Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-27-2009, 11:50 AM   #1
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Pay What You Like Ebook

Faber have released "What Price Liberty?" as a pay-what-you-like ebook (in PDF & ePub). This model has been used successfully by NIN and Radiohead on music releases.

Quote:
Download the eBook of What Price Liberty? and pay what you think is fair.

Available exclusively from April 27 until the official publication date of June 4, 2009, you can download the eBook and set your own price. How much will you pay?
http://www.whatpriceliberty.co.uk/
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:57 AM   #2
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

Device: none
Interesting eBook. Thanks for the link!. I thought this is paying for the ebook of your liking.
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
excellent find moejoe ! especially as this book appears to be available both in pdf AND (drm-free, looks like...) epub !! brilliant iniatiative. and i like the choose-your-own-price proposition. perhaps i'll have to give my "no new books" moratorium a little break if only to support the idea, especially since the book looks really interesting.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
We have to pay before we get it. And since I don't know the author at all, how can I judge what it truly is worth to me before reading it?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:10 PM   #5
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
We have to pay before we get it. And since I don't know the author at all, how can I judge what it truly is worth to me before reading it?
No, you don't have to pay at all. There's an option for 0.00. So download, if you like, and pay later, or don't pay anything at all.
Advert
Old 04-27-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
No, you don't have to pay at all. There's an option for 0.00. So download, if you like, and pay later, or don't pay anything at all.
That's not bad at all then. I can go back after reading and pay.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #7
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
That's not bad at all then. I can go back after reading and pay.

Yeah, it worked really well for both Nine Inch Nails with their collaborative Niggy Tardust album, and Radiohead's In Rainbows.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:23 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Yeah, it worked really well for both Nine Inch Nails with their collaborative Niggy Tardust album, and Radiohead's In Rainbows.
i bought that one. i think i gave them 5£ for it.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:26 PM   #9
Moejoe
Banned

I hope the idea catches on
Old 04-27-2009, 02:37 PM   #10
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
There's a "read extract" link that has a PDF of the first 23 pages. Entire book is over 450 pages (TOC says the index starts on 449.)

It'd be nice if the excerpt were in ePub as well, but at least there's something to look at before deciding how much to pay.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:39 PM   #11
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
There's a "read extract" link that has a PDF of the first 23 pages. Entire book is over 450 pages (TOC says the index starts on 449.)

It'd be nice if the excerpt were in ePub as well, but at least there's something to look at before deciding how much to pay.
i didn't even notice that, thanks for pointing it out. it seems they thought of everything.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:06 PM   #12
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Sorry for being off-topic for just a moment, but is there anywhere on the forum that has details on just how to convert epub to other formats, particularly Sony's own?

I ask because I find pretty much all epub files quite unreadable on the Sony Reader, and What Price Liberty - which I just bought - surely must be the most unreadable of all. I've tried converting it through Calibre, but it's coming out a bit, er, strange. I've tried searching the forum for details, but either it's not there or I'm missing it. Anyway, back to the regular scheduled programming, as it were.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:23 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by garygibsonsf View Post
Sorry for being off-topic for just a moment, but is there anywhere on the forum that has details on just how to convert epub to other formats, particularly Sony's own?

I ask because I find pretty much all epub files quite unreadable on the Sony Reader, and What Price Liberty - which I just bought - surely must be the most unreadable of all. I've tried converting it through Calibre, but it's coming out a bit, er, strange. I've tried searching the forum for details, but either it's not there or I'm missing it. Anyway, back to the regular scheduled programming, as it were.
Use Calibre. It has its own section.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:38 PM   #14
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygibsonsf View Post

I've just had a look at the .epub I downloaded and it's fine, working TOC, readable text, front cover in place. Well put together overall (no right justification, but that's not a big thing for me).

What exactly is wrong with your copy?
Old 04-28-2009, 10:39 PM   #15
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
OK. Has anyone actually received a link to get the book? I chose to pay zero, so I could see if (a) I wanted to read the book (and the author was reasonably literate and (b) if I could convert the epub for the Kindle. i tried two different email addresses (both mailinator based, as I don't need more spam) and have yet to receive a link.

Any others?
koland is offline   Reply With Quote