Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 06-25-2018, 12:14 PM   #31
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Very gracious, Bookpossum.

issybird, if you wanted to add a ":topic" to Out of This World, I was thinking something like...

Out of This World!: Unusual settings

What I had in mind was something in which the peculiarities of the setting is important to the story.
How about, Out of This World: Otherwhere ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Can we change the tag to "retellings" or "re-makes" instead of "do-over"? Do-over has a time-travel connotation to it that I wasn't intending, especially since we've just had a time travel themed month.
Good point. Sure.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:37 PM   #32
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I like retellings as a theme; it could be called Twice-Told Tales.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2018, 01:03 PM   #33
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Yes, I was going to nominate this one if Dazrin wants to nominate something else.
I don't have another option that I am favoring at this point so if you have something else feel free to post it, I won't withdraw this one for something else unless you want to have this one (with whatever title) listed under your name. I just didn't want this one to get missed since I liked it.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:13 PM   #34
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'll suggest another one: Business First -- Trader's Tales

Could include Marco Polo, all sorts of business theme how-to and help books, sea going clipper adventures, and there's a whole sub-genre of SF devoted to it, with authors such as Sharon Lee/Steve Miller and Nathan Lowell.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:41 PM   #35
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I'll suggest another one: Business First -- Trader's Tales

Could include Marco Polo, all sorts of business theme how-to and help books, sea going clipper adventures, and there's a whole sub-genre of SF devoted to it, with authors such as Sharon Lee/Steve Miller and Nathan Lowell.
Charlie, I've been skimming the old thread and I liked your original phrase for this, "Trade Secrets," much more, as snappier, more ambiguous and more fun.

Also gleaned from the old thread is a gmw proposal, "Courtly Behavior."
Advert
Old 06-25-2018, 02:27 PM   #36
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, yes, I agree, Trade Secrets it is. I just wasn't firing on all cylinders this morning. Not enough coffee yet.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:03 PM   #37
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
You are welcome gmw - after all, you got there first! And I agree Catlady about not wanting a surprise ending to be flagged.

Thanks for the reminder issybird - I shall nominate Courtly behaviour.

Bookworm-girl, Charlie’s change to Trade Secrets leaves You’re never too young and also you suggested one on myths and fairytales in the first thread I seem to remember.

(I wasn’t serious about the closed doors Dazrin!)
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:12 PM   #38
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I have a problem with Gobsmacked because although I generally like surprise endings, and although I devour books that tend to have them, I don't want to know in advance that there's going to be a whopper of an ending--just that knowledge is in itself a spoiler. I'd be reluctant to even look at a list of nominations for a category like that.
True ... but I was thinking along the lines of reading an O. Henry story ... you know there's going to be a twist at the end, and part of the fun is either anticipating/predicting it or letting yourself be surprised by it ...
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:09 PM   #39
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Very gracious, Bookpossum.

issybird, if you wanted to add a ":topic" to Out of This World, I was thinking something like...

Out of This World!: Unusual settings

What I had in mind was something in which the peculiarities of the setting is important to the story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
How about, Out of This World: Otherwhere ?
Curious, I was not familiar with otherwhere, my instinct was for elsewhere. I'd like to use otherwhence (or elsewhence) - just for the rarity value - but they don't match what I meant by Out of This World. None of these really suggest that the other place need be anything interesting or special, but perhaps the unusual (to me, anyway) "otherwhere" is enough to suggest that.

If you like either elaboration then go for it, otherwise leave it. I'm not much worried either way.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:48 AM   #40
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
You are welcome gmw - after all, you got there first! And I agree Catlady about not wanting a surprise ending to be flagged.

Thanks for the reminder issybird - I shall nominate Courtly behaviour.

Bookworm-girl, Charlie’s change to Trade Secrets leaves You’re never too young and also you suggested one on myths and fairytales in the first thread I seem to remember.

(I wasn’t serious about the closed doors Dazrin!)
I like Courtly Behaviour. We should have some fun with that. I've got Bird at the Buzzer and My Shot: Balancing It All and Standing Tall lined up for it already.

However, I wasn't necessarily abandoning You're Never too Young, just suggesting another possible one for which I have some definite ideas. We can sort out which has more support later.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:13 AM   #41
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Ah sorry Charlie, I thought you were changing your nominated theme. Meanwhile, I can see I am going to have to check out your suggested books!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:24 AM   #42
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Curious, I was not familiar with otherwhere, my instinct was for elsewhere. I'd like to use otherwhence (or elsewhence) - just for the rarity value - but they don't match what I meant by Out of This World. None of these really suggest that the other place need be anything interesting or special, but perhaps the unusual (to me, anyway) "otherwhere" is enough to suggest that.

If you like either elaboration then go for it, otherwise leave it. I'm not much worried either way.
I thought of elsewhere, too, but otherwhere seemed more enigmatic and exotic and suggestive of what you wanted. If you'd like otherwhence as even more so, that sounds good to me. In any case, nothing's set in stone or even in aspic.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:40 AM   #43
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Late to the thread, but my suggestion is

Lost in Translation

Clearly, this covers books translated from another language or books about translation, but the creative among you could definitely stretch this to include other things.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:47 AM   #44
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Late to the thread
Far from late! This is an ongoing process.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:25 PM   #45
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Ah sorry Charlie, I thought you were changing your nominated theme. Meanwhile, I can see I am going to have to check out your suggested books!
Actually, I don't know that I'm changing or not changing -- just offering two up for consideration, and we'll let folks figure out what we ultimately end up with.