Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
jamina1
Connoisseur
jamina1 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket eDGe
Emailing Attachments from the PE

I don't know if this has something to do with my device or with my gmail account, but I attempted to email myself an APK file from my device. I do this all the time on my gmail account to get something TO the device, but I had never emailed anything from the device.

Anyway, you can do it from Titanium backup by long pressing on a backup and choosing "send this backup" or even if I have a file open in the library you can choose "share" and it will automatically attach it to a gmail message and let you send it.

The problem is, that I receive the mail with NO attachments.

Anyone else having this issue?

I just double checked, and I am able to send .apk files TO the device from a computer using Gmail, but I am unable to attach an .apk FROM the device using the Gmail app. That seems very strange.

Last edited by jamina1; 09-29-2011 at 03:11 PM.
jamina1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:32 PM   #2
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Menu->Help->Attachments
You can attach images from Gallery and documents on some devices.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
My experience of trying to send anything to a Gmail account with attachments that are an executable file, is that they are rejected even if they are in a zip file. I don't know if having a Gmail a/c gets round this or not.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
jamina1
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter View Post
Menu->Help->Attachments
You can attach images from Gallery and documents on some devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
My experience of trying to send anything to a Gmail account with attachments that are an executable file, is that they are rejected even if they are in a zip file. I don't know if having a Gmail a/c gets round this or not.
You both failed to read what I said. If I have a file, both on my edge and on my computer, and I use gmail to email it to myself as an attachment, the email from the edge will appear without attachments, and the one from my computer will work fine. So its not gmail, its the device.
PDFs work fine but an apk from the device is always stripped.
Anyone else having this issue?
Old 09-29-2011, 07:51 PM   #5
mjc1
mjc1 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
I don't have this problem, but for some reason I can't install Gmail on my PE. How did you do that?
mjc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 09:08 PM   #6
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Apparently it's you failing - to read the answer before you hit keyboard.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:55 AM   #7
jamina1
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc1 View Post
I don't have this problem, but for some reason I can't install Gmail on my PE. How did you do that?
I restored it from my Samsung Captivate using Titanium Backup. You can also install them from several google apps packages. I used this one from Cyanogen Mod as well but if you have the google talk authentication error, it won't work.

Emusan's post has titanium backups of all the google apps and might work for you.
Here's an additional post with info on google apps
Old 10-01-2011, 03:43 AM   #8
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Is it possible that Ivan's answer is correct, and for some reason gmail lets things through into Android that it blocks coming into your computer? Have you tried using the K9 or Froyo email apps instead? I'm pretty sure sending apks will work through those email programs.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:19 AM   #9
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
I seem to remember having this problem also. I instead went to Gmail via the browser, and was able to get the attachment there and install.
glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #10
jamina1
Connoisseur

Filark, I uninstalled both those Mail Programs because they were taking up space and I don't plan on using them, so I do not know.