Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-07-2010, 07:02 AM   #1
.mau.
.mau. began at the beginning.

Device: none
internal links and chapter division

I am trying to build an ebook with a lot of internal links (for example, there is an index at the end of the file which links to the chapters where the keywords appear). Since the text is rather long, from within Sigil I divided it in chapters; unfortunately the name of the links were not changed, so they are useless.

I would rather not modify my xhtml source file, since the ebook will be left in that format too and a single long file should be easier to maintain. Does somebody have an idea which is the best way to cope with this? (An external program which automatically corrects links would be fine, but keep in mind that I am using windows)

TIA, .mau.
.mau. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:33 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to mobileread - I'm sure an expert will be along shortly to answer your query....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 07:45 AM   #3
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by .mau. View Post
Since the text is rather long, from within Sigil I divided it in chapters; unfortunately the name of the links were not changed, so they are useless.
Sigil should automatically update those links on chapter splits. If it didn't, that's a bug report. Read this wiki page.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
.mau.
.mau. began at the beginning.

funny

Hello Valloric,
I was trying to create a smaller example (the original file has 30 chapters...), but it works: I browsed the .epub output and all internal links are translated correctly.

I will investigate further (my document is still not finished), and if the misbehaviour persists I'll submit a bug report.

Thanks! .mau.
.mau. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:32 PM   #5
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

For what it's worth, I have found that for implementation of footnotes (initially internal links within a single .xhtml file) that after I load this file into sigil, and break it into chapters, sigil accurately preserves the links (i.e. adds the proper .xhtml filename to the footnote target) such that the footnote links still function, forward and backward, without my manual intervention.

You cannot imagine how impressed I was to see that happen!

I'm dealing with fictional novels, but written by academics. And they HAVE to have their footnotes!

Kudos to Valoric for being able to handle this.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2010, 11:11 AM   #6
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
HTML links in sigil

I don't understand all I've read in this thread.

If the TOC is left in the book, Sigil does not rename the links. Am I missing something?
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:34 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I rearrange (Sigil split) books all the time with Sigil.
The links are adjusted properly

If you "Cut and Paste" parts that contain "Anchors", then Sigil does nothing.

If you move the position of a split in the Booklist, Sigil adjusts the reading order.

Easier to maintain
Rename the splits to something meaningful (and terse, so it does not scroll off the viewer). p01C04.xhtml
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:37 PM   #8
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I rearrange (Sigil split) books all the time with Sigil.
The links are adjusted properly

If you "Cut and Paste" parts that contain "Anchors", then Sigil does nothing.

If you move the position of a split in the Booklist, Sigil adjusts the reading order.

Easier to maintain
Rename the splits to something meaningful (and terse, so it does not scroll off the viewer). p01C04.xhtml
Here is a link from a PG HTML file:
Code:
<A href="http://www.gutenberg.org/files/24105/24105-h/24105-h.htm#chap07">Chapter 7</A>
Is Sigil supposed to adjust this after the file is broken into sections and the sections renamed (e.g. CHAPTER_07.xhtml or CHAPTER07.xhtml or Chapter_7.xhtml or Chapter 7.xhtml)?

I have made manual changes but never had it automatic.

Last edited by crutledge; 07-09-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
Here is a link from a PG HTML file:
Code:
<A href="http://www.gutenberg.org/files/24105/24105-h/24105-h.htm#chap07">Chapter 7</A>
Is Sigil supposed to adjust this after the file is broken into sections and the sections renamed (e.g. CHAPTER_07.xhtml or CHAPTER07.xhtml or Chapter_7.xhtml or Chapter 7.xhtml)?

I have made manual changes but never had it automatic.
Your example is an external link, not a relative link to the internal (local) epub. That may be your problem.
If you download the ziped file and work on that
you will see
Code:
<div class="bodytext">
<a name="chap07"></a>
<h3>Chapter Seven.</h3>
<h4>Sad Tidings.</h4>
in the text

I ran the zip through Calibre, then edited the EPUB with Sigil (split)
Code:
  <div class="navigation">
    | <a class="calibre13" href="../Text/24105-h_split_002.htm#chappre">Preface</a> | | <a class="calibre13" href="../Text/Section0003.xhtml#chap01">Chapter 1</a> | | <a class="calibre13" href="../Text/Section0003.xhtml#chap02">Chapter 2</a> | | <a class="calibre13" href="../Text/Section0003.xhtml#chap03">Chapter 3</a> | | <a class="calibre13" href="../Text/Section0003.xhtml#chap04">Chapter 4</a> | | <a class="calibre13" href="../Text/Section0003.xhtml#chap05">Chapter 5</a> | | <a class="calibre13" href="../Text/Section0003.xhtml#chap06">Chapter 6</a> | 
| <a class="calibre13" href="../Text/Section0003.xhtml#chap07">Chapter 7</a> |
 | <a class="calibre13" href="../Text/Section0001.xhtml#chap08">Chapter 8</a> |
    <hr class="calibre4" />
  </div>
  <pre class="calibre3">
as you can see it is now in section 3 and it was originally part of 24105-h_split_002.htm
Old 07-10-2010, 05:24 AM   #10
crutledge
eBook FANatic

It's wonderous what can be learned while following these threads. I took a PG HTML file, removed the external references from the links and tested that all links still worked. Loaded to Sigil and tested the links before splitting. I then split the file and tested and renamed the sections and tested.

Sigil followed all changes just like you said. Amazing.

I never envisioned such a capability. Thanks a lot, guys.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:53 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
It's wonderous what can be learned while following these threads. I took a PG HTML file, removed the external references from the links and tested that all links still worked. Loaded to Sigil and tested the links before splitting. I then split the file and tested and renamed the sections and tested.

Sigil followed all changes just like you said. Amazing.

I never envisioned such a capability. Thanks a lot, guys.
I am a little curious. How did you get the fie you were working on?

Download or did you "Save As" from a browser?
Somehow it looks like you opened the URL directly from within Sigil.
Not good :^) The URL base does not get adjusted like it does when you "Save a Web page As..."

Many books in PG already are available as EPUB (very simple), but that is a starting point just a little further along your path.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:21 AM   #12
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Not good :^) The URL base does not get adjusted like it does when you "Save a Web page As..."

Many books in PG already are available as EPUB (very simple), but that is a starting point just a little further along your path.

Not actually too sure why these are still experimental - one would have thought they could have moved on by now .....
Old 07-10-2010, 08:42 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Not actually too sure why these are still experimental - one would have thought they could have moved on by now .....
Committee approval?
Old 07-10-2010, 08:46 AM   #14
GeoffC

Perhaps - and you're probably correct (and we know how long committees take !)
Old 07-10-2010, 12:35 PM   #15
crutledge
eBook FANatic

Quote:

I always "Save As" from the browser. The problem is that a lot of formating used in the PG files does not look good in Mobi and other formats. BD would strip all formating but, to my knowledge, Sigil will not, so I do some editing before loading Sigil. In fact, when I load to Sigil, all I have to do is press F6. I finally produce Epub, Mobi, LRF, and Imp for posting. It's a hobby.