Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 11-18-2009, 02:16 PM   #1
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Embed a font in a PDF without making it huge

So I'm trying to format an book using Word '07 and I want to export it as a PDF. I've done this several times, no problems. I wanted to try something different though and embed the Adobe Garamond font. It worked but the resulting file was 230mb. I tried it again with Times New Roman and the file turned out at 7mb (it's 4,000 pages) which is fine.

So is there any way I can embed the fonts I want without making such a huge file?
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Holy cow, it added 223 MB? I can't see that would have happened. Even if you were using the most advanced version of Adobe Garamond Pro and embedding nearly every character from every font variant (Roman, bold, italic, bold-italic, etc.), I still wouldn't imagine it adding nearly that much.

Suffice it to say, this is not normal.

Anyway, how are you making these PDFs? Are you doing subset embedding or embedding the whole fonts? Using what software?
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2009, 12:11 AM   #3
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Yeah I know, like I said I'm using Word '07 and I don't believe it embeds the entire font. Considering this is a 4 thousand page file, I don't know.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:54 AM   #4
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Do you have Acrobat Pro or similar program that allows you to print to PDF? Have you tried doing it that way rather than converting through Word? Does it make a difference?

If your file would survive exporting to HTML from Word, I might try doing that, and then using PrinceXML to convert to PDF... at least just to compare the resulting size.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:34 AM   #5
Kosst Amojan
Addict

I use foxit instead but got only a slightly smaller file, I try this PrinceXML
Advert