Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-31-2010, 11:43 AM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
B&N selling ePub is a sham!

I just did some checking on B&N's site and found something interesting.

Back when B&N first started with eBooks, I did download a free Star Wars eBook that was in ePub using their new social DRM. Now, I go to download the same eBook that's in my library and it's coming up as eReader. So what gives with B&N making the move to ePub?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I recently downloaded a book I purchased to my nook, and it was downloaded as an .epub, but when I downloaded it from their website to my PC, it downloaded a .pdb. I'm not sure what the scoop is on that.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2010, 08:57 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The problem for B&N is that some of their reader apps (the BlackBerry for one) don't currently support ePub. So if they send out one file format it has to be eReader.

Last time I tried, downloading an ebook within the Windows B&N app will still get the ePub version - even though a web browser delivers an eReader version. This isn't possible on the Mac (where the download is always done by the web browser).

I do fault B&N for not reporting if a given ebook is available in ePub format. Amazon does the same with AZW vs TOPAZ, but Amazon should say too.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:06 PM   #4
jenifer.a
jenifer.a began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader Pocket Pro...Pink of course
Barnes and Noble saying they support ePub is kind of a joke--it depends on the DRM. Most authors prefer, obviously, to have it, and therefore books with it are still not available on the Nook.
jenifer.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:46 AM   #5
riemann42
Zealot
riemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enough

Device: eSlick,nook
Add &mediaProfile=epub to the end of the URL. Often, you'll get an epub, even when you don't by clicking on it or in the reader.
riemann42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
atidball
Enthusiast
atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by riemann42 View Post
Add &mediaProfile=epub to the end of the URL. Often, you'll get an epub, even when you don't by clicking on it or in the reader.
Has anyone else had any luck with this? It doesn't work for any of my books. Even those I've previously gotten epub with.
atidball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
riemann42
Zealot
riemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enough

Device: eSlick,nook
It doesn't seem to work for me anymore either.
riemann42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:36 AM   #8
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
For me, when I used the Mac version of B&N reader they were downloaded as eReader. When I used the Windows version they came as ePub
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:11 PM   #9
lovestoreadalot
Connoisseur
lovestoreadalot began at the beginning.

Device: none

Last edited by lovestoreadalot; 09-15-2010 at 08:48 AM.
lovestoreadalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:22 AM   #10
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
I recently bought an eBook from B&N. The author publishes on SmashWords too. But the price on SmashWords was $3.99 and it was only $0.99 on B&N. (WHY???)

I expected DRM ePub. I got no DRM. And it was .PDB (eReader I believe).
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:09 AM   #11
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovestoreadalot View Post
DRM sucks! It's such a hassle I may have to go back to reading paperbacksif I can't figure out how to remove drm off of epubs, since I can't find any books I want in Mobi any longer.All this confusion and hassle is what is going to make people who like me know nothing about computer stuff stick to dead tree books.And I really don't want to since I love my PB360.
Removing DRM from epubs is amazingly simple. A web search for apprenticealf should solve that problem.

However, the PB360 reads DRM'ed epubs via ADE, if you don't want to remove the DRM.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote