Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-14-2012, 10:55 AM   #16
westy
westy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.westy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.westy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.westy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.westy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.westy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.westy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.westy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.westy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.westy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.westy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
Welcome!

About as long as a piece of rope.

That's a bit pricey for an ebook, so I'd be expecting a lot of words for my money.

Just checked. A 140,000 word file in rtf format is about 2.5 MB. So your 50 MB limit would be 2,800,000 words. You'd get even more if you wrote it in odt format, probably less in Word format.

Seriously, if you check the guidelines from, say, Mills & Boone, they're looking at ca 50,000 words (if I remember correctly). My first book was 200,000, and about 1/3 too long (I'm working on it now). My second is about 140,000, and I think about right. That's about what I expect for a decent novel.

A novel nowadays usually has about 350-400 words per page, irrespective of whether it's a paperback or hardcover, at least here in Sweden, so multiply that by the number of pages in a good novel.
Many thanks for to 50MB clarification - that's that question answered. There's (way more than) ample space for a good book length and graphics.

Really appreciate all your input on my questions guys, it has certainly helped my thinking on this.
Will carry out the Amazon market research as suggested to establish a genre expectancy on length and cost.

Thanks again.
westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:30 AM   #17
ndixon
Mostly Harmless
ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, Nook Simple Touch
I realise I've come to this discussion a little late, but here's my tuppence-worth.

I have always understood that as a rule of thumb, you should assume about 250 words to a page.
So every 100 pages would be about 25k words; 75k words would be about 300 pages.

100k words would therefore be about 450 pages, which is about as much as I'd want to read in a single volume.

But bear in mind that most ebook formats are compressed (RTF is not compressed), so if you have mostly text and few illustrations, most novel-length books should turn out to be under 1MB.
ndixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2012, 06:59 AM   #18
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndixon View Post
I have always understood that as a rule of thumb, you should assume about 250 words to a page.
So every 100 pages would be about 25k words; 75k words would be about 300 pages.

100k words would therefore be about 450 pages, which is about as much as I'd want to read in a single volume.

Those numbers can not be right, my 100k word book as published in trade paperback is 334 pages.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:50 AM   #19
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Those numbers can not be right, my 100k word book as published in trade paperback is 334 pages.
I've seen the 250 words per page estimate as well (based, if I remember correctly, on a monospaced 12pt font, lines double-spaced on a manuscript page with inch margins, as a reasonable first pass guess at how the final result may come out). But the words-to-print-page calculation is always going to be highly variable: font-type, font-size, page-format, margins, how much is dialogue, and so on.

This page gives some examples, ranging from less than 200 words per page to well over 300 words per page.

If I am enjoying a book I don't really care how long it is: I happily read Lord of the Rings as a single volume the first time I found it - if I was reading it now on an e-reader I don't see any reason why I'd want it broken into three volumes.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:09 PM   #20
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Typically, Agatha Christie novels runs to about 80,000 words. Alistair MacLean's Where Eagles Dare, 77,000 (Maclean typically ran to 80,000 approx.) DeFoe's Robinson Crusoe, 120,000 words; Huxley's Brave New World, 65,000; Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, 115,000. Arthur C Clarke Rendezvous With Rama, 70,000 roughly. Dick Francis probably 80-90,000 words. Hammett's The Maltese Falcon 70,000.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #21
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpmeister View Post
Typically, Agatha Christie novels runs to about 80,000 words. Alistair MacLean's Where Eagles Dare, 77,000 (Maclean typically ran to 80,000 approx.) DeFoe's Robinson Crusoe, 120,000 words; Huxley's Brave New World, 65,000; Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, 115,000. Arthur C Clarke Rendezvous With Rama, 70,000 roughly. Dick Francis probably 80-90,000 words. Hammett's The Maltese Falcon 70,000.
Thanks. This was useful input.

Interesting that all the serial writers, Christie, MacLean, Clarke, Francis land around 80000. Interesting that Heinlein runs to 115000.

Be also interesting to see how many words other classics run to, say Jane Austen (almost a serial writer), Charlotte Bronte, Charles Dickens, Elisabeth Gaskell. How about Harold Robbins and, say, Dan Brown? Well, no, Dan Brown, like John Grisham, writes film manuscripts thinly disguised as books. What about J K Rowling? Her output seemed to increase for every book.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #22
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My first novel, 85,305 words. My second novel 87,846 words. My third novel is 101,185 words. My forth is just now passing 70k, but I am not done with it yet. So I guess that puts me in the right ball park at least.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The number of pages depends on the type size, the margins, and the size of the pages. Can you say what all that will be to be able to estimate the number of pages?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:37 AM   #24
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Just had a look at Lee Child, Die Trying. About 300 words per page, 550 pages of text. Knock off ten percent for white space at chapters, etc, and you get around 140,000 - 150,000 words.

Set in 10/12 Plantin, usual small paperback size, UK edition. 34 lines per page, typically 8-10 words per line where the line is full, obviously less in short sharp exchanges of dialogue. I counted 50 characters per line in a typical full line.

Last edited by Pulpmeister; 09-03-2012 at 12:42 AM. Reason: added second par.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #25
Lazybones
Groupie
Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
My novels have ranged from 50k to 275k. I did reduce the cost of the 50k novel to 99 cents since I thought it was a bit thin for $2.99. But as long as the story is well-written and you can tell a complete story I think length is one of those subjective things that matters less than the attention it gets.

However, if it is shorter than that, you might want to include a note about word count in the book description. I received a number of "too short" comments on a 19k word novella (even though it was a free giveaway and clearly identified as a novella).
Lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #26
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazybones View Post
However, if it is shorter than that, you might want to include a note about word count in the book description. I received a number of "too short" comments on a 19k word novella (even though it was a free giveaway and clearly identified as a novella).

I would suggest that something that short be part of a collection instead of a one off.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
I would suggest that something that short be part of a collection instead of a one off.
If it's part of a series, a collection of short stories can be a pain in the ass. Take the Dresden Files (for example). There is a book out that is a collection of shorts that fit in between the full length novels. But you have to back and forth read between the novels and the shorts. I would rather but the shorts as a collection of individual eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote