Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
bubbas45
bubbas45 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Touch, Kindle Fire, Kindle 2, Galaxy S3
Calibre metadata not seen by Marvin on iPad

Howdy, folks. I have searched for information regarding my issue, but I was unable to find anything relevant. If this has been asked and answered, I’d appreciate a pointer. If not, I’d appreciate some assistance.

Here is the deal. I have Calibre on my PC. The library is in Dropbox. I am reading with Marvin on my iPad; Marvin goes to Dropbox and sees my entire library.

My metadata is all fine and dandy in Calibre. I do not see the metadata in Marvin.

Any idea what I am doing wrong? I thought I would see the metadata, and in particular the Series information, in Marvin.

thanks, bws
bubbas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:43 AM   #2
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Marvin looks for metadata in the EPUB file itself. I find that sometimes when I make changes to metadata in calibre (say, changing the cover), that change is reflected in calibre's database but not written in the EPUB. So Marvin never gets to see that metadata.

You can do an EPUB to EPUB conversion to make sure that the metadata is written in the book before sending it to Marvin.

Soon, Marvin will be getting a feature that will work around this issue in some cases.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The Modify ePub plugin will update metadata without doing a conversion. You can also use the Polish books feature, added in calibre 0.9.19.

In addition to doing an EPUB-EPUB conversion that Kris mentioned, either of these approaches will update the metadata in the book, which should make it visible to Marvin when downloaded via Dropbox.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #4
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

bubbas45: I've written something here: http://blog.marvinapp.com/post/51660803183

I hope it helps.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
bubbas45

Kris and G, thanks so much for your speedy responses, the links, and the new tutorial. This is awesome.

bws
Advert
Old 05-30-2013, 11:35 PM   #6
bubbas45

covers not displaying

I used Polish, selecting to update the metadata and the cover and to add metadata to a book jacket page.

When Marvin downloaded the polished epubs, none of the book covers appeared. I had to edit the metadata, select cover, and select restore original. Then the covers appear as expected.

Not a big deal for the few books I downloaded, but I must be doing something wrong or misunderstanding the process.

bws
Old 05-31-2013, 06:31 AM   #7
kguil
Addict

bubbas45: I'll check.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:44 AM   #8
funkycaveman
funkycaveman began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
I am having the same problem. When I polish my books, the cover is not displayed by Marvin. It's a little weird. . . I need to polish the books to look right on my Sony PRS-350 and Bluefire reader, which render the cover correctly, but then the cover the cover disappears when I load the same file in Marvin. The two options I select when polishing are add metadata and cover.

It could just be me as I'm kind of a novice at this! Thanks for a great app! Marvin and Lingvo together are a dream come true!

Last edited by funkycaveman; 06-02-2013 at 04:00 AM.
funkycaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #9
kguil
Addict

@bubbas45, @funkycaveman: I've tracked down the issue and fixed it. "Unfortunately" the next update is going to be "a big one" so I'm expecting that testing will take a bit longer than usual. Including the time it takes Apple to review, I'd say 2-3 weeks.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #10
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Good that the fix is coming, thanks, Kris. I've just "polished" my entire library because this is something I had not yet discovered about Calibre and was frustrated at still having the "old" covers and metadata showing up.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:54 PM   #11
kguil
Addict

No problem. I know about the issue with the covers but not with the other metadata. What about it?
Old 06-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #12
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
No problem. I know about the issue with the covers but not with the other metadata. What about it?
Sorry... I meant previous to polishing, not after it
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #13
kguil
Addict

No problem.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:19 PM   #14
bubbas45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
@bubbas45, @funkycaveman: I've tracked down the issue and fixed it...
That's great, thanks!

bws