Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 08-01-2018, 12:44 PM   #91
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Not so much Polish as Ukrainian. The pierogi comes in from the plains, Saskatoon and especially Manitoba, where there are large immigrant populations. The kielbasa could be almost any sausage (or often in hard times none), but my roots in Detroit make kielbasa a basic soul food. I make my own, and it's seriously good, if I do say so myself.
Ukrainian? That stuff is Polish.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:52 PM   #92
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Pierogi are broader than just Polish, though that's how I first saw them, since Detroit has a huge Polish population. So, to quote from TastingPoland.com:
Quote:
Ruskie pierogi come from the prewar Poland's region called Red Ruthenia. Today it lies within the borders of Ukraine. Interestingly enough, while Poles use the name 'ruthenian pierogi', on the eastern side of the Polish border some Ukrainians call the same dish 'Polish pierogi'.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2018, 03:50 PM   #93
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I was thinking of "The Lighter Side" or "Lighten Up" as a tag. Dngrsone, what do you think?
My idea is just... what do we read to just lighten up. It doesn't necessarily have to be funny or anything, but it's probably light and fast, and just something you read because you just like (or love) this book.

Does that make any sense? Or did I just muddy things up further?

Alternatively, I could suggest Guilty Pleasures, books that you're kind of embarrassed to like reading.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:58 PM   #94
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
My idea is just... what do we read to just lighten up. It doesn't necessarily have to be funny or anything, but it's probably light and fast, and just something you read because you just like (or love) this book.

Does that make any sense? Or did I just muddy things up further?

Alternatively, I could suggest Guilty Pleasures, books that you're kind of embarrassed to like reading.
Oh, I like the sound of Guilty Pleasures! How about:

Oh, the Shame!: Guilty Pleasures

or

Guilty Pleasures: Mortifying Reads

or both could combine

Just for Fun: Guilty Pleasures

which might be best of all.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:34 PM   #95
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Yes, I like that last one: Just for Fun: Guilty Pleasures.

Into the Labyrinth is dangerous and puzzling - anything from the Minotaur of the original labyrinth to Kafka’s The Trial. Somehow putting an extra word or phrase seems to limit the phrase.

I’m happy with just the word prodigies for mine.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2018, 06:56 PM   #96
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I love the idea of Guilty Pleasures -- and I'll be nominating my favourite Georgette Heyer!
Old 08-01-2018, 07:05 PM   #97
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post

Into the Labyrinth is dangerous and puzzling - anything from the Minotaur of the original labyrinth to Kafka’s The Trial. Somehow putting an extra word or phrase seems to limit the phrase.
I agree that Amazing hit the wrong note. How about Into the Labyrinth: The Quest? It might be foolish consistency, but I do like our standard format. I think it's worked well for us. What does fantasy fan have to say?
Old 08-01-2018, 07:31 PM   #98
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I did appreciate the pun, but we have reduced the impact of amazing down to mild surprise!

I like The Quest. While we wait for fantasyfan, maybe another option could be Enigmas.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:08 PM   #99
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
If these are truly Guilty Pleasures, will you nominate your favorite title as something "a friend told me about?"
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:47 PM   #100
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just for Fun: Guilty Pleasures it is!

And for the record, I have read a few books I normally wouldn't have on recommendation by friends. Like, 80% of the New Leaf titles, for instance!
Old 08-04-2018, 12:50 PM   #101
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Lost in Translation: Other Tongues
I'm fine with this revised title. I know we are trying to be super open to interpretation, but I really am shooting for this to be a way for us to read something actually translated. I know I am a broken record, but we are very, very Anglo-centric and I thought this might help.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:05 PM   #102
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I'm fine with this revised title. I know we are trying to be super open to interpretation, but I really am shooting for this to be a way for us to read something actually translated. I know I am a broken record, but we are very, very Anglo-centric and I thought this might help.
There are some excellent Scandinavian mysteries, for example, that would be a bit of a change as well as fitting your desire for something translated.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:27 AM   #103
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
Oh yes, the Lost in translation is a good one! Off to see what of our authors is translated
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:47 AM   #104
Dngrsone
Almost legible

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I'm down with that; having read several Scandinavian translations, Russian, French (TTM just recently), Chinese, Japanese... even English (Her Majesty's English translated into 'Murican, because apparently we're that stoopid).
Old 08-07-2018, 07:05 AM   #105
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
That works for me. In that case, I will nominate Trade Secrets: Profitable books.

(Please suggest other tags for that, I'm not sold on this one.)
How about flipping it and then:

Let's Make a Deal: Trade Secrets