Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 09-18-2011, 01:18 AM   #1
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
Themes etc

I was having a squiz through the sticky that gives links to some different themes for the 360. I was wondering how do you go about putting a theme on to the 360?

I have been checking out reviews of the 360 on youtube and I really don't like the theme layout it comes with.

What other things can be added to it?

Sorry not very tech savvy here.
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:22 AM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganM View Post
how do you go about putting a theme on to the 360?
Connect reader to PC, copy theme file to Q:\system\themes (Q: being whatever drive letter computer assigns to your reader)
Quote:
What other things can be added to it?
Fonts, dictionaries, a few games, better version of FBReader, Coolreader, ...
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2011, 03:42 AM   #3
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Connect reader to PC, copy theme file to Q:\system\themes (Q: being whatever drive letter computer assigns to your reader)
Fonts, dictionaries, a few games, better version of FBReader, Coolreader, ...
Thanks.

I was wondering how do you find the screen on the pocketbook? I read in another of my threads that it's something called vizsomething or rather and not pearl eink
Old 09-18-2011, 04:04 AM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I was wondering how do you find the screen on the pocketbook? I read in another of my threads that it's something called vizsomething or rather and not pearl eink
I find it great to read from.

PB360 has eink Vizplex - the second generation
Kindle 3 has Pearl eink - the third generation.

There IS difference. We just can't agree here (and on other forums) how big the difference is. I personally have compared my PocketBook with Kindle 3 and I am still very satisfied with PocketBook and would still choose PocketBook over Kindle. I am too spoiled with other features and customisation options.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:44 AM   #5
MorganM
Fanatic

Quote:
I find it great to read from.

PB360 has eink Vizplex - the second generation
Kindle 3 has Pearl eink - the third generation.

There IS difference. We just can't agree here (and on other forums) how big the difference is. I personally have compared my PocketBook with Kindle 3 and I am still very satisfied with PocketBook and would still choose PocketBook over Kindle. I am too spoiled with other features and customisation options.
Thanks once again.
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 12:45 AM   #6
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
I had a look at a Kindle 3 at Target the other day and it seems to have a much better screen (the background was much whiter than my PB360 and the text seemed sharper) than the PB360. I LOVE my PB360, but I did really like the Kindle screen.

Having said that, I want to be able to organise my books/files as I see fic. I don't want to give control of that over to the reader. I'll only ever buy a Kindle if they give me that control.
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:23 AM   #7
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndecisiveMe View Post
Having said that, I want to be able to organise my books/files as I see fic. I don't want to give control of that over to the reader. I'll only ever buy a Kindle if they give me that control.
There is port of FBReader for Kindle and also port of Coolreader. But first you have to jailbreak your Kindle and install launcher. Then you have to launch respective program and navigate to the directory from within the program.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:16 AM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
I had a look at a Kindle 3 at Target the other day and it seems to have a much better screen (the background was much whiter than my PB360 and the text seemed sharper) than the PB360. I LOVE my PB360, but I did really like the Kindle screen.

Kindle has a collections feature that gives you some organization ability. It is like folders but *not* nested folders. You *can* assign ebooks to more than one collection so it works somewhat like the PB360's Favorites.
One advantage Kindle collections have over favorites is there are PC-based apps that will let you organize the books into the collections.

BTW, Pearl is nice but not all Pearl-based readers look like the K3. Amazon plays a couple proprietary ricks to make their font look darker.

Who knows, maybe next year will bring a newer 360 with pearl?
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #9
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Who knows, maybe next year will bring a newer 360 with pearl?
Do. Not. Hold. Your. Breath.
PB360PLUS is still not available in Europe.

In the meanwhile, there is new Kindle available for $79, featuring Pearl screen. Kindle Touch with multitouch Pearl in on pre-order for @99.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:45 PM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Do. Not. Hold. Your. Breath.
PB360PLUS is still not available in Europe.

In the meanwhile, there is new Kindle available for $79, featuring Pearl screen. Kindle Touch with multitouch Pearl in on pre-order for @99.
I'm not.

Those Kindle prices are for the Special Offers versions; not that I object to the ads, but the versions without them are US$109 and $139, respectively.

The real threat is that the entry level Kindle is narrower than the PB360 and not much taller, with edge-mounted paging buttons, wifi, and a 6" screen. That... is physically comparable to a 360. Factor in that hacked Kindles can run versions of FBreader and coolreader3 (and Kindles have an app store) and the comparison becomes tighter still.

Much more delay in refreshing the screen tech may render it a moot point.

As is, the Kobo Touch is headed your way in a few weeks, no?
Old 09-29-2011, 12:07 AM   #11
IndecisiveMe
Addict

Quote:
There is port of FBReader for Kindle and also port of Coolreader. But first you have to jailbreak your Kindle and install launcher. Then you have to launch respective program and navigate to the directory from within the program.
I'll keep that in mind, Kacir I have a friend who used to have a PB360 and now has a Kindle 3 and she loves it. She had endless problems with her PB and gave up. She did say that the PB had much better file organisation, though. I read a lot of HTML files, so I'd need that ability, too. She's found that if she just changes the .htm extension to .txt they work perfectly on the Kindle 3 without conversion.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:09 AM   #12
IndecisiveMe
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Kindle has a collections feature that gives you some organization ability. It is like folders but *not* nested folders. You *can* assign ebooks to more than one collection so it works somewhat like the PB360's Favorites.
One advantage Kindle collections have over favorites is there are PC-based apps that will let you organize the books into the collections.
I definitely need nested folders. I just saw one that looked perfect, but I'm not sure it works with HTML, which I need.

At the moment, I am extremely happy with my PB. I don't see myself changing (voluntarily) for a long time.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:07 AM   #13
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
I, too, really like the new Kindles (the basic one is very nice!). However, until someone invents the ingenious cover the PB360 has (or makes unbreakable screens) - I'm sticking with the PB 360. Oh, and the files management option is great also - plus the smallness/lightweight aspect. But, it truly is that cover...

To bring it back on topic, I use themes on my PB360+ and they work well.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:29 AM   #14
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
I'll keep that in mind, Kacir I have a friend who used to have a PB360 and now has a Kindle 3 and she loves it ...
Well, I still think that PocketBook has one of THE best firmware of all the readers. And I am still very happy with my Mighty Mouse.
I still care about PocketBook (a company, employer of "Guys In Kiev (TM)"). This is why I still hang around and grumble. Because there are some decisions made at PB headquarters that I have to shake my head about in disbelief. Now that I see PB getting more and more irrelevant I am sad. I really think that users deserve more better software than we see in most of mainstream devices.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:10 PM   #15
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Well, I still think that PocketBook has one of THE best firmware of all the readers. And I am still very happy with my Mighty Mouse.
I still care about PocketBook (a company, employer of "Guys In Kiev (TM)"). This is why I still hang around and grumble. Because there are some decisions made at PB headquarters that I have to shake my head about in disbelief. Now that I see PB getting more and more irrelevant I am sad. I really think that users deserve more better software than we see in most of mainstream devices.
+1
PB360 is a lot of fun to own.
Would hate it if it didn't have descendants.
But products don't exist in a vacuum, they exist in context to what users need and what competitors offer. And 3-year old screen tech is just a bit too visible a disadvantage to easily shrug off.