Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 02-28-2017, 04:56 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
What's a Tintamarro?

I like Mark Twain's comments about translation, as shown in GrannyGrump's signature, and am trying to provide translations while working on The Young Cosima by Henry Handel Richardson.

In the text there is

'As for what my Tintamarro says, and so wisely...'

In the story two lovers are talking in French, and it seems that the speaker is teasing the other person.

I've no idea what Tintamarro means, and all my googling around and checking dictionaries etc hasn't helped. Can anyone point me to a translation please?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:24 AM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I've found different meanings in Italian and Valenciá, and I've found it as nickname too.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:22 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I've found different meanings in Italian and Valenciá, and I've found it as nickname too.
Could you tell me please what those meanings are?
Old 03-01-2017, 12:34 AM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
One of them was "loud noise" and I think the other was "great" but I'll check again later.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:31 AM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
According to Liszt's letters to Princess Carolyne zu Sayn-Wittgenstein, Tintamarro was Liszt's nickname for Carolyne zu Sayn-Wittgenstein.
My French is rather limited, but I believe that Liszt gave her that nickname to tease her for her preference for what he considered pompous and loud music.

(Since my French isn't that great, I asked, Roger64, who is a native French speaker, to double-check this theory for me.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:04 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
According to several dictionaries in Google Books, "tintamarro" means loud noise, din, racket in Provençal.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:22 PM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks to you all. I suppose it could be used as a teasing endearment.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:41 AM   #8
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Hi

Sorry for a late answer.

First, as Tintamarro is written with a capital letter and ending with a o, it would suggest to a French reader the name of an Italian -or Spanish- person in a fiction work.

Second, the name itself stems -at least in French- from "tintamarre". A "tintamarre" is the kind of noise a drunken crowd may produce with pots and pans (and shouts)... It's something more than loud music.

This is what an average French reader could infer.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:28 AM   #9
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks to you all. I suppose it could be used as a teasing endearment.
From the phrasing of the quoted sentence, my guess follows this line of thought. It could either be a "nickname" of someone making the sentence something like: 'As for what my excessively outspoken mother says, and so wisely...' or it could be something where an author's name is used as a stand-in for the full title of a reference book, as we commonly do when we say "look it up in your Webster's".
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:49 AM   #10
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks to you both. I'm nearly finished the ebook, and I think I'll leave it as 'a teasing endearment'.