Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 12-17-2009, 11:15 PM   #1
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Probably should have posted this before I bought..

Last Christmas I bought a Kindle for my mother so we could share books. She loves her Kindle. This past summer, I bought a used Sony PRS-505 and found myself reading more on it; however, I've been locked into buying from Amazon any books I share with my mom. So I wanted to buy her a second reader that reads epub and pdf this Christmas. Given it's a second reader, I didn't want to spend a lot of money but failed to find a used PRS-505 as the holidays approach. I considered a new PRS-300 but wanted an SD card, as I don't see her hooking up her reader to a computer to transfer books. I almost jumped on the Jetbook Lite, but she's retired and can read for hours a day so swapping batteries was out.

Anyway, with the 10% paypal deal and a price of $149+free shipping, I ordered the Jetbook from newegg. Now I'm hoping I did the right thing

Questions:
- Some reviews report the battery heat issues. Is that still an issue?
- Is the LCD too fragile to throw in a handbag (in its pouch)?
- How does the reading compare to the Kindle 1 (which she is used to)? I got her the white since her Kindle was white...but wonder if the LCD screen is better in black.
- Some say that Etaco support/warranty is non-existent if you don't buy from them. Anyone have any experience?
- She is non-technical, so my plan is to remove the drm and send her books periodically on an SD card that she can use on her reader. Will that work?
Any plans for the Jetbook to support DRM so I can just add her reader to my accounts?
- I posted the $149 price and no one commented. Was it a good price for a Jetbook?
- Other things to consider before giving it to her?

Guess I am just trying to feel comfortable with my purchase and manage my expectations for when it arrives. Would also love to hear comparisons from those who own a Jetbook and a Kindle/Sony. (More from a usability standpoint than features, which I can read).

Another option is to give her my Sony and keep the Jetbook. But I already have the cover with the light for the Sony which she wouldn't use and I need...not to mention that a good protective cover is important to me since I commute daily with my reader.

Jetbook reviews seem more positive here and that factored heavily in my decision. I'm just hoping she loves it as much as others do.

Last edited by Boston; 12-17-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:28 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Boston, $149 is the list price for the jetBook Lite. The list for the jetBook is $199, often discounted to $179. Many have used a 20% off coupon from Bed, Bath & Beyond to get it for $199-20%=$159.

Your $149 price is the lowest I have ever seen for it. If you saved another 10% by using PayPal, that's really terrific!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2009, 02:17 AM   #3
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
I have used the Kindle, Sony 505 and I really love my Jetbook !

There are some minor issues with the firmware that are being fixed. The new H rev software just increased the SD card to 32 gig. Drm is supposed to be supported now but I have not tested it.

The usb interface is 1.1 so what I thought was a problem with mine turns out to be the speed difference between 1.1 and 2.0

BTW if you do a lot of reading and writing to SD cards or other media get an internal reader for you desktop computer that uses the IDE or Sata interface and you will only be limited by the card speed not the interface speed.

I am getting close to the specified time on charges and make sure I run the batteries down to almost zero before I recharge. Please keep in mind that the batteries in most of the electronics have a 500 charge half life. This means when it is charged 500 times it will lose half its storage capacity. So do not charge it more than you need and you ebook will last many times longer.

I paid 149.95 at a Safeway owned store, bought it over the counter and walked home with it the same day. So look at your local grocery store or Drug store super chain.

The cover that comes with the Jetbook has a hard plastic insert in the sleeve to protect the LCD screen from damage, its like body armor for your ebook. So yes it will be fine in her purse as long as she is not pelting muggers with it.

For sitting reading at a fixed location she may prefer the Kindle, but I love the Jetbook because I can slip it in a coat pocket and go. I love the screen rotation because it allows me to hold the book in so many different ways. The font sizing allows me to be reading and I find later at night I bump the text size up one to make it easier on my eyes.

You may find that you will give it to her, she will like it, and you may end up buying one for yourself also.
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:29 AM   #4
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
Last Christmas I bought a Kindle for my mother so we could share books. She loves her Kindle. This past summer, I bought a used Sony PRS-505 and found myself reading more on it; however, I've been locked into buying from Amazon any books I share with my mom. So I wanted to buy her a second reader that reads epub and pdf this Christmas. Given it's a second reader, I didn't want to spend a lot of money but failed to find a used PRS-505 as the holidays approach. I considered a new PRS-300 but wanted an SD card, as I don't see her hooking up her reader to a computer to transfer books. I almost jumped on the Jetbook Lite, but she's retired and can read for hours a day so swapping batteries was out.

Anyway, with the 10% paypal deal and a price of $149+free shipping, I ordered the Jetbook from newegg. Now I'm hoping I did the right thing

Questions:
- Some reviews report the battery heat issues. Is that still an issue?

Have seen no heat issues with mine in over 6 months.

- Is the LCD too fragile to throw in a handbag (in its pouch)?

Wife does this daily, be carefull with it, it is glass, if it breaks its toast, but
reasonable caution is all thats needed.

- How does the reading compare to the Kindle 1 (which she is used to)? I got her the white since her Kindle was white...but wonder if the LCD screen is better in black.

Frame is only difference, no difference in screen, my guess is she's going to love it compared to kindle.

- Some say that Etaco support/warranty is non-existent if you don't buy from them. Anyone have any experience?

That I have not needed at all, so I can't help you there.

- She is non-technical, so my plan is to remove the drm and send her books periodically on an SD card that she can use on her reader. Will that work?

I don't see any reason why It wouldn't.

Any plans for the Jetbook to support DRM so I can just add her reader to my accounts?
- I posted the $149 price and no one commented. Was it a good price for a Jetbook?

150$ is I believe the base price for the Jetbook lite. If you got the Jetbook for that you got a bargain, be happy!

- Other things to consider before giving it to her?

Guess I am just trying to feel comfortable with my purchase and manage my expectations for when it arrives. Would also love to hear comparisons from those who own a Jetbook and a Kindle/Sony. (More from a usability standpoint than features, which I can read).

Another option is to give her my Sony and keep the Jetbook. But I already have the cover with the light for the Sony which she wouldn't use and I need...not to mention that a good protective cover is important to me since I commute daily with my reader.

Jetbook reviews seem more positive here and that factored heavily in my decision. I'm just hoping she loves it as much as others do.
Ideally play with it for a day before sending on to her. Load it up with books, make sure she knows how to adjust font size so reading is comfortable for her.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:45 AM   #5
akira28
Nameless Being

Why did you rule out the Jetbook Lite? If someone uses their reader a lot that's the first one I would buy them (plus 2 sets of rechargables). They'd never have to worry about running low. If I would have to a new one now I'd buy the Lite for this reason.
Advert
Old 12-18-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
Why did you rule out the Jetbook Lite? If someone uses their reader a lot that's the first one I would buy them (plus 2 sets of rechargables). They'd never have to worry about running low. If I would have to a new one now I'd buy the Lite for this reason.
I guess my own personal bias. While I don't mind charging something every 2-3 days, I would mind changing batteries that often (even if they are rechargeable). Plus the cost of rechargeable batteries and a charger would negate most of the price difference.

But I have since read that unlike the Kindle, you are supposed to let the battery run low on the jetbook, so I see your point about running out of power being an issue

Thanks to everyone for their input.

One more thing I was thinking about - I use tags in Calibre to organize my Collections in the Sony Reader. It seems that the Jetbook uses the Windows folders. Does that mean I will need to reorganize my books on the computer before transferring books to the Jetbook?
Old 12-18-2009, 10:10 PM   #7
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
The run down rule is not just required by the Jetbook. It is a rule for all rechargable batteries. If you charge your cell phone every day you will notice that the charge just does not last all day just about when your phone is two years old ?

That is why most rechargable unit warranties are two years or less.

365 days x 2 = 730 days
If you miss 10 to 15% of the days you get a 2 year warranty.

If you wanted your Jetbook with rechargable batteries to last more than two years
and charged it once every three days.

365 days / year

121 charges / year based on one every three days

500 / 121 charges = 4 to 5 years with no problems.

Also some batteries depending on the ones used in particular rechargable items have a problem with "glazing". That means if you only drain 20% of the charge and continually recharge the system from 80% back to 100% the battery, after a period of time they will not supply power down past 80%.

This is not just on the Jetbook but all battery operated devices
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:54 PM   #8
heffe2001
Zealot
heffe2001 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage 3g
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8npwrfl View Post
Also some batteries depending on the ones used in particular rechargable items have a problem with "glazing". That means if you only drain 20% of the charge and continually recharge the system from 80% back to 100% the battery, after a period of time they will not supply power down past 80%.

This is not just on the Jetbook but all battery operated devices
Never had this problem with my LiPo batteries I use for my RC Planes. Don't think this is true for any of the Lithium batteries, but definitely is true for NiCD/NiMH.

My laptop I use for work, gets used every day plugged in at work, and discharged usually every night at home, and lost about 25% total power in about 18 months usage. I frequently use 10-20% charge (sometimes more, sometimes less) before plugging it in, and haven't had that problem with memory. Li-Ion Polymer batteries (what the Jetbook comes with) typically* have a cycle life of around 1000 cycles, and 2-3 years time wise. Where you'll usually have problems is when you let them discharge too low, or when the charging circuit in the device overcharges the battery (very dangerous, LiPo batteries can vent flammable gas).

* Modern LiPo batteries, properly cared for, not over discharged, or over charged are usually rated around 1000 cycles, older-tech batteries were rated closer to 500 cycles.

Where I usually have lower cycles on my batteries, are when I push them hard, the 20C+ discharge rates take their toll, and you get much lower usage out of them.
heffe2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:39 PM   #9
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I have a number of NiCad batteries which I bought ten years ago, and have rarely used. Are they almost as good as new now, or near worthless, or somewhere in between?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:25 AM   #10
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post

One more thing I was thinking about - I use tags in Calibre to organize my Collections in the Sony Reader. It seems that the Jetbook uses the Windows folders. Does that mean I will need to reorganize my books on the computer before transferring books to the Jetbook?
Yes, I do this way. Make folders and subfolders with books on my PC and after it transfer all files to SD card and insert it into jetBook. If I need to delete or add books just remove SD card, make chages on PC and put it back in jetBook. I like folders more than Collections...
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:29 AM   #11
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
Folders rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
Yes, I do this way. Make folders and subfolders with books on my PC and after it transfer all files to SD card and insert it into jetBook. If I need to delete or add books just remove SD card, make chages on PC and put it back in jetBook. I like folders more than Collections...
Ditto! On the SD card I have a folder for each author and place the book files into that folder. This way I have easy access to my favorite authors and I can browse through my "library" in a familiar way, by alpha author. Then I have a NEW folder with my new Must-Read books, a REFERENCE folder (self explanatory) and a MISC folder for odds and ends. An inexpensive 2GB card can hold an awful lot of books so the folder structure makes it easy to manage even hundreds of books. And it takes only minutes to move the SD card from jetBook to PC, make changes and back again to the jetBook, as Kris says.
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:40 AM   #12
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
Rechargeable batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I have a number of NiCad batteries which I bought ten years ago, and have rarely used. Are they almost as good as new now, or near worthless, or somewhere in between?
I would not bother with NiCad batteries when the NiMH are so superior in performance and competitively priced these days. I am using 7 year old NiMH rechargeables in my new jetBook and they are working good as new. Note that all rechargeable batteries are NOT the same and "AA" comes in different capacities (and prices) that *significantly* affect the length of time between charges. See www.thomasdistributing.com for details; I swear by their Powerex batteries and have been using them, yes, for 7 years in my digital cameras, MP3 players etc. (I am not an employee of the company, just a happy customer.)
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:41 AM   #13
Boston
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
I too would prefer folder over Collections; however, because I have a Sony and my mother will have a Jetbook (or vice versa), it means that I would need to organize any books I share with her both ways
Old 12-19-2009, 11:00 AM   #14
heffe2001
Zealot
heffe2001 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage 3g
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrant View Post
I would not bother with NiCad batteries when the NiMH are so superior in performance and competitively priced these days. I am using 7 year old NiMH rechargeables in my new jetBook and they are working good as new. Note that all rechargeable batteries are NOT the same and "AA" comes in different capacities (and prices) that *significantly* affect the length of time between charges. See www.thomasdistributing.com for details; I swear by their Powerex batteries and have been using them, yes, for 7 years in my digital cameras, MP3 players etc. (I am not an employee of the company, just a happy customer.)
I use a company called All-Battery.com, they sell Tenergy batteries, in capacities in line with what you're getting, but with a slightly better price (from my cursory browsing of thomasdistributing's site). I've been using them for around 5 years or so, and never had any problems out of their batteries. I also use their LiPo's for planes/etc, and get great performance from their stuff. I really need to place an order (need a brick of AA's, think I'm going to go with the 30-minute recharge 2500mah ones they have now, see how well they work).
heffe2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:14 AM   #15
Boston
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8npwrfl View Post
The run down rule is not just required by the Jetbook. It is a rule for all rechargable batteries.
I thought Li-ion batteries only needed to be fullly discharged/recharged the first few cycles to balance them...but do not have a memory so after that you don't need to do it regularly...its just recommended periodically to rebalance.

In fact, I remember it was said that it was better to NOT let the Kindle battery run down as a rule which is why I was surprised to read that you should let the Jetbook run low. On paper, it looks like the batteries on both are Li-Ion...so don't understand the different recommendations. (Although admittedly its just from various posts made by readers)

Excuse my non-technical speak...obviously I'm not an engineer

I'd rather not let the power run low because you risk it running out while you are reading. With the Kindle, I just charge overnight whenever the power goes under 50%. If I can't do that with the Jetbook without dramatically shortening its battery life, I will be disappointed.