Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-18-2014, 02:02 PM   #1
Richs
Richs began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
SOLVED Calibre content server from iOS safari with username & password in address

I apologize for asking about this if it has been covered elsewhere.

I have two objectives
1 to have a fairly secure calibre content server so that a server hacker can't easily exploit a short or guessable password.
2 I don't want to have to enter a long/difficult password every time I want to access my server.

Is there some way to express the address along with the username and password so that I can access it directly with one string of text in my bookmarks? I'm using Safari on iOS. In the past this was possible on Internet explorer but they stopped offering this capability in ie7. Before in ie addresses were of the form:

Username: password@server: port

SOLVED:
http:// username: password@server: port/browse
No spaces.

Alternatively
Server: port/?user=username&pass=password
No spaces.

Technically this has nothing to do with Calibre itself, but it may nevertheless be useful to other calibre users. Also I'm not sure if sending an address out in this format immediately compromises your security with respect to your network admin/ISP but... It does what I set out to do.

Last edited by Richs; 01-18-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Richs is offline   Reply With Quote