Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-05-2017, 07:09 AM   #1
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
NEW HOW-TO: Install ADE 2.0.1 in Wine

For those Linux users having trouble installing ADE 2.01 in Wine, I have just posted a Howto on the Wiki. You can find it at:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/ADE_2.0.1_Linux

It worked for me. However, I already had it working following a much more convuluted procedure. As I had removed the existing version and the steps install into a totally different wineprefix in any event, this should not make a difference. In theory at least.

I am running Sabayon with the latest version of Wine. The program runs and I was able to authorise it with Adobe, drag and drop .acsm files and download and read the books. I've got a warning on the howto which I intend to leave until others have tested and verified it. Wine is a strangte and wornderful creature, and there is of course the potential to break your installation.

If you do want to try it please post you success or failure and any feedback on this thread.

Last edited by darryl; 02-19-2017 at 06:22 AM.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:54 AM   #2
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Thanks. Didn't work for me though. (Have not searched for the error messages and potential solutions. Wine is working fine.)

Spoiler:
patrik@T440p ~ $ WINEPREFIX=~/.adewine WINEARCH=win32 wineboot
wine: created the configuration directory '/home/patrik/.adewine'
fixme:storage:create_storagefile Storage share mode not implemented.
err:mscoree:LoadLibraryShim error reading registry key for installroot
fixme:storage:create_storagefile Storage share mode not implemented.
err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0x11fe890, overlapped 0x11fe89c): stub
wine: configuration in '/home/patrik/.adewine' has been updated.
patrik@T440p ~ $ export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.adewine/
patrik@T440p ~ $ winetricks -q windowscodecs && winetricks -q corefonts
Executing w_do_call windowscodecs
Executing load_windowscodecs
Using native override for following DLLs: windowscodecs windowscodecsext
Executing winetricks_early_wine regedit /S C:\windows\Temp\_windowscodecs\override-dll.reg
------------------------------------------------------
Working around wine bug 32859 -- Working around possibly broken libX11
Executing taskset -c 0 wine wic_x86_enu.exe /passive
fixme:clusapi:GetNodeClusterState ((null),0x32ebf4) stub!
fixme:advapiecryptFileA ("c:\\da94a18b06c78e920a8443\\", 00000000): stub
fixme:setupapiSetupGetGlobalFlags stub
fixme:wintrust:WinVerifyTrust unimplemented for 4
errle:CoGetClassObject class {acadf079-cbcd-4032-83f2-fa47c4db096f} not registered
errle:CoGetClassObject no class object {acadf079-cbcd-4032-83f2-fa47c4db096f} could be created for context 0x1
fixme:ntdll:server_ioctl_file Unsupported ioctl 9c040 (device=9 access=3 func=10 method=0)
fixme:service:EnumServicesStatusExW resume handle not supported
fixme:dbghelp:EnumerateLoadedModulesW64 If this happens, bump the number in mod
fixme:sfc:SFC_3 0
fixme:wintrust:CryptCATGetCatAttrInfo 0x184708, L"SPAttr"
fixme:wintrust:CryptCATGetCatAttrInfo 0x184708, L"SPAttr"
fixme:wintrust:CryptCATGetCatAttrInfo 0x184708, L"SPLevel"
fixme:wintrust:CryptCATGetCatAttrInfo 0x184708, L"SPLevel"
fixme:advapi:RegisterEventSourceA ((null),"NtServicePack"): stub
fixme:advapi:RegisterEventSourceW (L"",L"NtServicePack"): stub
fixme:advapi:ReportEventA (0xcafe4242,0x0004,0x0000,0x400e1119,0x1a7d20,0x00 02,0x00000000,0x33bb74,(nil)): stub
fixme:advapi:ReportEventW (0xcafe4242,0x0004,0x0000,0x400e1119,0x1a7d20,0x00 02,0x00000000,0x59ff78,(nil)): stub
fixme:advapieregisterEventSource (0xcafe4242) stub
Executing w_do_call corefonts
Executing load_corefonts
Executing mkdir -p /home/patrik/.cache/winetricks/corefonts
Downloading http://surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net/so...al/arial32.exe to /home/patrik/.cache/winetricks/corefonts
--2017-02-05 14:03:04-- http://surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net/so...al/arial32.exe
Resolving surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net (surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net)... failed: Name or service not known.
wget: unable to resolve host address ‘surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net’
Downloading http://surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net/so...al/arial32.exe failed

patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2017, 09:03 PM   #3
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It looks link Winetricks could not download the core fonts from the address provided. Is your Winetricks up to date? The version I am running is 20160628. This seems to download the 10 corefonts successfully. Try updating. Be careful to export the wineprefix in the shell to work on this. Good luck.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:57 AM   #4
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Code:
$ winetricks -V
$ wine --version
wine-1.6.2
I'm using whatever standard Mint uses. I have some programs working fine in wine so I'm not sure I will tinker with manually adding repositories and updating. (I just wanted to give you some feedback.)
Old 02-06-2017, 05:37 AM   #5
darryl
Wizard

Thanks for the feedback, patrik. It is much appreciated.

The problem is that the version of Winetricks on your system is over 2 years older than the version on my system. It is trying to download the corefonts from a link which no longer works. My system is also running Wine 2.0. I can certainly understand you not wanting to play around too much with a working system. The 10 corefonts installers are:

Code:
~ $ ls $HOME/.cache/winetricks/corefonts/
arial32.exe   comic32.exe   georgi32.exe  times32.exe   verdan32.exe
arialb32.exe  courie32.exe  impact32.exe  trebuc32.exe  webdin32.exe
I suspect the old version of wine will not be a problem. If you can download these installers manually (or you may already have copies somewhere on your system) you can go to a shell, specify the WINEPREFIX and install with wine arial32.exe .....

Anyway, thanks again for the feedback.
Advert
Old 02-06-2017, 05:47 AM   #6
patrik
Guru

Since winetricks is just a script I downloaded it to a separate directory and ran it again. This time it worked and dowloaded the fonts.

What do you think about the errors I get running the very first step? Could it be a 2.0 issue, or something else wrong/old with my installation?

(FYI, I re-did all steps (with the new winetricks) but got the same error for all steps besides the winetricks one.)
Old 02-06-2017, 06:18 AM   #7
darryl
Wizard

patrik. I don't think any of these errors actually matter. You normally see a lot of errors in the shell when running an application on Wine, simply because there are many functions not implemented in it yet. It is far from perfect. Your first step certainly seemed to complete, despite the errors.

Code:
wine: configuration in '/home/patrik/.adewine' has been updated
There may well not be a problem with your wine version, and you have now finished with winetricks. Try the next step of installing the dotnet framework. Don't forget to set the WINEPREFIX in your shell before you do.

Good luck.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:20 AM   #8
darryl
Wizard

I just used this procedure successfully to install ADE 2.01 on a notebook running Manjaro (an Arch Linux based distro). There was no previous installation of Wine which I installed from the package manager together with Winetricks. When running Step 1 I received a warning that i needed to install separate pacages for wine-gecko and wine-mono to run dotnet programs. This will vary from distro to distro. Otherwise the steps worked well. The dotnet package again took a long time to download and also a long time to install. Afso, even arter dotnet finished installing it left processes running in the background which would take over the shell. I could have simply closed the shell and opened a new one, but would h ave had to specify the new wineprefix again (Step 2). Instaed I simply used ctl-c to get back to a prompt and installed ADE.

I'm not going to remove the warning just yet as I have had no reports of success by others.

Last edited by darryl; 02-17-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:37 PM   #9
darryl
Wizard

I now have one independent report of successful installation using the procedures.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:42 AM   #10
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Hi. Followed the procedure it failed to install the dotnet framework.

Code:
$ wine --version
wine-2.1 (Staging)
$ winetricks --version
20170101 - sha1sum: 47c8d3524168fe9102d21cea88640b28084332d3
This is on Linux Mint 18.1. I can post the wine errors if you really want.

By the way, you say at the top of the article that ADE version 1.7.2 is no longer working. It works for me. I tested it again this morning just to confirm. I downloaded an acsm file from my Kobo account, opened it with ADE and it downloaded the book and displayed it.

Was there something else that no longer works?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ADE172.png
Views:	866
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	155088  
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:33 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
ADE 1.7.2 no longer works with Google Books and Overdrive. There could be other places where you need ADE 2.0.1.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:38 AM   #12
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
ADE 1.7.2 no longer works with Google Books and Overdrive. There could be other places where you need ADE 2.0.1.
OK thanks. I did wonder about Overdrive.

My library doesn't use Overdrive so it's not an issue for me. I once bought a book from Google books and the experience was so bad I avoided it ever since.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:39 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
For those Linux users having trouble installing ADE 2.01 in Wine, I have just posted a Howto on the Wiki. You can find it at:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/ADE_2.01_Linux
OK, the Wiki page needs to be changed or deleted and recreated. It's got a mistake that I do not know if it can be fixed. I tried to edit it and I could fix some of it, but the header I could not fix. The version of ADE is NOT 2.01. The version of ADE is 2.0.1. The header shows 2.01 and needs to be changed to be 2.0.1. If this means the page has to go to be recreated so be it.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:35 AM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Renamed. It's done via a MOVE

Also updated all pages that linked to it

Last edited by PeterT; 02-18-2017 at 11:40 AM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:36 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Renamed. It's done via a MOVE

Also updated all pages that linked to it
I didn't know you could do a move. I thought you had to copy the content and start a new page. Wiki needs to be fixed so you can fix an incorrect header.

Thank you!