 9.4x12.3 device that displays signs (such as fonts, logos and b&w art) transmitted over a wireless (802.11b) or wired network. Perhaps what is more interesting to us, the Messenger incorporates SmartPaper, Gyricon's own electronic paper technology. Like E-Ink and all of its variants, SmartPaper is a bistable monochromatic display that requires power only when the display changes its content.

Gyricon sells the Messenger as a "dynamic information display" potentially used in corporate, educational, hospitality and government facilities to display electronic signs (such as daily agendas, seminar schedules, etc.) throughout a large venue via a wireless or wired network.

Gyricon's SmartPaper consists of a sheet of flexible, polymeric material that includes millions of tiny embedded beads. Black on one side and white on the other, each bead sits in its own cavity, surrounded by silicone oil that allows free rotation. Because the beads are electronically charged - the black side is positively charged, the white side negatively - the beads turn under the influence of an electric field. Thus, one side always faces forward. To make a sign, Gyricon laminates the sheet to a backplane, which can generate electric field patterns causing a programmed message to display on the sheet. Because the beads are only 90 microns in size - half the diameter of a human hair - a person viewing the sign sees only the aggregate effect of many beads of white or black, rather than each individual bead.

I could be wrong but SmartPaper sounds very much like E-Ink!

[Official announcement]
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 11:10 AM   #2
Mattoquai
Enthusiast
Mattoquai began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry 8700c / Nokia N70 / Iliad
If it costs about $650.00 USD (see press release), then you could better not leave it unattended on top off your reception desk

By the way, the technology used by Gyricon is the 'oldest' e-paper technology I believe (correct me if I'm wrong). Researcher Nick Sheridon came up with it in the early 70's.
Mattoquai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 11:25 AM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattoquai
If it costs about $650.00 USD (see press release), then you could better not leave it unattended on top off your reception desk
Completely agree with you
Quote:
By the way, the technology used by Gyricon is the 'oldest' e-paper technology I believe (correct me if I'm wrong). Researcher Nick Sheridon came up with it in the early 70's.
Wow... and still we are waiting for more e-paper products to emerge. What is taking them so long?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 05:31 PM   #4
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
The technology sounds like the game Othello to me...
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote